Become a Patron!

Zero Modz by Carlos Creation ... CLONED!!

Chris Boddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes that seems to be the thing there is a lot of owners on here that are very disappointed with theres fingers crossed im not one of them if its shit then ill have to find a modder that would give it a good fix dont know how long it takes to get here but ill keep looking on here for other takes on this Its a shame they made a mess of this mod cos it is a great looking thing IMHO

It's the ground and on dna40 the ground connects internally on the board to battery negative so one connection is enough.

With dna 30 (I think) the ground is not internally connected to negative meaning you need to connect ground one the chip to s/s frame and also another for the charger - back to the s/s frame. Just like on the clone chip.

Please check all this in the guide for dna30 before proceeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for you reply. Im going to wait for a better batch of DNA40 instead.

bogattack

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So, I've received my Zero from focal.

+ Finish is nice
+ Nice screen, better than my real DNA
+ Buttons feel really nice
+ The sandblasted sleeve feels much better than I expected
+ Well, it works, I was quite worried about this
+ I have a Zero now :D

- Ohm reading i'snt accurate; a 0.8 ohm reads 0.7, a 1 ohm reads 0.8
- 510 is quite crooked, so atties are not flush
- The gold sleeve I received is badly cut, so I have a gap where the "wood" can be seen.
- The "wood" is not properly fixed, so there's a gap from which I see the lighting of the screen
- No wattage lock

EDIT : actually, I'm not quite sure I'm happy with it, that's a lot of problems for a 109 bucks mod. I might return it to focal...

Last edited:

Vap3on

Member For 4 Years
My V1 came through from Focale cost me $US170 with customs from the USA to UK it's all good as a chassis the V1 Yosen DNA doesn't get any better and I destroyed an evolv DNA yesterday for the first time box modding on a V1 Zero which I got a few weeks direct from Yosen.

The Focale one is pretty much spot on, the finish, sleeve fit and 510 are good the 510 is within the tolerance of a Fat daddy vapes V4 510;)

I am going to sell it for what I can get for it and take a loss, it's the most frustrating build I have come across and the V1s don't have dna board and switch cradles which makes the build harder.

Looking forward to the clone SX Zeros to with the clone SX300 boards whatever there saying on FT ;)

Atleast retro fitting those will be so much easier.

Focale V1 Zero sent 26th Nov by USPS
a561a0549da6ec8e0a1968e75d135618.jpg
202f4d4eeda318324c290461445907d5.jpg
7b22b63625d72d86d719a792f4d23d40.jpg

Vap3on

Member For 4 Years
Scratch that the SX 300 board dimensions are smaller than a SX350, it's maybe a whole world of pain :(

rickmtnview

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've read this entire thread tonight and give a big thank you to all who have contributed their experiences. My desire for the Zero is completely gone.....finished. If they can't even get a 510 done properly, fix issues that pop up without repeating them. It just blows my mind and is really difficult to put any kind of positive spin on the manufacturer, Yosan. In the past 2 months of following the Zero story (nightmare), I've pulled the trigger on the Variant mod from FC. So far, it's been my most pleasing mod purchase. Thanks again for all the good info.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I've read this entire thread tonight and give a big thank you to all who have contributed their experiences. My desire for the Zero is completely gone.....finished. If they can't even get a 510 done properly, fix issues that pop up without repeating them. It just blows my mind and is really difficult to put any kind of positive spin on the manufacturer, Yosan. In the past 2 months of following the Zero story (nightmare), I've pulled the trigger on the Variant mod from FC. So far, it's been my most pleasing mod purchase. Thanks again for all the good info.

Agreed .. I was more excited for the Zero clone more than any other clone this year, and I think that many others felt the same. Overall though the Zero Modz clone was a huge failure, even as there are some who managed to get a good working device, there were sooooo many others that did not on the V1 and now the V2 also.

I hope that Yosen has learned the lesson that when you put profit before reputation, any success will be fleeting at best. They had the opportunity to change the tides with the V2 upgraded chip, but what we saw was more of the same poor QC issues which is inexcusable at this point... I think the Zero party is wrap. :(

rickmtnview

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yup, your initial enthusiasm was catching and then real life happened. I could read your defensive stance slooowly give way to reality. It made me really sad but I'm so new here I can't even find a sad face to attach.
Newbies, what a you gonna do, can't live with, can't kill'em.

Chris Boddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Apart from Yosen who seemed to have failed i wonder how many other makers of this clone make good Zero's

rickmtnview

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can be pretty sure that this design will attract others, maybe even Yosan, to get it done right. With information supplied by sites like this, it just doesn't pay to cut corners and not do the proper quality checks. They lost my business on this particular clone but 2-3 months on, who knows.

Chris Boddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hummm Zero from Yosen 75usd shipping and trans fees brings it to 120.75 thats ok or so it seems bank trans fees to usd and duty etc from DHL has brought this to a grand total of £94.41p bloody hell it had better work for that and yes 94 pound 41pennys not going to buy direct ever again ha

bitfi3nd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hummm Zero from Yosen 75usd shipping and trans fees brings it to 120.75 thats ok or so it seems bank trans fees to usd and duty etc from DHL has brought this to a grand total of £94.41p bloody hell it had better work for that and yes 94 pound 41pennys not going to buy direct ever again ha

Well, the shipping they use is fast.
I hope you get a good one.

Vap3on

Member For 4 Years
Hope you get a good one, you could of had mine only used it for 2 mins ;) guess you are getting a V2 but doesn't seem much improvement if any on the random QCing. Guess it's eBay on a 99p auction for it;) The Focale one was better than the one I got direct from Yosen.

2015 I am done with clones just to much messing about you end up spending more time and money getting a decent mod.

Chris Boddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
think its the v3 now as on there fb page

Rawmade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Picked up the 50w SX Zero on Focal for $82, seems to be getting good reviews and the price isnt bad at all for being the US Warehouse. Will be here friday.

Chris Boddy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Got mine this morning, early signs everything is working.
Thread is as good as me madz modz nzonic.
Up n down / screen on off /left n right screen power on is 5 clicks as it says,
it also has watt lock so at the mo all is working as it should.
I think bitfi3nd you were right fast as a rabbit
its a looker to

It's the ground and on dna40 the ground connects internally on the board to battery negative so one connection is enough.

With dna 30 (I think) the ground is not internally connected to negative meaning you need to connect ground one the chip to s/s frame and also another for the charger - back to the s/s frame. Just like on the clone chip.

Please check all this in the guide for dna30 before proceeding.

So on the DNA40 chip, I don't need to solder anything to the SS frame, right ?

filipvisnjic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So on the DNA40 chip, I don't need to solder anything to the SS frame, right ?

Yes you do, B- point (battery negative). I ran a single wire from the charger negative, through b- to the s/s frame. If you want, you can connect back to s/s frame at GND point and since GND is connected to the b- on internally on the chip you don't need to do it twice like on dna30 or the included clone chip.

sohkis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
where/how do you order these directly from yosen?

i don't have use fb so i was looking for another option

Yes you do, B- point (battery negative). I ran a single wire from the charger negative, through b- to the s/s frame. If you want, you can connect back to s/s frame at GND point and since GND is connected to the b- on internally on the chip you don't need to do it twice like on dna30 or the included clone chip.

Thanks mate. But on dna40 chip there are two B- terminals, one for charger and the other one for battery. They are called 11 and 12 on the diagram. I see you use the 11 to connect to the charger

On your picture, there is a silver wire that goes from -B on the chip (number 11 in the dna40 diagram) to I guess negative in the charger?
And then I guess you connect to the SS frame from that ?

So what I should do is: -B(number 11) to the negative in charger to SS frame right. ?

filipvisnjic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks mate. But on dna40 chip there are two B- terminals, one for charger and the other one for battery. Is it the B- on the chip or charger, you are talking about ?

On your picture, there is a silver wire that goes from -B on the chip (number 11 in the dna40 diagram) to I guess negative in the charger?
And then I guess you connect to the SS frame from that ?

So what I should do is: -B(number 11) to the negative in charger to SS frame right. ?

Yes, all correct.

The two terminals on the chip are for scenarios where you might have one connection for the battery negative and another to the charger that may be located somewhere else. On mine we just used the same wire since they are all so close.

What makes zero different to many other box mods is that it kind of operates a little like a mechanical, the tube (or in this case s/s frame) carying the battery negative but at the same time being the ground for the atty.

Hope this makes sense...

Yes, all correct.

The two terminals on the chip are for scenarios where you might have one connection for the battery negative and another to the charger that may be located somewhere else. On mine we just used the same wire since they are all so close.

What makes zero different to many other box mods is that it kind of operates a little like a mechanical, the tube (or in this case s/s frame) carying the battery negative but at the same time being the ground for the atty.

Hope this makes sense...
Thank you so much mate. It makes perfectly sense.
The single wire you used to connect Frame, -B(11) and charger, why didn't you insulate it? Or I'm thinking of putting a insulating wrap around it just for safety.

And do you know when the revised dna40 chips are coming out ?

filipvisnjic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The single wire you used to connect Frame, -B(11) and charger, why didn't you insulate it? Or I'm thinking of putting a insulating wrap around it just for safety.

It was the wire that came with the clone and we just left it in. It was the right length and shape. Probably best to insulate but it may be somewhat fiddly.

My dna40 screen goes crazy from time to time. It doesn't affect the performance, just the screen. Sometimes a whole day goes by and it's fine and another it freaks out from time to time. Since its all fixed down, it's nearly impossible to follow fix instructions w/o ripping the whole thing apart.

I've been thinking about building another dna40 mod but when the new chips are out. Then I can rip this one out and send it back. For now it's ok, just annoying sometimes.

I've also been thinking about just getting vaporshark rdna40 but it seems they are also affected by the same problem -- until the new batch at least. However I find it hard to justify spending £150 on a dna40 mod knowing that it doesn't cost more than £60 in parts.

Don't know, things are moving so fast in the vape world we may have an even better dna40 mod in 6 months or so.

ee2637a2d60769b2214b59cd20f977cb.jpg

Well mine has dispatched today from Yosen and has to travel to the UK over the festive period! I really hope I get a decent one as I have pinned a lot of hope on this mod. I ordered over a week ago but the additional sleeves were apparently out of stock. I'm hoping the delay in posting may mean I get a v3 and has given them time to fix the 510 issues. Fingers crossed, wish me luck!!! I'm glad you have received a good one Chris Boddy ;)

It was the wire that came with the clone and we just left it in. It was the right length and shape. Probably best to insulate but it may be somewhat fiddly.

My dna40 screen goes crazy from time to time. It doesn't affect the performance, just the screen. Sometimes a whole day goes by and it's fine and another it freaks out from time to time. Since its all fixed down, it's nearly impossible to follow fix instructions w/o ripping the whole thing apart.

I've been thinking about building another dna40 mod but when the new chips are out. Then I can rip this one out and send it back. For now it's ok, just annoying sometimes.

I've also been thinking about just getting vaporshark rdna40 but it seems they are also affected by the same problem -- until the new batch at least. However I find it hard to justify spending £150 on a dna40 mod knowing that it doesn't cost more than £60 in parts.

Don't know, things are moving so fast in the vape world we may have an even better dna40 mod in 6 months or so.

5d4cdf1b99b0ebafb5a8aacdce317ae2.jpg

I may contact you when I have the parts to start the project. The specially the working dna40. Hope it's okay?

How is the nahualon working for you, I can't seem to get a good vape from mine with mesh

filipvisnjic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I may contact you when I have the parts to start the project. The specially the working dna40. Hope it's okay?

How is the nahualon working for you, I can't seem to get a good vape from mine with mesh

Cool.

Nahualon is an interesting one. Of course it's a very tight draw but I find it great with 28awg 3 wraps around straw wick (400 mesh). Not much vapour but the flavour is great. It wicks OK but I found it wicking better with double wick, ie when you first build a straw and insert another in the middle to fill the gap, slightly longer.

The wick is a mess atm since its undergone a surgery with nickel wire and then reverted back to kanthal. Here is the photo

16dc5b9918dd59377c71039de4ca6f09.jpg

What's interesting is that the flavour is not necessarily better or enhanced than with a dripper -- it's different. Seems like certain notes in the juice are highlighted, others tamed. Really hard to describe. The throat hit is great.

Likewise, it does work great on the zero mod and wicks great at around 20w -- better than on 18500 mechanical. Anything above 20w doesn't work so well.

Cool.

Nahualon is an interesting one. Of course it's a very tight draw but I find it great with 28awg 3 wraps around straw wick (400 mesh). Not much vapour but the flavour is great. It wicks OK but I found it wicking better with double wick, ie when you first build a straw and insert another in the middle to fill the gap, slightly longer.

The wick is a mess atm since its undergone a surgery with nickel wire and then reverted back to kanthal. Here is the photo

16dc5b9918dd59377c71039de4ca6f09.jpg

What's interesting is that the flavour is not necessarily better or enhanced than with a dripper -- it's different. Seems like certain notes in the juice are highlighted, others tamed. Really hard to describe. The throat hit is great.

Likewise, it does work great on the zero mod and wicks great at around 20w -- better than on 18500 mechanical. Anything above 20w doesn't work so well.
My problem was that with the metal plug in it didn't wick enoug but without it I overwicked so I have not used it since that.

filipvisnjic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My problem was that with the metal plug in it didn't wick enoug but without it I overwicked so I have not used it since that.

It definitely is temperamental. It's really finding the right balance between the wick, coil, juice and draw. If you draw too much it will overwick and get a dry hit if not drawing enough. I seem to have almost found the sweet spot - almost =]

bitfi3nd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

The latest revision is already out. (Since Dec. 6. Has centigrade, supposedly fixed the weird problems) Protovapor sells pre-tested boards.

bitfi3nd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey, for anyone stuck with Yosen Zeros with awful 510s, the Orchid V3s will work on them and sit flush. So will anything with a fully (or almost) threaded 510 base. It's still not ideal, but at least they aren't absolutely useless.

I'm going to start a DNA 40 transplant in my "best" one over the holiday, weld & re-tap the horrible one when I get a chance.

ETA: The internals are very cleanly installed on the V2s, it should be a piece of cake to drop the DNA 40 in as far as I can tell. Looks like I can use their button board as well.

Also, looking at all the similar mods that use the same dimension steel body, I'm thinking that it starts out as a section of square stainless tubing. It would be pretty easy to make your own custom one if you have access to a machine shop.

Look at this one & you can see what I'm talking about. It's even slimmer than the Zero, looks just about perfect size in the hand. (Also watch that guys silent tutorials on the Origen Genesis V2, he's really thorough & ends up with some impressive builds.)

Last edited:

Vap3on

Member For 4 Years
SX Zero mod from focal came in today, really liking this zero, good build quality and chip is working really good and accurate :)

iW3hjIG.jpg
s0HUH1L.jpg
Looks goods is it a genuine YiHi board? If you could you get a firmware version? hold down the power button while inserting the battery? Any chance you could take a pic of board?
Hey, for anyone stuck with Yosen Zeros with awful 510s, the Orchid V3s will work on them and sit flush. So will anything with a fully (or almost) threaded 510 base. It's still not ideal, but at least they aren't absolutely useless.

I'm going to start a DNA 40 transplant in my "best" one over the holiday, weld & re-tap the horrible one when I get a chance.

ETA: The internals are very cleanly installed on the V2s, it should be a piece of cake to drop the DNA 40 in as far as I can tell. Looks like I can use their button board as well.

Also, looking at all the similar mods that use the same dimension steel body, I'm thinking that it starts out as a section of square stainless tubing. It would be pretty easy to make your own custom one if you have access to a machine shop.

Look at this one & you can see what I'm talking about. It's even slimmer than the Zero, looks just about perfect size in the hand. (Also watch that guys silent tutorials on the Origen Genesis V2, he's really thorough & ends up with some impressive builds.)
I wouldn't be buying crappy clones if I had access to a workshop and had the time;)

Glad those cradles will make the evolv upgrade easier the V1s are tricky at best. I don't think there is much chance of getting hold of those cradles, unless I can get them 3D printed.

Last edited:

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You never know Fasttech is starting to carry modding things like 510 connectors so cradles might be next :)

Rawmade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Depends who you believe. Yihi says no, Eyco/Hotcig SWEARS yes, showed pics of YiHi purchase receipts. In the end I dont know for sure though. Performs as well as my other YiHi boards though, only "issue" is it reads battery voltage .1v-ish high, which is pointed out by the sellers.
Shows firmware SX300 YH 5.1
If theres one thing ive learned from vendors that dont want you to know they are selling stuff (ie: boards) to certain mfgrs, they lie.
YiHi has proven for some time they dont want to be known as selling boards to any chinese mfgs except a couple trusted ones, if they did end up selling a bunch of the unused SX300 50w and 35w boards to other chinese ive got no doubt they will lie about it, so I tend to believe Eycotech/Hotcig.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
My 50w SX Mini also showed up, overall, liking it *much* more than my Yosen DNA Zeros (newest batch)

yjvd4.jpg

Awesome .. sad to say that I also much prefer my SX Zero over the one working V2 Yosen that I got. Glad to hear so many positive reports on this one .. I will be throwing my new, and defective V2's up on Ebay, someone will want to use it for transplant .. thought about doing it myself but I don't have the time for that project.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Well....I went to my local vape shop today and the owner (Mike at 510 Vapers) had a Zero clone from Infinite. Solid kit, and he reports after a few days, that it is really quite spectacular....this coming from a Man who bought 5 last year and gave them to his employees as Christmas gifts. SIGH....OKFINE.....I bought one.....should be in muh mitts in a week. He is stocking them...but his first order sold out yesterday #sadmeal

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SX Zero mod from focal came in today, really liking this zero, good build quality and chip is working really good and accurate :)

iW3hjIG.jpg
s0HUH1L.jpg

I got mine last Wednesday (been a good Vapemas!) Other than the bottom hex screw sticking out a bit, this unit is a good deal for the money. I'm running a big dripper dual coil at .7 Ohms at 40 watts and the vape is just spot on.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I finally just got caught up on this thread. As some of you may know I was very interested in this mod and had high hopes for it. Like Nikkita said I thought it could of been the clone of the year. The end result reads that the mod is a bust, but if you are in love with the aesthetics then it can still make a good diy project assuming you get a properly tapped 510.

I may be interested in one of those shells and if I buy a board and the rest of the necessities maybe I can send it to someone to get built? There are locals I could deal with but I would feel better if they had already tackled one of these Zero dna 40 project previously. After the first week of the new year I will be busy again and I would probably have a diy project sitting around for a minute unattended to which is not necessarily a bad thing but it would drive me a little batty at first.

A big thanks to everyone that has posted in this informative thread and especially to those that have taken pics and video to the diy portion of the tale.

Osmo

Member For 4 Years
After reading this entire thread I figured I would add to it with my experiences with a v3 I just got in. Only issue I have had is that the button board was not secured and had play that caused issues with the firing button. I know that the housing for the battery is supposed to hold it in place but the tolerance for a snug fit was off. It was an easy fix to simply hot glue the button frame to the body. Now I have to get the black sleeve as it looks sexy... lol

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Osmo Glad you have had good luck with yours. I keep going back and forth, I would REALLY like one but I don't really NEED one.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a few thousand wrapped up in kit that I do not "need". It just seems to work out that way lol.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would love to get a Nicomod, but they are a little over $300. I think his mods are BEAUTIFUL. That said I would probably never leave the house with it. I will probably end up getting a sx zero mod with my Christmas money. I would also love to get one of the Wizardz modz if he ever builds a sx350 style.

Here is a link to the Nicomods website: http://www.shop.nicomods.com/Home_c1.htm?page=all

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I would love to get a Nicomod, but they are a little over $300. I think his mods are BEAUTIFUL. That said I would probably never leave the house with it. I will probably end up getting a sx zero mod with my Christmas money. I would also love to get one of the Wizardz modz if he ever builds a sx350 style.

Here is a link to the Nicomods website: http://www.shop.nicomods.com/Home_c1.htm?page=all
Stay tuned on the Wizard 350.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I talked to Rick to inquire about ordering either a box or a mod with a sx350. He said that currently they were trying a DNA but probably would stick to unregulated mods. With the great pricing he has on his boxes I think he would do well with SX350 and DNA mods.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
John is an experimenter who never disappoints

VU Sponsors