Become a Patron!

1w 15k resistor

G_teambrownie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tried searching for a answer but nothing found

Was looking on mouser and saw they sell 1w 15k resistors for £4.20 for 100. Will these work fine with the irlb3034 mosfet with either paralell or series builds.

I cant see there being a problem but always good to double check

Thanks

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Those are fine, to be honest a lot of resistors are fine. All your resistor is doing is exactly that, resisting current. I've used 1/4 watt resistors in the past. If you're using a mosfet, which I always recommend, try and parallel two of them together. I know 195A is enough for a fuse, it's plenty, but if one fails or gets blown due to a hard short, having a back up mosfet is always nice in your setup. Otherwise it'll just autofire until the atomizer/batteries come out or something vents. If you're wondering how to do this, just lay the mosfet leads down over each other and solder them together, back to back is the best way. Then just wire as normal. One resistor per mosfet, if you parallel them be sure you use two of the 1w15KOhm resistors on each mosfet.

If you ever have any wiring or modding questions, feel free to PM me. I've been a modder for two years and I'm an electrical engineer on top of that, I'm always down to help. A good mod is a safe mod.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, +1. A 1watt resistor is more than enough. A 1/4 watt, or even a 1/8 watt is plenty. With a 2-battery series mod, the maximum voltage possible is 8.4V, and if you smack that across a 15K resistor, it will only make .0047 watts. The purpose of the resistor is to prevent the gate pin from "floating," so it doesn't turn the MOSFET on by accident. So, you put that resistor between the gate pin and the negative rail (positive rail for a P-chan) to carry a trickle current to bring the gate to 0 or "off" volts in case of leakage or static charge or something. It doesn't carry any part of the circuit load.

The thing about MOSFETs is they're not only switches; they can also be used as amplifiers, so a large current will follow, or replicate, a tiny one. This is because a MOSFET doesn't have to turn "all the way" on. They can be thought of as an electrically controlled variable resistor, sort of. For an N-chan resistance in the Source-Drain path varies indirectly with gate voltage. Hit the gate with small voltage, it turns on part way; increase the gate voltage and it opens up more. That 3034 is moderately sensitive; if memory serves, gate threshold is like 1V. So, just a tiny bit of charge will open up S-D at least a little, and you'll get anything from a battery drain to an autofire, depending on gate charge. The pulldown resistor prevents this by tying gate to 0V.

VU Sponsors