Become a Patron!

18650 batteries and heat

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Months ago, someone posted a thread about Sony VCT 5a batteries vs Molicell 26-A
By the way, I feel they are both good batteries. His post was basically saying the Molicel didn't seem any better than the Sony. I have been using both (Molicel in single battery mod and Sony in dual battery mod) They both seemed to work well (hard to judge because I rotate mods/tanks often) Anyway... I have definitely noticed a decline in how long they last (the last two months... it has been very hot here in central CA) Many days over 100 deg F (I vape outside) and even my room tends to be around 90 deg F most of the day. I don't blame the batteries but am convinced they don't like the heat. Add to this, when I vape the coil (and tank) get hot. Lately, I can only get about 6 draws before I have to let the tank(s) cool down. My point is... don't blame the batteries until you think about how the heat affects them (even leaving a mod in your car can be an issue... or in your pocket on a hot day) Has anyone else noticed this? In the cooler weather I swear they lasted longer (neither are that old) There isn't much I can do about this (just hope it doesn't affect the overall life of the batteries)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My point is... don't blame the batteries until you think about how the heat affects them (even leaving a mod in your car can be an issue... or in your pocket on a hot day) Has anyone else noticed this? In the cooler weather I swear they lasted longer (neither are that old)

Have noticed this with 18650 in general. Heat seems a form of kryptonite. This said, not to derail, have also noted a few different new bought from IMR "molly cells" being a bit daft.

Not singling out the vendor. I simply get batteries there only. I trust IMR, genuinely do. Not had any issues. Will still buy from them. Do not think the vendor is doing anything in error, unwittingly or knowingly.

This noted the cells act daft, by this I mean they may recharge once or twice. After that they get what seems "punch drunk". They make the light flash on the charger & refuse further charging. It isn't a "finished charging" flash. It's indicative that the batteries are "fouled".

Granted know everyone has their faults. Pretty careful regarding batteries. Not sure why these go daft.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Agreed. Batteries are adversely affected by both cold and heat. Don't leave them in your car.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I assume that u both know typical battery stuff like dont top them off, dont drain them fully, wait till they cool down after charging to vape on them, wait till they cool after vaping to charge them, and never vape on them while charging...all the stuff that affects battery lifespan significantly.

i THINK, if iirc that both excessive cold as well as heat is bad for lithium batts also, not just heat..

(Not being condescending or sarcastic)

Yes, do grasp battery safety concepts a fair bit. Did not read sarcasm into you're presumption. Not sure if the charging issue would be "chalked up" to heat, as in climate, or not. It is something I've noticed only recently. May in fact be climate related. Seemed relevant as your subject matter was regarding batteries going afoul.

Not tried Sony batteries yet. Will grant your assertion there seems no discernible difference between the two brands is valid & accurate, though. You've no reason to make false statements to anyone, as far as I'm aware. Don't think you are doing so.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm low budget so tend to buy either Sony or Molicel depending on which is on sale. I rarely use high wattage at all but still chose batteries that have a high amp rating (just in case I want to try higher power) I might choose different batteries next time that have lower amps but higher mAh and use those in my single battery mods with MTL tanks.
BTW, my batteries never feel hot at all while charging. My simple charger (nitecore Q2) just has LED lights but seems to work fine. It would be nice to have a charger that shows the actual charge (so I can stop at around 80 %) I do try to pull them out before they go dead (guessing from what the mod shows) Mooch says around 20 % is good (yes, he has some really good videos)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Above 113 degrees Fahrenheit (battery temperature) is where the accelerated aging starts to become more severe than what's still considered to be normal. Go for the Samsung 20S if you want an 18650 that heats up noticeably slower than either the Sony VTC5A or the Molicel P26A. Don't be fooled by the "lowly" 2000mAh rating of the Samsung 20S. Due to the higher CDR it runs more efficiently so it wastes less energy (that's why it heats up slower). In addition to this, it runs at a bit higher voltage. Wasting less energy = it runs for longer, and, delivering slightly more volts = it takes longer before the voltage reaches too low to still continue to vape so it runs for even longer still. Of course it won't run for longer than either the Sony VTC5A or the Molicel P26A. Just that it will run for longer than what you might expect from a battery that only has 2000mAh. (You could always decide to switch to the Molicel P26A after the weather goes back to normal again.)

Don't store your batteries in a hot car. At 100 degrees Fahrenheit they still age faster compared to at room temperature. This difference in aging can become fairly noticeable if they remain that warm for prolonged periods of time, as the aging doesn't slow back down until the temperature goes back down so in the mean time the level of wear just keeps building up at those faster speeds.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Yes, do grasp battery safety concepts a fair bit. Did not read sarcasm into you're presumption. Not sure if the charging issue would be "chalked up" to heat, as in climate, or not. It is something I've noticed only recently. May in fact be climate related. Seemed relevant as your subject matter was regarding batteries going afoul.

Not tried Sony batteries yet. Will grant your assertion there seems no discernible difference between the two brands is valid & accurate, though. You've no reason to make false statements to anyone, as far as I'm aware. Don't think you are doing so.
Yeah, u read wayyyy to far into my statement. I was just making sure in a general sense since i dont know what u may or may not know.

Nor do i really have anything to say regarding sony vs moli or any other brand, i dont use very many different brands besides moli, price is on point.

I was just engaging in the discourse is all

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Jd_ ... no worries. MMM just has this odd way of saying things (does not mean anything negative) I also do that once in a while (where people don't understand my intentions) We all seem to agree on the subject (topic) of my thread so all is good... feedback is good. Thank you all. I was kinda bummed that I didn't get any responses for a few days... now I'm very glad to get the feedback but don't turn this into something else... all responses are welcome. (BTW you don't post often, but when you do, I am very impressed with what you say) Are we all good?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, u read wayyyy to far into my statement. I was just making sure in a general sense since i dont know what u may or may not know.
Did not read sarcasm into you're presumption.
I took no umbrage with your obviously general statement regarding battery safety. Knew, by way of discerning it from the context, it was intended as such.

Apologies, this below was meant for @VapeOn1960.
Not tried Sony batteries yet. Will grant, ...
They stated, ...
Months ago, someone posted a thread about Sony VCT 5a batteries vs Molicell 26-A
By the way, I feel they are both good batteries. His post was basically saying the Molicel didn't seem any better than the Sony.

Note he's rephrasing someone else though. Not tried Sony batteries so cannot say myself. Can only take someone else's opinion at face value. Still see no reason why someone would say oranges are oranges, spades are spades, batteries are batteries, without there being some truth in it.

I misread who spoke what and apologize for that. Realized today from work, bull manure can be piled over six foot high. That on my mind, everything beyond it is that, beyond it and no wonder I got confused in this case. Need more good medications, or as said, "I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy."

Last edited:

VU Sponsors