Become a Patron!

100% VG, stainless steel wire, RTA recommendations?

Looking for your RTA recommendations based on flavor, for my first build.

Guidelines:
  • DL draw
  • Based on stainless steel wire builds only. I know I want lots of surface area, so I imagine this will be a little to no-gap wrap, your suggestions on this are welcome.
  • Only 100% VG liquid will be used. I couldn't imagine pushing more than a 40 watt/380 F combo in TC, but lower is better.
  • Height & capacity - around 2" or 50mm height without the drip tip, and minimum 3 mL liquid capacity.
Looking forward to reading your input!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Based on this list. I suggest a higher concentration of flavorings in your juice....

To make more flavor. Take your favorite build. Add a wrap or 2 or turn the heat down and reduce the incoming air.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
cant speak on a limitless yet... but
i run max vg SS wire with my griffin 22s - all 3 of them
i am currently using
28/30 clapton wire form advancedvapesupply.com
2dual coil
4 mm id
8 wraps each
ohms is about .5
run it at about 50 watts
and very flavorful

cant speak on a limitless yet... but
i run max vg SS wire with my griffin 22s - all 3 of them
i am currently using
28/30 clapton wire form advancedvapesupply.com
2dual coil
4 mm id
8 wraps each
ohms is about .5
run it at about 50 watts
and very flavorful

Thank you for the articulate reply! Couple questions:

Advancedvapesupply does not have 28/30 wire, did you mean 28/32?

And why such a large I.D., 4mm? Does this allow for the fastest wicking?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
they switched it. they used to sell 28/30 now the ydo 28/32
the larger the id the more surface area of the coil - the more surface area usually means more flavor

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
they switched it. they used to sell 28/30 now the ydo 28/32
the larger the id the more surface area of the coil - the more surface area usually means more flavor

Wrong. length and diameter of wire used determines coil surface area. ID does affect wrap count and maybe amount of wick covered. 3 inches of wire has the same surface area.. regardless the I'd of the form you wrap it around.

Wrong. length and diameter of wire used determines coil surface area. ID does affect wrap count and maybe amount of wick covered. 3 inches of wire has the same surface area.. regardless the I'd of the form you wrap it around.

But the larger I.D. is preferred because of the ability to have more wicking material, meaning more juice - less dry hits, no?

And of course if I kept it at 8 wraps but increased the I.D. that would increase the length of wire.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But the larger I.D. is preferred because of the ability to have more wicking material, meaning more juice - less dry hits, no?

And of course if I kept it at 8 wraps but increased the I.D. that would increase the length of wire.

Yes you are correct bigger id can mean more juice in the coil.

In the second case it's still the amount of wire determining surface area and mass. In both cases you seem to be forgeting to factor in the length of the coil. .5ohm 8 wrap coil on 3mm id and say a 9 or 10 on 2.5 if the same wire was used the same amount of surface area will be the result. Now what if the big ID coil is a contact coil and the smaller id coil spaced, they both may have the same amount of wick available. BUT do to the concentration of heat in the contact coil it may be more prone to burning wicks.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
im not going to debate you
given the same number of wraps and everything else the larger ID wil have more surface area
ID is a factor in how much wire you use
I personally use th elargest ID i can fit in a rta and the most wraps i can fit while making sure I leave room for the wick to get to the juice ports and letting there be enough room for air to flow around the coils and wick

experiment for yourself and ifnd what works
i aint trying to tell you my way is best for you
it is whats best for me and what i like. I have experimented and find a like coils with larger IDs given everything else is the same

VU Sponsors