Become a Patron!

1st RDA Questions

I have an IStick 50w with a Celtia 0.4 sub ohm top fill tank now.
I'd like to get into the RDA world building coils and such.
1st question. What's a good mod box to begin with? I'd say my preference would prolly be. 100-150w. (Wood grain is amazing)

2nd question. What's the best RDA for me to begin with. I'd say I'd prolly say a 3 post deck with a two hole pos would fit me just right.

3rd question. Does anywhere/one offer a kit for building kits including tools, wire, cotton, etc

4th question. How does one determine what size wires to use when building your own coil, or is that just a guessing game. Until you get your ohms correct?

Any more newbie info y'all wanna throw my way. Let me know. I'm more than willing to read and learn as much as possible. Thanks. Hope I don't sound too much of a newbie/jackass..

TERRIBLEONE83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ll try to answer as much of that as I can lol. For the box mod it really depends on how much money you are looking to spend and if you care about temp control and all that. But i would go with a regulated device, something like a Wismec rx 200 or a IPV5.....you can usually find good deals online if you look around. For the RDA you should look into something like the velocity, they are super easy to build on especially when your starting out. The geekvape tsunami is also awesome, I just got it and Im in love with it A BUILDERS DREAM. Tool kits you can find a ton of good ones on amazon, they arent to expensive but make sure you pick one up with an OHM reader in it (one of the most important tools for a builder) and ceramic tip tweezers...they help out a ton. Amazon also has good prices on wiire too. I usually buy Pure Atomist wire and Ive been quite happy with it, you can pick up a spool paired with a bag of cotton as well for a few bucks more. As far as gauge of the wire it really comes down to what OHM's you like to vape at. I started out building with 24 gauge kanthal then kind of moved around from there till I found what I like the most (fused clapton 24 gauge N80 wrapped with 36 gauge N80 and 24 gauge wrapped in between for the staged effect) I like the vape from it and I just love to build it idk why lol its just fun to me I guess. All this stuff is subjective and its just my opinion but I hope something in here has helped you. Beware tho......building gets super addictive! Peace

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1st question. What's a good mod box to begin with? I'd say my preference would prolly be. 100-150w. (Wood grain is amazing)
CUBOID, wood grain wrap...

2nd question. What's the best RDA for me to begin with. I'd say I'd prolly say a 3 post deck with a two hole pos would fit me just right.
SAPOR RDA

3rd question. Does anywhere/one offer a kit for building kits including tools, wire, cotton, etc
YES

4th question. How does one determine what size wires to use when building your own coil, or is that just a guessing game. Until you get your ohms correct?
26g kanthal ....
Watch ytubes vids...
GOOD LUCK

Any more newbie info y'all wanna throw my way. Let me know. I'm more than willing to read and learn as much as possible. Thanks. Hope I don't sound too much of a newbie/jackass..

Vape On

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

1) Stick to regulated mods until you fully understand all that's involved with a mech mod. http://vapingunderground.com/threads/dont-buy-a-mech-if-you-dont-like-math.200372/ Just a rough overview of what's involved, though the links lower (OBdave's post specifically) will give you a further understanding and worth reading through if you go into the mech area. Regulated mods won't be as pretty but you can get wood grain wraps from jwraps or I think it was WUD but I don't know how they actually feel, but look pretty.

2) Any Velocity type deck, just more build space and less tweaking of coil leads to center it. Coils need to be centered in the deck so you can get equal airflow otherwise it just won't be the same. So with other 3 or 4 post builds you have to tweak one lead quite a bit to fit right. Also the 2 post design means you can get more wire in there which if you're doing something like Parallel or big clapton style builds (worth it) you'll want/need.

3) Most RDA's come with a set of prewrapped coils, any allen wrench or small screwdriver you'll need. And a lot with a bit of cotton thoguh not all. Koh Gen Do pads on Amazon are incredibly cheap you can get a years supply for like $10-15. Wire again Amazon or Ebay. Tools there are the Coilmaster or I believe Geek Vape has a full set as well, though realistically if you have a regulated mod that reads ohms as long as you're using Steam-engine.org and not pushing any limitations should do fine initially though an Ohm Meter is recommended. Aside from that you can use some Nail Clippers, Scissors, and a set of Precision Screwdrivers all that you can pick up from the dollar store (so $3 if you don't already have those things). A Coilmaster V3 is nice for when you're learning to wrap though makes it super easy (V3 because longer posts making it that much easier).

4) Wire guage is typically chosen to fit the resistance you want. Steam-engine.org again will help you here. Want a .5Ω dual coil 2.5mm ID and want it at say 8 wraps, then you'll want to use 26g. For initial learning I'd always suggest 26g Kanthal A1 or D. From there you can learn and fine tune what you want to use.

TERRIBLEONE83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
1) Stick to regulated mods until you fully understand all that's involved with a mech mod. http://vapingunderground.com/threads/dont-buy-a-mech-if-you-dont-like-math.200372/ Just a rough overview of what's involved, though the links lower (OBdave's post specifically) will give you a further understanding and worth reading through if you go into the mech area. Regulated mods won't be as pretty but you can get wood grain wraps from jwraps or I think it was WUD but I don't know how they actually feel, but look pretty.

2) Any Velocity type deck, just more build space and less tweaking of coil leads to center it. Coils need to be centered in the deck so you can get equal airflow otherwise it just won't be the same. So with other 3 or 4 post builds you have to tweak one lead quite a bit to fit right. Also the 2 post design means you can get more wire in there which if you're doing something like Parallel or big clapton style builds (worth it) you'll want/need.

3) Most RDA's come with a set of prewrapped coils, any allen wrench or small screwdriver you'll need. And a lot with a bit of cotton thoguh not all. Koh Gen Do pads on Amazon are incredibly cheap you can get a years supply for like $10-15. Wire again Amazon or Ebay. Tools there are the Coilmaster or I believe Geek Vape has a full set as well, though realistically if you have a regulated mod that reads ohms as long as you're using Steam-engine.org and not pushing any limitations should do fine initially though an Ohm Meter is recommended. Aside from that you can use some Nail Clippers, Scissors, and a set of Precision Screwdrivers all that you can pick up from the dollar store (so $3 if you don't already have those things). A Coilmaster V3 is nice for when you're learning to wrap though makes it super easy (V3 because longer posts making it that much easier).

4) Wire guage is typically chosen to fit the resistance you want. Steam-engine.org again will help you here. Want a .5Ω dual coil 2.5mm ID and want it at say 8 wraps, then you'll want to use 26g. For initial learning I'd always suggest 26g Kanthal A1 or D. From there you can learn and fine tune what you want to use.
Soooooo pretty much exactly what I said with a little more writing. That's not odd or anything.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Soooooo pretty much exactly what I said with a little more writing. That's not odd or anything.

Yes, it's not odd at all, it happens alot here, and repetition is good, repetition enforces opinion (when everyone agrees on a product, it's a good sign it's a good product, when everyones answers are different, it's probably a good sign to stay away).

It's also about formatting. No one likes reading a big ass wall of text, breaking things down into bullet-point, or spacing out sentences into paragraphs is alot more helpful in understanding an idea, and organizing an explanation.

If only one question is asked, fine, a single large paragraph can be alright, but when multiple questions are stated, it's easier to absorb the different information when categorized into different points of text, instead of someone having to mentally break down the explanation sentence by sentence.

TERRIBLEONE83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, it's not odd at all, it happens alot here, and repetition is good, repetition enforces opinion (when everyone agrees on a product, it's a good sign it's a good product, when everyones answers are different, it's probably a good sign to stay away).

It's also about formatting. No one likes reading a big ass wall of text, breaking things down into bullet-point, or spacing out sentences into paragraphs is a lot more helpful in understanding an idea, and organizing an explanation.

If only one question is asked, fine, a single large paragraph can be alright, but when multiple questions are stated, it's easier to absorb the different information when categorized into different points of text, instead of someone having to mentally break down the explanation sentence by sentence.
Okay that makes sense. Im new around here, new to forums in general. I just assumed that everyone adds to other posts and builds on information given. Kinda felt like Jesus over there just took my post, churched it up and reiterated everything I said. But hey, whatever boats your float.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay that makes sense. Im new around here, new to forums in general. I just assumed that everyone adds to other posts and builds on information given. Kinda felt like Jesus over there just took my post, churched it up and reiterated everything I said. But hey, whatever boats your float.
Naw, it's exactly as DED420 put it, I usually skim the earlier posts but big giant paragraph I just skipped added my typical answer to this questions (same questions that have been asked a lot), the fact that it's similar is just because it's the right answer so good on ya.

TERRIBLEONE83

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Naw, it's exactly as DED420 put it, I usually skim the earlier posts but big giant paragraph I just skipped added my typical answer to this questions (same questions that have been asked a lot), the fact that it's similar is just because it's the right answer so good on ya.
See I don't really understand this "wall of text" thing you guys are talking about. It's just simple reading. Do you buy a book and need to find it broken down with bullet points to comprehend? No, I hope not. But if the OP skipped it because there were to many words together "in a wall" then to bad for him I guess. In the end it doesn't matter anyways....I don't even know why I pointed out Jesus"s post to begin with. Oh well.

VU Sponsors