Become a Patron!

You're getting old when:

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You were all excited to post something and by the time you find the thread again...you forgot what it was you were so excited to post...

Oh ya now I remember. When they made you watch 'Refer Madness' in health class.
That was awesome!!! it is even better while stoned and set to the Doors, or Pink Floyd.

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reading this thread reminds me just how great our youth and lives in general have been. We went from black and white t.v to the moon. And now spending free time writing on sci-fi devices and chatting in real time with other old farts, thousands of miles away. Remember long distance and the egg timer set to 3 minutes.

Just hope one day my children will recall their childhood as fondly!

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Remember people shouting over the land line phone when calling overseas because it is so far away.

Having a little booklet in your pocket with all the home phone numbers of your friends, that you could use a payphone to call.

Remembering by hard anything else other then your own cell number and e-mail.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When growing up you could not get Clint Eastwood.
When it clicks and you go get off my lawn phase... and Eastwood makes complete sense esp that empty chair speech.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Remember people shouting over the land line phone when calling overseas because it is so far away.

Having a little booklet in your pocket with all the home phone numbers of your friends, that you could use a payphone to call.

Remembering by hard anything else other then your own cell number and e-mail.
Payphones were a dime then a quarter.
Now if you find one.... that is not coated in homeless piss and actually works it is 50-75 cents.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Reading this thread reminds me just how great our youth and lives in general have been. We went from black and white t.v to the moon. And now spending free time writing on sci-fi devices and chatting in real time with other old farts, thousands of miles away. Remember long distance and the egg timer set to 3 minutes.

I remember when Dad got a bonus and spluged and bought a Curtis Mathis 25" Color TV. That was the shiz back then when most TV's were B/W 12-15". Burled Walnut cabinet, real wood, not particle board with veneer. The princely sum of $255.

But that was back when you could buy a new car for $6000.00 A Chrysler or an Oldsmobile. VW Bugs were what the Hippie Communists drove.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Sometimes Long Distance was just across town. Now I can call Swansea, from Dallas, and there is no charge.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I swear to god, one time my son asked me if they had TV when I was a kid. :facepalm: I replied, "sure did, and on it, WE WATCHED MEN WALKING ON THE MOON! And your grandmother... her family got a TV when she was 13!" Idiot kid. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Payphones were a dime then a quarter.
Now if you find one.... that is not coated in homeless piss and actually works it is 50-75 cents.

I got a real culture shock in 1985 when I moved to Michigan -- payphones were a dime then, here in ATL... but in Michigan, they were all a quarter! :eek: I was appalled.

Andria

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
In middle school I walked during squirrel and rabbit season so I could hunt on the way back to the house. I used to leave the rifle (bolt action .22lr) in a locker in the Assistant Principles office and take the bolt with me. (Not because I was afraid it would get stolen but because the AP didnt want any guns in the building that could fire. If the bolt was out before it came in the door it didn't matter if it was unloaded or not!)

I think 10 years would now be the sentence....

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When my daughter was 9, we were going through my record albums and she pulled one out of the jacket and said "Mom! This is the biggest CD I've ever seen...." :eek: ....now she's 23 and buys them whenever she can get them....;)

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I got in trouble with W1 once because I told our son that black and white pictures were actually color pictures of the world before they invented Technicolor. His Kindergarten teacher thought that it was the most adorable thing ever, because when he took the pictures to school he told the story with "such conviction". My W1 and my mother did not see the humor in it that I do. He still tells that story to people, it is one of his fond memories of childhood now.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got in trouble with W1 once because I told our son that black and white pictures were actually color pictures of the world before they invented Technicolor. His Kindergarten teacher thought that it was the most adorable thing ever, because when he took the pictures to school he told the story with "such conviction". My W1 and my mother did not see the humor in it that I do. He still tells that story to people, it is one of his fond memories of childhood now.
I used to tell my kids the same thing. They got wise, though, when I told 'em people only had one ear until the developed stereos, and then we grew another.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In middle school I walked during squirrel and rabbit season so I could hunt on the way back to the house. I used to leave the rifle (bolt action .22lr) in a locker in the Assistant Principles office and take the bolt with me. (Not because I was afraid it would get stolen but because the AP didnt want any guns in the building that could fire. If the bolt was out before it came in the door it didn't matter if it was unloaded or not!)

I think 10 years would now be the sentence....
My Halloween costume to a high school event was as a gunslinger. The costume included a 22 revolver... unloaded... caused no concern.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I used to tell my kids the same thing. They got wise, though, when I told 'em people only had one ear until the developed stereos, and then we grew another.

That's classic!!! I wish I'd have thought of that.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I remember when Dad got a bonus and spluged and bought a Curtis Mathis 25" Color TV. That was the shiz back then when most TV's were B/W 12-15". Burled Walnut cabinet, real wood, not particle board with veneer. The princely sum of $255.

But that was back when you could buy a new car for $6000.00 A Chrysler or an Oldsmobile. VW Bugs were what the Hippie Communists drove.
Gave enough radiation to sterilize the whole family.
People played with stupid shit in those days.

XRAY shoe sizing!!
radioactive shit in chem sets.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you remember playing outside, games like tag, marbles, hide and seek and no pokemon go doesn't count.
Red rover, smear the queer, beat the shit out (insert random neighbor kid), bottle rocket fights, roman candle fights, bb wars.
Playing army with toy guns that looked like guns.
Told to come home when the street lights turn on.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you remember playing outside, games like tag, marbles, hide and seek and no pokemon go doesn't count.
bottle rocket wars....nowdays the ATF and FBI would bust the kids and parents and anyone near them at the time.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Same here. Mom would pack a lunch for us kids and boot us out of the house at 8am. Sadly, kids nowadays have nowhere near the freedom we had as kids, to be kids and do dumb kid shit.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Always had a sticky neck from playing outside, but these were tasty anyway....lol!

KWGlOQr.jpg

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I swear to god, one time my son asked me if they had TV when I was a kid. :facepalm: I replied, "sure did, and on it, WE WATCHED MEN WALKING ON THE MOON! And your grandmother... her family got a TV when she was 13!" Idiot kid. :D

Andria
My oldest asked what that thing with a round disk and metal tube was in the downstairs rec-room stereo. "It's a turntable" I replied. He asked if it played CD's. :tantrum:

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Packing
Red rover, smear the queer, beat the shit out (insert random neighbor kid), bottle rocket fights, roman candle fights, bb wars.
Playing army with toy guns that looked like guns.
Packing mud around M80s and rolling them in gravel, and using them as Handgrenades to go along with the BB guns, Bottle Rockets and Roman Candles. We are so lucky we have our eyes still, but God we had fun.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Got any of these? That'll freak him out...lol!

uOBBq6e.jpg
Broke a few knuckles worth of skin with those.
Packing

Packing mud around M80s and rolling them in gravel, and using them as Handgrenades to go along with the BB guns, Bottle Rockets and Roman Candles. We are so lucky we have our eyes still, but God we had fun.
A roll of those caps and a hammer.

Back in the day toys kicked your ass.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Packing

Someone dropped a lit M80 down thru the bleachers one time at a pep rally at my high school.... talk about a fast evacuation! It blew a big hole in the nice gym floor. :giggle:

Andria

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Broke a few knuckles worth of skin with those.

A roll of those caps and a hammer.

Back in the day toys kicked your ass.
I remember once I went to the 5&10 and bought a couple of thousand Strike Anywhere Matches, a pack of razor blades, and some tennis balls, for like $2 and change. I cut the tips off of all the matches and sliced a small slit in one of the tennis balls, then started packing the match tips in the tennis ball. After it was packed I threw it straight up and let it hit the concrete. The result was a flaming explosion that caught the yard on fire. That resulted in a beating. I wasn't hurt by the fire ball, but dad lit my ass up. :devil:.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I remember once I went to the 5&10 and bought a couple of thousand Strike Anywhere Matches, a pack of razor blades, and some tennis balls, for like $2 and change. I cut the tips off of all the matches and sliced a small slit in one of the tennis balls, then started packing the match tips in the tennis ball. After it was packed I threw it straight up and let it hit the concrete. The result was a flaming explosion that caught the yard on fire. That resulted in a beating. I wasn't hurt by the fire ball, but dad lit my ass up. :devil:.

Heh... you remember back in the 70s, probably thx to the influence of Kiss.. boys always wanted to spit blood, or fire, or whatever. Some clown gets a whole mouthful of a bic's butane, blows it out and sets it alight.... set all that pretty long hair up in flames.... so much for all that pretty long hair. :giggle: that happened *AT SCHOOL* one day, right outside the 8th grade boy's bathroom. :giggle:

Andria

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
When you realize the your first car was a "72" Camero Sport and you looked very cool driving it

And now you are driving a Mercury Grand Marquis LS that feels like you are driving around with your favorite comfy chair with remote start and tinted window and you still think you are "COOL"

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Heh... you remember back in the 70s, probably thx to the influence of Kiss.. boys always wanted to spit blood, or fire, or whatever. Some clown gets a whole mouthful of a bic's butane, blows it out and sets it alight.... set all that pretty long hair up in flames.... so much for all that pretty long hair. :giggle: that happened *AT SCHOOL* one day, right outside the 8th grade boy's bathroom. :giggle:

Andria
One of the bands I was in, our guitar player did that. He didn't burn his hair off, but he burned his face and caught his shirt on fire. When we were done laughing we laughed some more and took him to the hospital. His mom was maaaaad.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I also remember going to a Drug store and buying Sulphur and Salt Peter by the pound...(You know where this went right??)

Mixing up the ratios on an old first class mail scale, packing 2 inch steel tubing and waiting for weeks for the waterproof cannon fuse to arrive....

Then DAD and I would go down to the river and "fish" for Saturday night dinner.

Thats about a 10 year sentence now too!

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun!!!

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun!!!

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older....

I just can't bring myself to post the next line

VU Sponsors