Become a Patron!

Yet another one of my famous "Mickey Mouse Ears" Orchid builds.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
K3Ax7rF.png

kYafLJc.png

r3BK0jl.png

7 wraps/22g.....total of .19ohms

Last edited:

Amir_Wazir

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice. I'm super jealous of that build deck, I'm still trying to deal with the tiny one on the Fogger v4.1, which is severely trying my patience ATM.

vaporelse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's why I got a 26650 mech. I couldn't handle those 22mm decks.

Now I can get in there with a hammer and visegrips and go to work.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a couple more coming that you'll like. Did you see my latest "Shorty"?

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for posting this, I just got my Orchid in on Monday. Totally forgot that I needed to raise the coils up so they wouldn't burn the insulator.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is the white spacer between the mod and the top Micarta?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
uLDTMMi.jpg

This should be here by the weekend.
f5nvMYz.jpg

This should be on it's way from Hawaii by the beginning of December.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
xdhbHRp.png

drs8bwS.png

ysiZQ5B.png

7 wraps/22g.....total of .19ohms
Thanks for posting this, I just got my Orchid in on Monday. Totally forgot that I needed to raise the coils up so they wouldn't burn the insulator.
I build mine with the tops of the coils even with the screws and havent burned it yet...

Nice looking build er, @fransican ... :)

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What diameter do you use? I tried to build 24 gauge once but it kept shorting on the walls.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry, what diameter do you wrap around? 2mm?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Most of the time yes...but on Orchids I drop to 1.5mm for clearance reasons.

Krom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does putting the coils up that high effect the wicking at all? I've got a v3 and usually put the coils about 2-3mm from the airflow. Been wondering if going higher up might help. Also, how do you wick your little beastie? I love these little guys, only my favorite flavors get to fill her up, so building better is a must!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Does putting the coils up that high effect the wicking at all? I've got a v3 and usually put the coils about 2-3mm from the airflow. Been wondering if going higher up might help. Also, how do you wick your little beastie? I love these little guys, only my favorite flavors get to fill her up, so building better is a must!
Wicking is not effected. I prefer to have the airflow develop well below the coils, plus I do offset legs on my coils so they are centred...doing this places them farther from the posts and over the threads...so raising them up is necessary in order to prevent them from contacting the sides of the chimney.
As for wicking...the ends of the wick should just make contact with the build deck.....they are to be nowhere near the air holes, and there is no need for them to extend into the juice channels whatsoever. The last two items are the main reason why so many have leaking issues with the Kayfuns and Orchids.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As for wicking...the ends of the wick should just make contact with the build deck.....they are to be nowhere near the air holes, and there is no need for them to extend into the juice channels whatsoever. The last two items are the main reason why so many have leaking issues with the Kayfuns and Orchids.

Agree with this. Pretty much the same way I build my Fogger v4 too. No leaks once I got that figured out.

Do ya fill from the top or use the fill port?

Since the fill port is soo tiny and sorta overlaps the deck, I make sure the chimney is fast, cover the airholes and just take the top off and pour the juice in. Lots easier with high-VG juice than a small gauge needle, IMO.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well I built it with 24 gauge on 1.5mm, and now I want to try to fit 2mm. I want to get more cotton in there.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My similar build, except using 28 gauge and 14 wraps each on a 1.8mm screwdriver. (1.1 ohms)
Yes, the edge of the coil IS pretty close to the edge of the deck, but it was pushed a smidgen father over when I wicked it. Not worrying about wicking the channels makes it work. :)

nmju9qyl.jpg

It's a nice thing to build on. :)

Last edited:

Krom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wicking is not effected. I prefer to have the airflow develop well below the coils, plus I do offset legs on my coils so they are centred...doing this places them farther from the posts and over the threads...so raising them up is necessary in order to prevent them from contacting the sides of the chimney.
I had issues initially, but found that just a little tip in/over the channels solved this, and keeping the wick fluffy around it kept it from giving me dry hits. Im gonna rebuild it later and try out just having deck contact. If you get a chance could you post a pic?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
My similar build, except using 28 gauge and 14 wraps each on a 1.8mm screwdriver. (1.1 ohms)
Yes, the edge of the coil IS pretty close to the edge of the deck, but it was pushed a smidgen father over when I wicked it. Not worrying about wicking the channels makes it work. :)

nmju9qyl.jpg

It's a nice thing to build on. :)
I have done that same build with 24g @. .57oms

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I had issues initially, but found that just a little tip in/over the channels solved this, and keeping the wick fluffy around it kept it from giving me dry hits. Im gonna rebuild it later and try out just having deck contact. If you get a chance could you post a pic?
As promised:

Pre-Tuck
mTCtvy4.png

Post Tuck:
0kOQ67Q.png

QCxMtZ1.png

Note that air holes are unobstructed, and that no cotton is in the juice channels.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As promised:

Pre-Tuck
fMDDOhC.png

Post Tuck:
j1Vrmmv.png

bzbwZ4K.png

Note that air holes are unobstructed, and that no cotton is in the juice channels.

That there, is a tut for How It's Done. :)

Righteous build bro....
respect-067.gif

FWIW, if you are a Fogger v4 user, it's the same deal as their best build, just without the 2-part chimney allowing the snipping off/tucking down of wicks. They now have 2-part chims for the Orchid though, so ya could probably do it that way too if you had one.....I intend to get one and try it... ;-)

Krom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I didnt do they mickey ears, but the cottons just on the deck now. Hitting like a champ, just with the little bit of lift i did to the coil.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the V3 on Monday. Have been running dual 8 wrap 26 ga coils at .65 ohms. It keeps up nice on the wicking and makes very nice clouds, but Im not getting the flavor that I expected. I tried running it side by side with my Kayfun using the same joose and still getting better flavor from the Kayfun. My build is setup almost identical to franciscan build but I tuck the tips (about 1/16) into the channels. Is there something I am missing?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
No wick in the juice channels. You are restricting flow to the deck.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Will try after this tank, will that help with flavor, Im not having dry hits?

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my orchid 4 in today and built it. It certainly has a big ol air draw. I see why lung hitters like this thing.

I'm not a lung hitter but I can't wait to let my cloud chasing friends try this tank out.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Will try after this tank, will that help with flavor, Im not having dry hits?
Increased juice flow meets good airflow equals a lot of flavour and vapour production.

Private192

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Increased juice flow meets good airflow equals a lot of flavour and vapour production.

To echo francis, if wicked properly the flavor is spot on at the right wattage.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just want to say thanks for your posts in this thread @franciscan.

Recently got an Orchid v4 clone and was getting really frustrated trying to figure out how to get just the right amount of cotton in the channels to prevent leaks and dry hits.

After seeing this, I did my own mouse ears build with 28g at .86 ohms and with my cotton arranged like yours, I'm about half way done with my first tank with zero leaking after the first few minutes and no dry hits.

Appreciate the insights

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Glad I could be of some assistance. Enjoy your Orchid!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors