Become a Patron!

Youde Coil Winder Jig v3: They nailed it!

Bryan Miller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I own a lot of vaping hardware, insane amounts of DIY flavoring, kanthal, batteries, etc. However, this is my favorite purchase to date.

I kept my eyes on the Kuro winders as they were introduced. Authentic seemed a bit steep for decent quality and clones were iffy. Finally this stainless steel refined beauty with the kinks worked out emerged.

All I can say is WOW: I will never hand wrap another coil again. I am by no means an amateur coil builder, having done fused claptons, zippers, etc. However, I have gone back to the similar ways and this beauty is irreplaceable in my tool kit.

Let's get to some images...

PERFECT SCREW SIZE / SHAPE

EXAMPLE 1: 30g kanthal @ 2mm ID

NOTE: I have NEVER used 30g before on it's own. This is my first time wrapping a coil with it, let alone my first time using it with a jig. My first wrap was a bit off but it was very easy to learn from there.

Example #2: How about a big boy? 22G A1 Kanthal @ 3.5mm!

22G vs 30G!

Example #3: 26G a1 kanthal @ 2.5mm ID

Example #4: 28g a1 kanthal @ 2mm ID
NOTE: Wonky old coil that I've used, inserted and removed from an RDA. Old and nasty but still looks great! :)

[/b]

fwtechwiz

Member For 4 Years
I just ordered what might be an earlier version of youde's coil jig, with 6 sizes from 4.0 to 1.5 MM stepped by .5 mm and the wire holding part looks different.
Looks like it should make micro coil building a breeze.

Bryan Miller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just ordered what might be an earlier version of youde's coil jig, with 6 sizes from 4.0 to 1.5 MM stepped by .5 mm and the wire holding part looks different.
Looks like it should make micro coil building a breeze.
I was debating on the first version too but I really wanted to try a kuro style one. Couldn't hurt to order v3 too. I got mine from johnvapes.com on ebay for $10 and change. Definitively authentic and awesome!!

They're both great I hear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I own a lot of vaping hardware, insane amounts of DIY flavoring, kanthal, batteries, etc. However, this is my favorite purchase to date.

I kept my eyes on the Kuro winders as they were introduced. Authentic seemed a bit steep for decent quality and clones were iffy. Finally this stainless steel refined beauty with the kinks worked out emerged.

All I can say is WOW: I will never hand wrap another coil again. I am by no means an amateur coil builder, having done fused claptons, zippers, etc. However, I have gone back to the similar ways and this beauty is irreplaceable in my tool kit.

Let's get to some images...

PERFECT SCREW SIZE / SHAPE

EXAMPLE 1: 30g kanthal @ 2mm ID

NOTE: I have NEVER used 30g before on it's own. This is my first time wrapping a coil with it, let alone my first time using it with a jig. My first wrap was a bit off but it was very easy to learn from there.

Example #2: How about a big boy? 22G A1 Kanthal @ 3.5mm!

22G vs 30G!

Example #3: 26G a1 kanthal @ 2.5mm ID

Example #4: 28g a1 kanthal @ 2mm ID
NOTE: Wonky old coil that I've used, inserted and removed from an RDA. Old and nasty but still looks great! :)

[/b]
I saw your post at Fasttech and ordered on off eBay yesterday for $10 w/free ship. I was in the same boat as you, looking and waiting for the right one to come along. I'm over fussing with coils. Thanks. Looks like they have 7 left.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321836271853

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice little tool !! Just got into RDA's and making my own builds so I think I will pick one up. Thanks for posting

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice little tool !! Just got into RDA's and making my own builds so I think I will pick one up. Thanks for posting
I can't wait till I get mine. I just wrapped 2 the old way and hopefully for the last time. After wrapping a few hundred it gets old. This tool comes from a quality company and it actually looks to be of solid quality and that's why I got one coming. Mine just shipped today and should be here before I need to wrap again.:);)

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got it in the mail and in less than a few minutes I made 2 perfect 2.5mm 24 gauge coils. This thing just made my coil making life a piece of cake. The weight and quality is supburb. This is one of those tools that are made to last a life time. If Snap-on made a coil jig, this would be it. GET ONE NOW!!!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice thing about this tool is you can use large/thick wires (twisted, or Clapton, etc.) with it as well. In addition, you can wrap your coil in both directions.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice thing about this tool is you can use large/thick wires (twisted, or Clapton, etc.) with it as well. In addition, you can wrap your coil in both directions.
I think it's great that a perfect coil can be made in less than a 30 seconds. I feel like I went from rubbing two sticks together to getting a Bic lighter.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I think it's great that a perfect coil can be made in less than a 30 seconds. I feel like I went from rubbing two sticks together to getting a Bic lighter.
I think, it's more like a Zippo, sturdy, quality made product.

Zeu_vapoteuse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ordered it! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Guys, I bought the last one from the ebay seller mentioned above. It just arrived in the mail today. EXCELLENT product for so cheap.

I'm playing around it with it right now, and I love it. I work full time, AND I'm a single full time father of a 5 year old...so as you can imagine, I don't have much free time, and when I do, I can't really use what little time I have in wrapping coils ...but with this little tool it makes the process fun and easy for me ;)

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guys, I bought the last one from the ebay seller mentioned above. It just arrived in the mail today. EXCELLENT product for so cheap.

I'm playing around it with it right now, and I love it. I work full time, AND I'm a single full time father of a 5 year old...so as you can imagine, I don't have much free time, and when I do, I can't really use what little time I have in wrapping coils ...but with this little tool it makes the process fun and easy for me ;)
If you want gaped coils just don't use the top piece. The tool is so sturdy and easy to grip they come out just as perfect. This has to be one of my best vape buys ever. Don't forget to give you son a hug.:cool:

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
  • Just built my first dual coils with the coil winder. 6/7 wraps each I think, coming out to 0.5ohms, using 26g wire. Built on my CLT v2 RDA. So far hitting beautifully!

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you want gaped coils just don't use the top piece. The tool is so sturdy and easy to grip they come out just as perfect. This has to be one of my best vape buys ever. Don't forget to give you son a hug.:cool:

The only part that I'm getting the hang of, is trying to make the coils perfectly symetrical, any advice?

I had the same problem when using drill bits.

Basically, what I'm doing with the coil winder, is I'm doing 1 less wrap total then I need, and then I'm flipping the coil around on the coil winder and doing the last wrap on the other side. Seems to working well!

Is that what you are doing? Or are you just doing all wraps at once, and then adjusting the left leg after you take it off?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Another option is to add 1 more wrap, turn the coil over and unwrap 1 turn from the "bent" side. However, I never had the need to do that with this coil jig.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only part that I'm getting the hang of, is trying to make the coils perfectly symetrical, any advice?

I had the same problem when using drill bits.

Basically, what I'm doing with the coil winder, is I'm doing 1 less wrap total then I need, and then I'm flipping the coil around on the coil winder and doing the last wrap on the other side. Seems to working well!

Is that what you are doing? Or are you just doing all wraps at once, and then adjusting the left leg after you take it off?
I'm just wrapping all in one shot then pulling on the legs to make sure they're tight. I've also found to make sure the peg is all the way down and snug it up with the Allen wrench. It takes a little practice, but you'll master it in no time.

Chaotic_Vapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got one 3 days ago. Believe it or not if you get it down right it can make beautiful parallel coils aswell. I also wrapped my 24 gauge 2 strand twisted coils on it too. It's a marvelous jig and I think I paid 15 for it at vapordna, got it in 2 days.

Sent from my dos terminal.

A. Nuss Braun

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got it in the mail and in less than a few minutes I made 2 perfect 2.5mm 24 gauge coils. This thing just made my coil making life a piece of cake. The weight and quality is supburb. This is one of those tools that are made to last a life time. If Snap-on made a coil jig, this would be it. GET ONE NOW!!!
They could easily mark it 'Snap-On', w/ perms, of course, if'fn there were room on the truck, hah hah ! This Youde appears to be the 'end-all', for this pattern of device. I've had a couple, but usually I just hand-wind, using the block type device,with the included mandrels, torch 'em, shape the legs, and shape as install. (Snap-On is soooo marked up, but you bust it, they replace it.)

Croak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've had one of these for awhile, my only complaint is the rod storage, needs a cap or something so when you unscrew it to use it you don't spill your rods all over the place, and if you do want to store the rods, there's still no room to store the Allen key. My solution was to just store the rods and key elsewhere.

Actually, I do have another complaint, the rods could be longer (about as long as the removable section), making for easier spaced coil construction.

Other than that, it works great, feels quality. Hard to beat for the price and the fact that you get 4 coil sizes in one package. I got mine from VapeNW back in late July for $9.95.

VU Sponsors