Become a Patron!

Yet another "suggest a mech for me" thread

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi folks - I know this gets covered too much already so I won't keep bumping my dumb thread if it gets no replies, but I've read a few others and haven't gotten much out of them, mainly because it seems the OPs don't know quite what they're asking. To some extent, I do.

Wife and I currently have two K100s, two different Caravela clones, a Nemesis clone, and an old-style Stingray clone, all from Fasttech and all made of steel except the K100s, which I think are part aluminum.

Didn't like the K100s because the telescoping function seemed wobbly and scratched a ring in our battery wraps. Don't like the Caravelas because of weak spring issues and flat-top batteries wobbling around even when everything's tight. For some reason it seems the magnets in the Stingray button aren't working, making for a crunchy button that won't self-disengage after firing (Stingray X is high on my list style-wise but this button problem is worrying me). Nemesis has been a good workhorse for me, but after 6 months of heavy use it's showing signs of wear, the threads are getting crunchy, and the button is starting to jam a bit.

We only use 18650s (Sony VTC series, Efest purples, and I just got some new LG 35A's that we're liking so far), primarily drip on simple dual-coil builds in the 0.3-0.6 ohm range (Igo-M and Plume Veil are my go-to toppers), and definitely want a locking function for pocket/purse carry purposes.

Given this extra background information, can anyone suggest some options to look at? At this point I'm halfway considering getting another Nemmy for myself, maybe copper this time, and converting the spring to magnets, but wondering if others have some different good experiences, especially since the wife likes the button style on the Caravela more than the Nemmy/Stingray...thanks!

dmska

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You don't state if you're looking for clones or authentics and I can only speak of what I own so here's my input. I've got three different Paps mods and a surfrider, so of what I can personally recommend for you based on my experience would be the Paps X. Surfrider doesn't have a locking button and my paps v2.5 and V3 get warm buttons on builds with 0.6 ohm coils. The X is my favorite all-around mod, hefty and built with quality. Has a locking button, it is 23mm, though and that matters to some.

Nitrowolf72

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You may also want to give the panzer black hawk a look. Mine has the spring loaded fire button but that's what I prefer and it has a locking ring.

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

WiSilverVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lets see, what can I look at in my stand and recommend......ok, panzer black hawk clone, stingray x clone from 101 vape, FU Hattan copper (monster magnet, monster mod), angels and demons clone (real low price considering a matching mod and dripper - very nice vape and looks cool)

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the advice, folks - forgot to mention that I'm probably staying with clones, my budget won't allow me to purchase a pair of authentics unless the wife and I are already stoked on a design.

That said I'll definitely give the Panzer Black Hawk some thought - not finding much complimentary on GP clones in my research so far but I do like the clean look...

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm sure you've already done this but, have you tried a good cleaning? My button on my Butler gets crunchy, tells me it's time to break it down and clean. 4nine may work for you, cheap as dirt, seen one fir $9.99 (China), small and sleek.

EDIT: I have a K101, what works for me is screwing atty on then tightening the battery tube. Make mine snug, no rattle. My issues are I don't like locking rings, and it's not 22mm at the top. But feels like a solid mod, low voltage drop considering it's all stainless.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have done a basic cleaning, but could probably use a full tear-down and good vodka soak. Any advice for getting off a tiny bit of what appears to be carbon buildup on the firing pin?

My first reaction was to try what you advised with the K100, but it still had a tendency to back off a bit, or it'd screw down to where it would want to auto-fire. And there's that whole skinny-top thing that makes most RDAs look weird.

4nine has its appeal, but from what I understand it doesn't lock - if I were going with something non-locking I'd probably be looking at a Fuhattan...recessed button is fine for sitting on a table, but I wouldn't want to pocket it.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Let's see, I have 2 stainless nemmys, 1 copper nemmy, 1 Stingray X, 1 Black Element, 1 4 nine, 1 Brass Nemmy, 1 Seven 22, 1 DNA30, and 1 GOD180 box mod. If I had to choose just 1 mod to keep, it would be the Stingray X because it hits really hard, has a hybrid cap, and looks phenomenal! My second choice would be the copper Nemmy, because it is a tried and true mod that always works. My Copper Nemmy is over a year old and still works great. As long as you are vaping in the 0.7 ohm and higher range, I would stick with stainless because I think it looks nice and doesn't get dinged up as easy as copper, but with sub-ohm builds under 0.4ohms I would get a copper mod for less voltage drop. The Stingray X gives you the best of both worlds as it is copper inside (for conductivity) and Stainless Steel outside (for durability and looks). Hope that helps.

CV :)

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Have done a basic cleaning, but could probably use a full tear-down and good vodka soak. Any advice for getting off a tiny bit of what appears to be carbon buildup on the firing pin?

My first reaction was to try what you advised with the K100, but it still had a tendency to back off a bit, or it'd screw down to where it would want to auto-fire. And there's that whole skinny-top thing that makes most RDAs look weird.

4nine has its appeal, but from what I understand it doesn't lock - if I were going with something non-locking I'd probably be looking at a Fuhattan...recessed button is fine for sitting on a table, but I wouldn't want to pocket it.
What is the pin made of? I use isopropyl for threads and majority of my mod and to remove and debris. For copper /Brass contacts I use a bit of vinegar on a paper towel and shake salt on that, polishes them nice and shiny, use isopropyl to remove and salt left behind.

guppstatus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
4 nine, thing is awesome, compact with it's hybrid cap. Flush button, short throw, awesome little thing. Haven't had it fire in my pocket ever.

Last edited:
D

Donald Bickers

lC7YvBj.jpg
hcigar GYRO,,,just got this yesterday and am loving it,im using it in 18350 mech mode,,and it is authentic

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^ Now that's interesting! Does it have a bottom fire and a locking ring when in mech mode? And do you just leave that locked when the regulated head is on? Not sure what to think about that "gravity switch," or if I'd want a 35W regulated device (I normally vape a little higher than that), but that thing is still pretty darn cool - would have been a perfect step-up when I moved from Egos to mods...

D

Donald Bickers

yes it does have a locking ring,,,but in mech mode it stands up without firing,that works for me,,when you go to regulated mode you have to turn the delrin in the firing switch over,that makes the button fire at all times,so you can use it as a regulated device,,,,,,IMO this thing is sweet,,,,,best of both worlds,,,,,AND,,,,,its authentic not a clone.

D

Donald Bickers

I also have a seven22,,,,it has a gravity switch,,,they work well.you can lock them once you get them set,,
the 26650 is just to big for me,,,,almost need a 2 wheeler to carry it around

D

Donald Bickers

It30ikd.jpg
heres how I have it setup now/Gyro in 18350 mech mode w/Kayfun Lite

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
stingray X.jpg

The Stingray X clone has literally been the best clone mech I've bought.. The thing hits hard in hybrid mode - even using just a kayfun.

for 35$ you really can't go wrong.. plus the thing is beautiful and small as hell with an 18350

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Let's see, I have 2 stainless nemmys, 1 copper nemmy, 1 Stingray X, 1 Black Element, 1 4 nine, 1 Brass Nemmy, 1 Seven 22, 1 DNA30, and 1 GOD180 box mod. If I had to choose just 1 mod to keep, it would be the Stingray X because it hits really hard, has a hybrid cap, and looks phenomenal! My second choice would be the copper Nemmy, because it is a tried and true mod that always works. My Copper Nemmy is over a year old and still works great. As long as you are vaping in the 0.7 ohm and higher range, I would stick with stainless because I think it looks nice and doesn't get dinged up as easy as copper, but with sub-ohm builds under 0.4ohms I would get a copper mod for less voltage drop. The Stingray X gives you the best of both worlds as it is copper inside (for conductivity) and Stainless Steel outside (for durability and looks). Hope that helps.

CV :)

Haha, didn't see your post before I posted mine - basically said the same thing about the SRX - loving mine!

D

Donald Bickers

View attachment 8415

The Stingray X clone has literally been the best clone mech I've bought.. The thing hits hard in hybrid mode - even using just a kayfun.

for 35$ you really can't go wrong.. plus the thing is beautiful and small as hell with an 18350
I love my Stingray X,awesome mod and beautifull,I don't know about yours but mine you have to lock it every time as it wont stand up on its own in 18650 mode,

VU Sponsors