Become a Patron!

0.30 Ω 3 Ways

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thought this might be worth sharing. Used all 26 awg (x2) twisted wire around 3 mm ID. The target is 0.30 Ω.
  • SS316L took 8 wraps.
  • Kanthal A1 took 4 wraps.
  • NiChrome 80 took 5 wraps.
Hopefully this can help some by offering a little guidance on material types regarding how many wraps each takes per 3 mm ID (inner diameter).

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Why twisted wire? They all have the exact number of twists per inch? If not, that unknown variable makes the results worthless. No asshole, honest and legit question.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Why twisted wire? They all have the exact number of twists per inch? If not, that unknown variable makes the results worthless. No asshole, honest and legit question.

I had not considered that. I suppose a simple "preference" as the variable would then as you suggest make the results worthless. Although, it could be stated that "value" or "worth" could be viewed as a matter of perception. What you might deem worthless, I might consider of worth because I found out for myself that I could get .30 ohm coils with twisted wire using each different material type. For me that was something to learn even if it was simply, "preference".

Hopefully my response doesn't read argumentative. I do not intend it as such. You had a valid question and I'll have to consider such a point posting further. I appreciate and respect that form of constructive criticism, thank you. :) And no, I do not feel you harshly criticized, or wrongly did.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can hit any resistance a bunch of ways with a bunch of different wires. Why I always say a resistance number alone means nothing. A tiny piece of 30g Kanthol can have the same resistance as a giant, complex coil of stainless. Obviously the performance of each with the same power applied will be nowhere in the same ballpark. So when comparing different wires, but the amount of wire per inch might not contain the same length of wire per inch due to different number of twists, the resulting wrap counts may not accurately reflect the real differences in the materials. Will probably be close, but there’s still an unknown in place with regards to how much of each material was actually used. And thanks for not taking it wrong. Just a little technical discussion.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A tiny piece of 30g Kanthol can have the same resistance as a giant, complex coil of stainless. Obviously the performance of each with the same power applied will be nowhere in the same ballpark. So when comparing different wires, but the amount of wire per inch might not contain the same length of wire per inch due to different number of twists, the resulting wrap counts may not accurately reflect the real differences in the materials. Will probably be close, but there’s still an unknown in place with regards to how much of each material was actually used. And thanks for not taking it wrong. Just a little technical discussion.

So when comparing different wires, but the amount of wire per inch might not contain the same length of wire per inch due to different number of twists, the resulting wrap counts may not accurately reflect the real differences in the materials. Will probably be close, but there’s still an unknown in place with regards to how much of each material was actually used.

And as close as I could tell anyone, it still leaves that as a "variable" unknown. I can tell you that off of each spool of wire I unwound around three (3) times in accord to where the "holding hole" is on the spools. That is still a very broad estimate though as each material would have it's own resistance and other quality per inch. I did not take an accurate "per inch/per cm" measure though and do admit that.

And thanks for not taking it wrong. Just a little technical discussion.

Your last sentence took me just a minute or two and a re-read, another minute. Then, I comprehend what you were communicating. No, you were not calling me an asshole. You were saying you were not posing your question, discussion as being from an seeming asshole perspective. You were not being an asshole and stirring, you were asking and opening, ... a technical discussion. *chuckles*

Once I had that I read over what you were pointing out and realized you were correct. I had not taken the technicalities of the process into account. I'm just glad you're comprehending I too am not being an asshole to say, "huh?, okay I did not consider that." *grinning and shaking my head* I still agree that you're correct, it is worth considering the technicalities & will try to do so from here in.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Completely agree with @BoomStick and the original post brings up a good point many people miss. The bit about resistance alone meaning little. It can be useful to know for operating within the capabilities of a regulated mod, it can help with factoring power draw on a mech mod. Beyond that the mass of the coil factors in as well. There are dozens of ways to get the same resistance using different material combinations, different gauges of wire, number of wraps and so on.

I can build a coil using 4 wraps of 28ga ss316L with a 3mm id and get 0.5ohms. By contrast I can also build a 3mm id coil using kanthal a1 and reach 0.5ohms using 12 wraps of 20ga wire. That 12 wraps of 20ga is going to take a shit-ton more power to get heating. In reverse for a mech mod where the power is fixed output, the 12 wraps of 20ga are going take a good while to heat up and provide a much cooler vape while the 4 wraps of 28ga ss316L are going to quickly blast red/white hot.

It's easy to understand most people don't want to get too lost in the weeds on the details, many are newer to vaping or either don't have a deeper grasp of how everything functions or don't care to maybe. It can make it difficult though when trying to resolve issues or help someone figure out something that will work for them. What are you currently vaping? Well I vape at 80w. I need a coil that vapes at 80w - but why? Maybe THAT coil requires 80w but it doesn't mean that's where they're stuck at. Or trying to figure out a coil, maybe they use factory coils. Well I vape a .15 ohm coil. Ok, that's the one you prefer but leaves out how that coil's constructed, the material etc. They might be just as thrilled with 60w on a .15 ohm or .22 ohm coil or whatever. They get a number and get fixated on it though.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can build a coil using 4 wraps of 28ga ss316L with a 3mm id and get 0.5ohms. By contrast I can also build a 3mm id coil using kanthal a1 and reach 0.5ohms using 12 wraps of 20ga wire. That 12 wraps of 20ga is going to take a shit-ton more power to get heating. In reverse for a mech mod where the power is fixed output, the 12 wraps of 20ga are going take a good while to heat up and provide a much cooler vape while the 4 wraps of 28ga ss316L are going to quickly blast red/white hot.

This goes a long way toward helping me get a better grasp too on how to build a coil around .20, that I can use on a mech without getting a blast furnace. It really is a matter of figuring out the different materials and how they each do, or do in combination.

I got surprised pleasantly when @MrMeowgi was explaining about staged heating coils. I could build something that just might get me to .20 without being too hot. The trouble being though on a single cell battery it required a ton of power outlay to produce vapor, due to mass of the coil.

I wound up trying a .35 staged heating coil, that still required a bit of power but at that ohm rate it kind of equalized itself out. So, for about .35 I'd found a way to cool down a coil build but knew I'd need to keep abreast of how it was "drawing off" of the battery a bit more.

Starting to genuinely learn and earn an appreciation for detail orientation. My Pap would be sitting there looking over at me with his stiff lipped grin. Can almost hear him chuckling now as he reminds me how he was showing a difference between two different flies used for trout fishing.

There was more of a difference than I could tell to them, he knew that too. Reckon some of the lessons we learn as young boys come back as harder lessons to understand without those we love. It's alright though, I know he's still around. :)

And no, I don't mind "being schooled" here as long as it can be done respectfully & using constructive criticism. I'd rather stay an eternal student, or beginner than ever dare say I was a master and truly only be a fool grasping at straws in the dark.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors