Become a Patron!

Your Opinions on Cotton taste

Cloud79

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It seems like about 25% of the time I get some taste that reminds me of a burnt wick. In your experiences, is it the cotton that somehow got contaminated between drying and getting bagged or might it be that I somehow got finger oils on the cotton? I wash my hands before rewicking my atty, but I can't figure out why this is happening to me. I hate setting it all up and expect a fresh new clean taste, and YUCK! All advice is welcome.

TwizzleCheeze

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've gotten a slight burnt taste after a few builds but it goes away after a bit. Not sure what causes it, or if it's normal.

vapingmandycat

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
I like to use cotton in my kayfun , it works great for wicking and tanking. But for testing flavors i actually prefer the silica wick on a small rba like a squid

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I get a dry taste from cotton once in a while. Prolly just me vaping too quick and the wick isn't keeping up. It is more noticeable with cotton than it is with silica.

Chip Chipperson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I get a dry taste from cotton once in a while. Prolly just me vaping too quick and the wick isn't keeping up. It is more noticeable with cotton than it is with silica.

Agreed.. I only notice it when I over-vape on the kayfun.. After I let it sit for a few min its back to normal

Alan Woltemath

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It seems like about 25% of the time I get some taste that reminds me of a burnt wick. In your experiences, is it the cotton that somehow got contaminated between drying and getting bagged or might it be that I somehow got finger oils on the cotton? I wash my hands before rewicking my atty, but I can't figure out why this is happening to me. I hate setting it all up and expect a fresh new clean taste, and YUCK! All advice is welcome.
It could also be that you are packing the cotton to tight in the coil restricting the flow of juice. I had that problem when i first started using cotton. With cotton less is more.

Cloud79

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It could also be that you are packing the cotton to tight in the coil restricting the flow of juice. I had that problem when i first started using cotton. With cotton less is more.
This could be a factor. I use a kayfun and it used to wanna leak a bit. I give it room to slide back and forth without much resistance and still enough cotton to keep from gurgling occasionally. Fine line there, I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Chip Chipperson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Yup agreed.. I used to try and use too much.. be surprised how little cotton you need.. Sometimes I think I'm using way too little cotton, but then it works fine.

TwizzleCheeze

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

That's probably it. I was having that issue when I first started with cotton.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
So far cotton has been the least intrusive wicking material. Don't let it dry burn, keep the wick saturated, and you should be fine. I have some Ready Wick on the way and I'm excited to try that, but cotton is my go to in everything.

Cloud79

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cotton is my choice wick also. Lately though I have been having some issues. Maybe I have been slowly using more and more, but I usually dont have any issues with wetting it during the build and vaping right away. I get rid of any cotton ball that I get bad flavor from and use a new one, seems the whole cotton ball has flavor when that happens, so maybe its the cotton. Two or three balls in a row happened last weekend and really got my nerves... So just wanted other experiences. Thanks for all the answers so far!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cotton here too (organic), I still boil, rinse and dry it. No cotton taste of foul taste. I agree with Dhim cotton is the least intrusive I have used too.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You really have to boil your cotton.

Even the CVS cotton has been treated with chemicals that my have trace amounts left from the process. I actually called the 800 number in small print on the bag to find this out.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
LOL - from the title of the thread, I thought there was a new 'cotton' flavoring.

I've used cotton just a couple times. It worked better for me when I 'primed' the cotton after building the coil. I just doused it in my nic base and made sure it was saturated, then put my tank together to use it. That way, it was ready to go right away, and I didn't have to wait to be sure my e-liquid soaked in before taking the first vape.

LadyBren

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have tried a few cottons and it does make a difference in what you use, at least for me because
I seem to be very sensitive to flavors including, mesh, silica and medals. I bought the organic
cotton from the local drug store and boiled it twice in distilled water and still there was "that Taste"
then I found hemp cotton and I really like it and use it quite a bit. Recently I came across a cotton
called, Pima Cotton Sliver from Cottonman.com (4 oz for 10.00 and it is a lot) and I have to say this is
the cleanest stuff I have used it has no pesticides or chemicals and although I also boiled it before using
I probably didn't need to, I just feel safer if I do.

buffaloguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Many are saying rayon is much better than cotton. Apparently you can get it at sallys beauty supply in the states by the box. 500ft of it for like $11. It doesnt swell like cotton and you can pack the coil. It actually doest soak up juice and hold it like cotton does and just wicks juice straight to the coil. Planning on picking up a box of it this weekend. Luckily my wife is a hairdresser and gets the pro discount there so itll be even cheaper.

Im a big fan of cotton but would love a more durable option. Like others have said once that cotton gets burned you have to rewick. Ive had many occasion where even with alot of experience I end up having to rewick a tank I just finished because I packed the cotton just a little too tight and it didnt wick well. I just cant force myself to vape thru that taste.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've moved from cotton to rayon - much, much cleaner flavor and no break in time.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been using cotton yarn. I boil it, no cotton taste. I was using sterile cotton, but I'm too impatient with the guess work and never had it right.

crimboss

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You might be experiencing ,cotton picking dirty fingers. Use gloves when wicking.

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Many are saying rayon is much better than cotton. Apparently you can get it at sallys beauty supply in the states by the box. 500ft of it for like $11. It doesnt swell like cotton and you can pack the coil. It actually doest soak up juice and hold it like cotton does and just wicks juice straight to the coil. Planning on picking up a box of it this weekend. Luckily my wife is a hairdresser and gets the pro discount there so itll be even cheaper.

Im a big fan of cotton but would love a more durable option. Like others have said once that cotton gets burned you have to rewick. Ive had many occasion where even with alot of experience I end up having to rewick a tank I just finished because I packed the cotton just a little too tight and it didnt wick well. I just cant force myself to vape thru that taste.
I know this is an old post but do you still like the rayon? Also is there any place to get it besides Sally's or maybe online somewhere?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors