Become a Patron!

Your Subtank mini builds

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi guys!
So wana try some new builds what builds are you guys doing?
At the moment i have twisted 30gauge wrapped 6times 2,4mm ID Seems to be working ok but after something better
Recently made 4 of HIC recipes pnut butter, Ferrero roche, strawberry malt and marshmallow fudge. And wanting flavour flavour flavour more of a pop lol
So what gauge, inside diameter, number of wraps, tight or loose are you using for flavour! Cheers

happy vaping

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try the .5 ohm stock coils. Doubtful you'll beat those for flavor, no matter what you build.
Had my subtank for about 2-3 weeks now tryed the .5 for the first time today and i find the flavour on them to be very poor lol
That said i made a coil last week 6 tight wraps around 2,4mm bit gave me 1ohm and the flavour was amazing but when i changed it i couldnt get that flavour back!? I think that would of been a 27 gauge but im not sure as was a left over peace! Bazaar i cannot get that flavour back and im trying everything lol
And no i dont have temp control

happy vaping

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My normal is 26 gauge 5/6 wraps around a 2.5mm rod, comes out to between 0.60 and 0.70ohms, I cut the wick really short so is only just touching the deck and away from the channels, also I used a dremel to make the juice channels bigger and that also helped with flavor.

Yesterday did my 1st nickel builds, did the same amount of wraps and same rod with 28 gauge nickel, came out to 0.09ohms, at 450F 30 watts, flavor and vapor is really good, a notch up from my kanthal build.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My normal is 26 gauge 5/6 wraps around a 2.5mm rod, comes out to between 0.60 and 0.70ohms, I cut the wick really short so is only just touching the deck and away from the channels, also I used a dremel to make the juice channels bigger and that also helped with flavor.

Yesterday did my 1st nickel builds, did the same amount of wraps and same rod with 28 gauge nickel, came out to 0.09ohms, at 450F 30 watts, flavor and vapor is really good, a notch up from my kanthal build.
Would like to try nickel but i dont have the tc also i drilled 2 holes to help wicking and i use 50/50 juices lol
I'd say try a new one. IMO, the stock .5s are dam hard to beat.
I use 'em at 80% VG too.
Really? This twisted wire seem to have wooped the occ :/ i dont really wana buy a pack of coils to test i wana rebuild as its hell of alot cheaper lol

happy vaping

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The "flavor" coils as we call them are basicly any coils where the wires touch such as micro coils.

The way this works is this gives more surface area touching the wick therefore will burn more juice concentrating the flavor even more so.

So pretty much any type of micro coil at what ever ohms you chose will give you the "flavor" coil.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How well its wicked and what type of wick is also important and more so what juice youre actually vaping on...there is no single magic coil just by itself...Lets not forget the power we are using to vape as well..Sometimes low power brings flavor out..sometimes higher power brings it out.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yea im using Japanese cotton maybe il try cutting the wick even shorter so it just touches the holes iv drilled into the side? Will length of wick make any difference to flavour? Im vaping diy juices at the moment HICs recipes

happy vaping

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Might be a case of vapor's tongue!
I did think that to but a mate tryed it and said flavour was better last time and he dont vape very often lol, it was the cotton candy what was full of flavour then dropped on the next build i guess il just keep playing around with it
I do like this tank though I recently bought the lemo 2 and found the stm to be better in flavour

happy vaping

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yea im using Japanese cotton maybe il try cutting the wick even shorter so it just touches the holes iv drilled into the side? Will length of wick make any difference to flavour? Im vaping diy juices at the moment HICs recipes

happy vaping

Its mostly what material of wick you use...Japanese cotton seems to be a common choice...I personally use the Koh Gen Do cotton...As long as it wicks properly and the thickness inside the coil is correct it can make a difference..Also consider playing with power a little bit..sometimes you have to sacrifice some clouds for a better flavor..It seems a never ending quest..lol

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Its mostly what material of wick you use.Japanese cotton seems to be a common choice...As long as it wicks properly and the thickness inside the coil is correct it can make a difference..Aldo play with power a little bit..sometimes you have to sacrifice some clouds for a better flavor..It seems a never ending quest..lol
You got the never ending quest rite lol alot of diy juice wasted alot of coils made dry hit land no flavour land u name it iv been there haha! Yes im a flavour chaser so i dont mind losing vapour lol, thats why i do 50/50 mixes i find flavour seems a little better, even poor vapour on this stm is still better vapour then my nautilus mini witch i dont use anymore lol

happy vaping

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
b94186d86d954d52fdf5edfe64945c8b.jpg
im all set for a wile now though lol got my cycle going and still more i wana try! Lol

happy vaping

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You should try an RDA for flavor..i just got a magma a few days ago and its pretty nice..a little restricted air flow wise and not much of a cloud maker but the flavor is really great on one.

Having learned a bit more im going for a Velocity rda now which is said to be great flavor but you can make the clouds to go along with it.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You should try an RDA for flavor..i just got a magma a few days ago and its pretty nice..a little restricted air flow wise and not much of a cloud maker but the flavor is really great on one.

Having learned a bit more im going for a Velocity rda now which is said to be great flavor but you can make the clouds to go along with it.
Sounds good i will think about getting a dripper after iv got my istick 50w as my 30w is abit low,
Drippers ok fpr 50/50 juices or will i cough my lungs up lol

happy vaping

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Amanda is certainly correct...Being that you do diy its a different mix all together with an rda...You want no more than 3 to 6mg of nicotine with them and you really dont even need PG at all...the only pg in my mix is from the nic and flavoring.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sounds good il give it a try all though i can handle quite a harsh hit as i used to smoke the green stuff lol but coming away from all the i feel i dont need that harsh it and starting to like the smoothness cheers

happy vaping

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I guess i should ask if you can make your own coils?...this is a requirement for an rda or at least pre made coils to install in it.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I guess i should ask if you can make your own coils?...this is a requirement for an rda or at least pre made coils to install in it.
Yea i make my coils on the stm ok i think lol
485a1914b80d98eb0b57febb0d14e54b.jpg

Here is my twisted 30 gauge

happy vaping

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You seem to have the older style rba head..not the best for wicking from what ive read...Have you considered the newer version from kanger...it wicks like the occ coils do..you can get an authentic rda base for less than 7 US dollars from fasttech or maybe a local shop has one in your area...Just something to consider.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You seem to have the older style rba head..not the best for wicking from what ive read...Have you considered the newer version from kanger...it wicks like the occ coils do..you can get an authentic rda base for less than 7 US dollars from fasttech or maybe a local shop has one in your area...Just something to consider.
I believe this is the second version juice holes abit bigger then the older ones dont count on that though but i have done 2 holes so isit really necessary?
ee4f241ecb0c9148379300ff3aa99c8a.jpg

happy vaping

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
DSC09483B_zpswzv52iuk.jpg

57C8AA6E-94DF-4BC0-9848-BAE03F63CD8C-8379-000002A457636532_zps68vtnwxq.jpg

spidersilk 9 wrap .41 oh Ti coil on the Subtank RBA deck running around 320 degrees
Iv never heard of spidersilk lol i really beed to get a temp control box mod any suggestions? I dont like big mods i like ones like isticks pocket sizes? Also like the looks of your drip tip iv now changed to a smaller bore has helped the galvour improve a little
ce1467ffad145b292fffd1477b641b15.jpg
i wana get a smaller one though i think that would be even better

happy vaping

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I believe this is the second version juice holes abit bigger then the older ones dont count on that though but i have done 2 holes so isit really necessary?
ee4f241ecb0c9148379300ff3aa99c8a.jpg

happy vaping
Seeing its the newer type now i suppose not....lol

I had to look at one again to see they still have the juice slots in them just not up far enough to pull in juice from the bottom.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Seeing its the newer type now i suppose not....lol

I had to look at one again to see they still have the juice slots in them just not up far enough to pull in juice from the bottom.
Yeah i still may buy the newer bass to try but i dont have any wicking issues since iv drilled the holes

happy vaping

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So its the newer base but with larger holes you drilled into it...or the old base with holes drilled in the cap?..lol

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use this same tank on my subox with spider silk and it works beautifully, nice and compact. This is the Trinity Copa Tip. Apparently the tip of a very popular reviewer on the youtube, I bought it without knowing until I watched one of his videos and saw it...kinda funny.
BAC56B9A-32C4-4299-8D53-723F32C6E383-3491-0000021034768454_zpsaclq5dmy.jpg

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So its the newer base but with larger holes you drilled into it...or the old base with holes drilled in the cap?..lol
This bass just had juice slots at the bottom i drilled 2 holes into it, as i know i think the first lot with just slots were extra small then they bought out these ones with bigger slots what i have i think now the new ones have the holes drilled but no slots?

happy vaping

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Other smaller setups that go towards your smaller is better wish. Im with you on this. BUT the evic...is a beefy as hell and im okay with this. It looks soo much nicer to me then most other mods out there and has style...doesnt really look like a box with buttons and stuff ...classy and clean...my preference tho
DF6C6F6A-E675-4C37-95A6-24E3F0031CD8-3491-0000021155A34253_zpszwlczqmm.jpg

14B9AE16-2C0D-4AB3-A3DB-9D3640B5746B-3491-000002116FC1E302_zpsmjkhc1qz.jpg

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Other smaller setups that go towards your smaller is better wish. Im with you on this. BUT the evic...is a beefy as hell and im okay with this. It looks soo much nicer to me then most other mods out there and has style...doesnt really look like a box with buttons and stuff ...classy and clean...my preference tho
DF6C6F6A-E675-4C37-95A6-24E3F0031CD8-3491-0000021155A34253_zpszwlczqmm.jpg

14B9AE16-2C0D-4AB3-A3DB-9D3640B5746B-3491-000002116FC1E302_zpsmjkhc1qz.jpg
You have the works there lol that kanger on the I stick looks smaller then mine lol i tryed the .5 coil but dint like the flavour i get more of this twisted coil but more juice comes up to the mouth piece:/

happy vaping

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Before moving on to TC, I was running Clapton coils in my sub tanks.... Best flavor hands down
c8631a92ccadd678488ff79fdc1ab12d.jpg

39f534ebb6a15880bcd4d726d89e2f9b.jpg

28/32 Clapton, 3 mm id, 1.2 ohm wicked with rayon... Nice dense warm vape at 25-30 watts

Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Before moving on to TC, I was running Clapton coils in my sub tanks.... Best flavor hands down
c8631a92ccadd678488ff79fdc1ab12d.jpg

39f534ebb6a15880bcd4d726d89e2f9b.jpg

28/32 Clapton, 3 mm id, 1.2 ohm wicked with rayon... Nice dense warm vape at 25-30 watts

Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.
Cheers il give this one a try! Whats difference in flavour and vapour terms does rayon and Japanese cotton have

happy vaping

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is the Nano I built for my roommate. She didn't like the fact that the regular coils sounded like a rocket launcher every time she took a hit. It was also more then enough vapor for her. photo was taken at Nick Hexums (311band) Island house down in the FL Keys...
BC20136C-0FE1-43FD-8A9A-8058892CE95C-4361-0000019BD93C8024_zpstdu9euwx.jpg

095AFDA4-8B5D-40D5-8D27-461D9A7C0108-4361-0000019BE4D69A23_zpsvcrxpaxx.jpg

This is what she uses now...

336A3581-DD7B-4C18-8A14-AB8E9594C552-13845-00000565351778DD_zpsgjhgqu9i.jpg

Believe it or not, i got my roommate off of cigs over 1.5 years ago, but she has no idea i have 1/16 of the things i do and to what extent I am working on this ecig stuff with. I have a home office/extra room that she keeps her butt out of :)

It was the fact that I changed someones life so much in a short period of time and pretty much saved her life, I even secretly got her rom 24gm juice down to 3gm...she just doesn't know it really...hahaha its kind of funny, but she has no idea how lucky she is...I have 5 backups of her favorite setup so she will never be without....

E6130758-B5EF-44CC-8606-10AD75E46AF5-2429-000000AE8E2DF2BC_zpsimwlju6e.jpg

I basically made her vaping experience so complete, that she would just have to flat out give up and smoke a cig, because there is NO excuse for going back to a cig. and I know she wouldn't do that, no matter how many times shes wanted to over this journey. Mostly due to inferior equipment and stuff that just didn't work well. We use to have a lizard juice collection that was pretty big, and that stuff to us now is horrible. You might see all these cool photos of the gear I have, but its been collectively a 2 year process of getting it all....I just want to stress how awesome the stuff I have now is, so that people wont have to waste as much money for no real reason....Ive learned the hard way, time to help the rest...

Kaydubya

Last edited:

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is the Nano I built for my roommate. She didnt like the fact that the regular coils sounded like a rocket laucher every time she took a hit. It was also more then enough vapor for her. photo was taken at Nick Hexums (311band) Island house down in the FL Keys...
BC20136C-0FE1-43FD-8A9A-8058892CE95C-4361-0000019BD93C8024_zpstdu9euwx.jpg

095AFDA4-8B5D-40D5-8D27-461D9A7C0108-4361-0000019BE4D69A23_zpsvcrxpaxx.jpg

This is what she uses now...

336A3581-DD7B-4C18-8A14-AB8E9594C552-13845-00000565351778DD_zpsgjhgqu9i.jpg
Love the nautilus but once ya sub ohm ya cant go back i find lol

happy vaping

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^ just look at how much space a spring takes up when you pull it apart vs when its relaxed

It does take some creative working to get a 7-9 wrap build in some decks, I will post a photo of how i have mine finagled in there later when I change out flavors...im having a hard time putting this Hermetic Steam Magenta down tho...

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm a lil' fuzzy on the math here. How is there more surface area on a coil that's squeezed together vs one that isnt?
You have all the coils concentrated on a larger area of the wick...instead of a coil then space then a coil then space...all the wires on the wrap touch a constant part of the wick...more coverage i should say in a concentrated are.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do find tight wraps to be better then loose for some reason

happy vaping

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
^ just look at how much space a spring takes up when you pull it apart vs when its relaxed

It does take some creative working to get a 7-9 wrap build in some decks, I will post a photo of how i have mine finagled in there later when I change out flavors...im having a hard time putting this Hermetic Steam Magenta down tho...
Do you wind you 32gauge straight on to 28 gauge or use that guitar string to wind it?

happy vaping

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually use one of these to do my winds on. Standard screw driver that comes with anything electronic like iPhones parts an what not..

CE803BB9-0E50-4FD0-8EC6-C0081A6DCF1C-3491-0000022C8352B8A3_zpsv0wvclh2.jpg

You like my light saber key :)

I have no idea what size it is BUT before i randomly picked this up and started using it. I actually took apart a ball point pen and use the ink tube in there to wind coils on....i always had one THOSE handy :)

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I actually use one of these to do my winds on. Standard screw driver that comes with anything electronic like iPhones parts an what not..

CE803BB9-0E50-4FD0-8EC6-C0081A6DCF1C-3491-0000022C8352B8A3_zpsv0wvclh2.jpg

You like my light saber key :)

I have no idea what size it is BUT before i randomly picked this up and started using it. I actually took apart a ball point pen and use the ink tube in there to wind coils on....i always had one THOSE handy :)
Love the light saver haha! I think they are 1mm i do have some of them so you wind it on the the put the 28 gauge in afterwards? Aint they to small in length wise though

happy vaping

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cheers il give this one a try! Whats difference in flavour and vapour terms does rayon and Japanese cotton have

happy vaping
Rayon is a cleaner flavor then cotton with improved Nic delivery (better th) and faster capillary action (wicks faster). The amount of vapor is more dependent on the build, but rayon keeps up with my builds better

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rayon is a cleaner flavor then cotton with improved Nic delivery (better th) and faster capillary action (wicks faster). The amount of vapor is more dependent on the build, but rayon keeps up with my builds better
Guess il give rayon a go couldnt cere less about vapour im a flavour chaser all though i do want some vapour for some satisfaction lol

happy vaping

VU Sponsors