Become a Patron!

4000+ MAH capacity batteries okay for series mods?

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I just picked up a first edition noisy cricket.

My build right now is drawing 83 watts and 10 amps.

Since I'm drawing so little amperage, could I safely use 18650 batteries rated for only 10 or 15 amps but with 4000 Mah or higher?

If I could use high capacity batteries this thing would last me all day on one charge.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just not worth the risk. Use a good high capacity 20 amp or higher mooch rated battery.

the mah on those higher mah batteries are usually at 1 amp or so drain to get those capacities.
The higher the current draw the less mah.

And voltage sag on those 10 amp batteries is usually horrible.
You want best capacity and 20 amp or less draw?
VTC6.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Funny you mention the vtc6; it's the battery I was leaning towards. Are they better than the brown LG HG2s?

It just seems to me that by pushing so much voltage, I should be able to get away with ~3600mah/10-15 amp batteries, and that matching the discharge amperage rating perhaps would improve the batteries' efficiency additionally beyond just the marginal listed MaH increase.

A lot of mooches tests show that different batteries capacity curves are different at different amperage is. And if I understood it correctly, the higher storage batteries are only actually higher storage if they are drained at lower amps.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny you mention the vtc6; it's the battery I was leaning towards. Are they better than the brown LG HG2s?

It just seems to me that by pushing so much voltage, I should be able to get away with ~3600mah/10-15 amp batteries, and that matching the discharge amperage rating perhaps would improve the batteries' efficiency additionally beyond just the marginal listed MaH increase.

A lot of mooches tests show that different batteries capacity curves are different at different amperage is. And if I understood it correctly, the higher storage batteries are only actually higher storage if they are drained at lower amps.

Yep.
Watch this.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I just ordered a pair of 30qs and a pair of vtc6s. I suspect they'll have nearly identical run times but I'll post back here if I find otherwise.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I already own 6 brown LGs. I got a bunch from my mom when she switched from my old fuchai duo mod to one of those little pens.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just ordered a pair of 30qs and a pair of vtc6s. I suspect they'll have nearly identical run times but I'll post back here if I find otherwise.

Well the VTC6 hits a little bit harder (i.e. it has a smaller voltage sag so you'll be getting slightly higher volts). The fact that the VTC6 runs at higher volts means it would take longer before you'd get that low voltage vape on the mech from it in theory, but in practice at the same time also on the mech it means you'll be getting slightly higher amps─due to Ohm's law─so now we're also talking higher watts, and, upping the power consumption (watts) always shortens the run time.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yep runtime should not be a lot different with those 2 batteries, however the VTC6 should keep hitting a bit harder longer than the 30Q per mooch's tests.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yep runtime should not be a lot different with those 2 batteries, however the VTC6 should keep hitting a bit harder longer than the 30Q per mooch's tests.
Those are constant current discharge tests. But like I just explained, the current is neither constant nor is it identical between the VTC6 and the 30Q anyway in the first place (Ohm's law).

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those are constant current discharge tests. But like I just explained, the current is neither constant nor is it identical between the VTC6 and the 30Q anyway in the first place (Ohm's law).
True but the constant current test shows more WH from the VTC6.
Mo Power!

Either will work fine though.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
True but the constant current test shows more WH from the VTC6.
Mo Power!

Either will work fine though.
Yup. The slightly higher watts we typically tend to compensate by taking slightly shorter pulls anyway in the first place, so in the end we're not really draining the battery that much faster, maybe actually even slower because harder hits also mean shorter ramp up time of the coils so the power is used more efficiently as a result─something Mooch also touched on in the "Battery Chat With Mooch" video on YouTube by Vaping Biker.

VU Sponsors