Become a Patron!

You never forget your first

KingFisher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Did my first coil build tonight. 30 gauge kanthal on a new Kayfun. Came out to 2 ohms.Not perfect but I think it turned out pretty damn good for a first build. Flavor and hit are awesome. Have a couple Aspire Nautilus that I've been using but got tired of burning out the coils. Running it on a Sigelei VMAX 5. Have a Pioneer4You IPV 3 150W box mod coming tomorrow. Can't wait to be able to hit at higher watts!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    746.2 KB · Views: 37
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 36
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 33

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not bad!

You can get your coils tighter by firing the device (before you add your wick) and getting the coils glowing. Let off the fire button and carefully pinch your coils together with tweezers. Then they all should touch sides.

Not that it matters, but your coils are more uniform that way.

Good job on the first RYO coil.

KingFisher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not bad!

You can get your coils tighter by firing the device (before you add your wick) and getting the coils glowing. Let off the fire button and carefully pinch your coils together with tweezers. Then they all should touch sides.

Not that it matters, but your coils are more uniform that way.

Good job on the first RYO coil.

Thanks! I did dry fire and squeeze the coils together but just not enough. I've done some research before my attempt and saw them pretty tight on the videos and pictures. I think my excitement that the ohms were decent got the best of me and my patience.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hell of a lot better than my first RBA build..LOL!

My first RBA was a "Phoenix" RDA. An utter fail of a device due to melty plastic post insulators and PITA space to work in, but it was a start. :)

TwbqCl.jpg

We didn't have cotton, hemp or such things for wicking then, just silica and SS.
That was my attempt as using SS in a dripper in 2012 with 32 gauge wire...lol..eesh.

Things have definitely changed for the better....

KingFisher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

My first RBA was a "Phoenix" RDA. An utter fail of a device due to melty plastic post insulators and PITA space to work in, but it was a start. :)

TwbqCl.jpg

You are much braver then me. Starting with mesh. I started with cotton and a #2 drill bit to wrap the coil. Next try will be wrapping some Ekowool.

jamieg71

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good job! At the end of the day what matters is how it vapes for you, and if you ain't smoking analogs you're on the right track. There's tons of tuts and bids on coil building should you get the "bug" for building. I've been experimenting since I started and enjoy the nuances of different builds. Lately though, its the simple stuff that I fall back on. Congrats and enjoy the ride.

KingFisher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good job! At the end of the day what matters is how it vapes for you, and if you ain't smoking analogs you're on the right track. There's tons of tuts and bids on coil building should you get the "bug" for building. I've been experimenting since I started and enjoy the nuances of different builds. Lately though, its the simple stuff that I fall back on. Congrats and enjoy the ride.

I definitely got the bug. Bought my vaporizer 3 weeks ago. Started with the Itaste CLK 1280, week later got a Sigelei zmax 5, and just ordered a IPV 3 box mod, 5 different tanks. I think I'll stick to the simple to. I don't mind building coils and changing wicks but I don't have a desire to drip. I was surprised at the flavor difference with a rba. I'm digging it

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Congrats! Kayfuns are a good solid place to start building....if you can get a Kayfun right than simple dripper set ups are even easier since RDA's are much easier to tweak than draining and refilling the tank....

My first build also was with a A7 atty....basically a crappy ripoff of a phoenix. I thought I was really a big vaper the first time a wrapped that thing...my second was a Diver V2 and it made me almost want to quit...I thought if all atty's were that hard to rebuild than people were crazy for doing it....then I got a Kayfun and a Patriot awhile later and loved it ever since...congrats on your first build and happy vaping! It works for you is all that matters.... and for a laugh, I do have a picture of that first A7 build... its ugly but I was so proud...

Attachments

• A7a.jpg
    A7a.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 20

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

TwbqCl.jpg

We didn't have cotton, hemp or such things for wicking then, just silica and SS.
That was my attempt as using SS in a dripper in 2012 with 32 gauge wire...lol..eesh.

Things have definitely changed for the better....

Ahh...the good old horrifying days!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If memory serves....my first ten coils wound up in the bin. That would have been avoided had we known about micro coils at the time.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If memory serves....my first ten coils wound up in the bin. That would have been avoided had we known about micro coils at the time.

Man, I feel ya....soooo many genisis coils wrapped by hand Zen-style. I still do it sometimes just to keep in practice though. :)

Contact coils, although not actually new, are a lovely thing.

That, and the quality of clone gear has risen exponentially (for the most part) since 2013.
If ya want a tiny boat anchor, I have an early 2013 Tobeco Odysseus clone I'd gotten in a co-op for $30 that is utterly useless...threading is so bad.

Last edited:

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@CaFF hey... I feel the same about the clone gear.... I have a couple authentic things like a Kayfun lite plus v2 and a Patriot but I am mostly on a clone budget and it's nice to get decent gear at an affordable price. but you still have to be careful. The only short I ever got was from my EHpro TOBH (I also bought the Infinite version and I like that one better.) no matter how hard I try the screws won't stay tight and just loosen themselfs with time. If I hadn't had a VTC 5 in the mech when it sparked on me I think it would have been much worse. Luckily it just drained the battery from full to 3.6 in about half a second. I as able to save the battery but I only use it on higher resistance builds in a regulated mod because I know it's life has been cut short. Still have to be careful....also if you want a bigger boat anchor I have a Tobecco Flash-e-vapor 2 clone....I liked the vape but it is a huge PITA to build having to plug the holes with mesh and line the wicks up just right. I only use it in dripper mode these days to try out new builds since you have to wrap the wire around the screws like a kayfun...i know it was all the rage in Europe but it doesn't make it right ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@CaFF hey... I feel the same about the clone gear.... I have a couple authentic things like a Kayfun lite plus v2 and a Patriot but I am mostly on a clone budget and it's nice to get decent gear at an affordable price. but you still have to be careful. The only short I ever got was from my EHpro TOBH (I also bought the Infinite version and I like that one better.) no matter how hard I try the screws won't stay tight and just loosen themselfs with time. If I hadn't had a VTC 5 in the mech when it sparked on me I think it would have been much worse. Luckily it just drained the battery from full to 3.6 in about half a second. I as able to save the battery but I only use it on higher resistance builds in a regulated mod because I know it's life has been cut short. Still have to be careful....also if you want a bigger boat anchor I have a Tobecco Flash-e-vapor 2 clone....I liked the vape but it is a huge PITA to build having to plug the holes with mesh and line the wicks up just right. I only use it in dripper mode these days to try out new builds since you have to wrap the wire around the screws like a kayfun...i know it was all the rage in Europe but it doesn't make it right ;)

Dang, bummer about your TOBH..:(

I have a copper TOBH v2 from FT and it's been nice, no issues. Although, I like my Veritas clone from them better. ;)

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dang, bummer about your TOBH..:(

I have a copper TOBH v2 from FT and it's been nice, no issues. Although, I like my Veritas clone from them better. ;)

right on! I love it when I hear a happy FT story. I have always been leary of ordering drippers from FT...I've got a couple mechs from them...the black chrome magnito I got from them was my first mech and it was garbage...then I got a brass nemesis from them and that mod is awesome and I still use it. I'm glad you got good stuff from them...I read threw their forums and reviews and then I think about how long it takes to get anything from them and I just end up paying the extra to get what I want from the states cause I know I am impatient and honest about it....FT is great for spare parts though....I've gotten a shit ton of o-rings and kayfun windows and other random junk and it's all fit everything I needed it for perfectly.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
right on! I love it when I hear a happy FT story. I have always been leary of ordering drippers from FT...I've got a couple mechs from them...the black chrome magnito I got from them was my first mech and it was garbage...then I got a brass nemesis from them and that mod is awesome and I still use it. I'm glad you got good stuff from them...I read threw their forums and reviews and then I think about how long it takes to get anything from them and I just end up paying the extra to get what I want from the states cause I know I am impatient and honest about it....FT is great for spare parts though....I've gotten a shit ton of o-rings and kayfun windows and other random junk and it's all fit everything I needed it for perfectly.

Ya, I've been buying mostly from USA shipped stores lately, whether Focal or an actual US vendor. It's not so much the time as the unknown arrival state. I get stuff from them in about 9-12 days usually (being on the west coast helps), but if it's broken, then it's waste of time.

My last FT order, I'd ordered a KF Quartz tank setup for my Orchid v4 and it arrived busted. Not doing that again.;-)

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ya, I've been buying mostly from USA shipped stores lately, whether Focal or an actual US vendor. It's not so much the time as the unknown arrival state. I get stuff from them in about 9-12 days usually (being on the west coast helps), but if it's broken, then it's waste of time.

My last FT order, I'd ordered a KF Quartz tank setup for my Orchid v4 and it arrived busted. Not doing that again.;-)

Yeah I agree with you on that too about the arrival state. I am also on the west coast but it still seems to take 3 weeks..I've ordered a lot of things from Europe because I went threw a Atmistique phase but I never ordered glass thanks from them for that fear...they do awesome packaging but for a little extra I got Phiniac to make me a custom one off thank for my divers I love...It's always the dellima isn't it?

Attachments

• AP3.jpg
    AP3.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 13

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I agree with you on that too about the arrival state. I am also on the west coast but it still seems to take 3 weeks..I've ordered a lot of things from Europe because I went threw a Atmistique phase but I never ordered glass thanks from them for that fear...they do awesome packaging but for a little extra I got Phiniac to make me a custom one off thank for my divers I love...It's always the dellima isn't it?

Ya, plus Phiniac is just awesome. I can't really afford her stuff,but it's quality.:)

I recall when she first started out and it's amazing how much good stuff has happened since...like the Phiniac tins for DZNutz mods....

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't really either...but even though I started on clearos I prefered carto tanks till I really got the hang of wrapping coils...during the FDA scare I bought a lifetime supply that is collecting dust....I just wanted one really nice "dress tank" for special occasions that looked really nice because I thought I would use cartos forever. I did the "max out a credit card buying vape stuff because the fda is going to take everything away" scared vapor thing so I really dont have the money to buy anything new....other than my vaporshark DNA 40 I haven't gotten anything new for at least 6 months...but it doesn't really matter does it because I am happy with my gear....I still give out my old spare single coil Kanger tanks and ego batteries (I rebuild all the heads so they put out a better vape,) for friends that are getting interested in vaping because they still work better than most cheap cigalikes and once in awhile I still use a carto just because I have them. The gear now days and even the carto's from last year are so much better than what everyone had years ago by leaps in bounds....if I had gotten an evod and an ego in 2012 instead of a blu I probally would have made the switch a year earlier....no matter what you get it's such an awesome time to be a vapor I am glad so many people are making the switch now because it's so easy to get a good vape these days that it makes it easier to stay with it....I am just happy to do what I can to help my friends quit smoking like my mom helped me

VU Sponsors