Become a Patron!

A few questions about the Kanger Mini Protank 3 before I buy it.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So after two months of a CE5, I've given up on trying to get any flavor or quality out of it. I hear a lot of people talking about Protanks, so I thought I'd look for one.

I found this Mini Prokank 3... https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/kanger-mini-protank-3-vapes.html
It is much cheaper than the full sized Protank, and I only need a small tank because I don't mind refilling once or twice a day.

I have an iJoy 650mah Variable Voltage battery from here: https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/ijoy-650mah-variable-voltage-battery.html
It says it has a 510/eGo thread but I don't know what that means. Will it fit Protank? I don't want to have to get another battery. Please don't tell me to get a different battery, especially if it's one of those huge ones unless it is really required to work with this Mini Protank 3. Unlike many of you, I don't care about blowing gigantic clouds. All I want is something that I can get some flavor out of and get my fix of nicotine. This battery ranges from 3.7-4.2 volts and it lasts almost a day and a half for me. So if this battery works well with the Protank and will deliver decent performance, I'll stick with it.

Also, this Mini Protank 3 comes with dual coils. I'm starting to rebuild, so I want to know if this will make it difficult to rebuild. Like I said, I don't need to make huge clouds, so could I just make a single coil in the same head when the time comes to rebuild it? I just saw a video showing someone rebuilding a dual coil Protank 3 and it looks like they could have just put one coil in there too. One was just stacked on the other with an extra wick in between.

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm a beginner and have had some terrible experiences with vaping recently. I don't want to make another bad purchase nor continue vaping this expensive juice without even being able to taste it.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The battery will fit fine.

If you want an easier draw and AFC, you might consider the Aerotank Mini instead.

I have not rebuilt those coils myself, but yes, single coil is easier than dual to rebuild.

However, if you are going to rebuild, you might consider upgrading to an atty that is intended for that or can do both. The quality of the vape will be far better. Some like the Kayfun Mini are even small enough to match those skinny batteries.

Best of luck to you.

Screenshot 2015-03-17 at 6.23.48 PM.png Screenshot 2015-03-17 at 6.17.52 PM.png Screenshot 2015-03-17 at 6.19.03 PM.png

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wife uses the Aerotank mini by Kanger:
http://www.discountvapers.com/kanger-aerotank-mini/

Yeah, its pricey for a clearomizer, but you get what you pay for. Less fiddly IMO compared to the PT3 which she had before but hated because of constant issues. The newer coils just seem to last longer, give better flavor and generally hassle free as far as I can tell.

Alternative is the genitank, basically the same thing, just a cheaper version of the Aerotank
http://www.discountvapers.com/kanger-genitank-mini/

To be blunt about it, don't go too cheap on your tank, in the long run you will either spend more chasing cheap clearo after clearo, or will give up vaping altogether and revert back to a more expensive habit.

Also be wary of Kanger knock off coils, only buy the replacements from a reputable retailer. Discountvapers is one of them, it was my go-to store when I first started vaping.

As for your battery, that will work just fine, no need to replace or upgrade if its working well for you now.

Edit: didn't realize Westpole posted before I did lol. Great suggestion, but would caution you on Fastech when it comes to Kanger copies, can be hit or miss, which may only be a nominal amount to risk, but for newer vapers, it can become a make or break point.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wife uses the Aerotank mini by Kanger:
http://www.discountvapers.com/kanger-aerotank-mini/

Yeah, its pricey for a clearomizer, but you get what you pay for. Less fiddly IMO compared to the PT3 which she had before but hated because of constant issues. The newer coils just seem to last longer, give better flavor and generally hassle free as far as I can tell.
I agree 100%. I have 3 Aerotank Minis and I love them. I do not have or use any other tanks. I have not had any other issues with them. I have only used 6 coils since early November.
Unlike many of you, I don't care about blowing gigantic clouds. All I want is something that I can get some flavor out of and get my fix of nicotine. This battery ranges from 3.7-4.2 volts and it lasts almost a day and a half for me. So if this battery works well with the Protank and will deliver decent performance, I'll stick with it...
I vape like you do. To not smoke, not as a hobby. The Aerotank Minis are perfect for that, and will work fine with your battery. They work just fine on all 3 of these batteries

Aerotank Minis2.jpg
Also, this Mini Protank 3 comes with dual coils. I'm starting to rebuild, so I want to know if this will make it difficult to rebuild. Like I said, I don't need to make huge clouds, so could I just make a single coil in the same head when the time comes to rebuild it? I just saw a video showing someone rebuilding a dual coil Protank 3 and it looks like they could have just put one coil in there too. One was just stacked on the other with an extra wick in between...
The coils in the Aerotank minis last 4-6 weeks or longer. I think rebuilding them is not practical since they can be had for a little over $2 a piece.
I don't want to make another bad purchase nor continue vaping this expensive juice without even being able to taste it.
You won't regret purchasing the Aerotank Minis for your application. They come with metal and glass tanks, so if you need to travel, play sports, or do anything that might break the glass tank, the metal tanks really are handy. Refilling them is a bit of a pain because you can't tell that they are full until right before you overflow the center tube, but its a small price to pay for a damn near unbreakable tank. They produce very good flavor.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im liking the protank2 mini (which is single coil) with the kanger V3 afc you will need to purchase separate.

The V3 air flow controller is the best AFC kanger has for those type tanks...Very precise adjustments to find your perfect vape

20150209_141259.jpg

The drip tip is from an EMOW tank and doesn't come on a protank 2 mini.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Picked mom up an aerotank v2.. the coils that came with it are total fucking shit.
So far has made me leery to drop anymore coin Kanger's direction.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Picked mom up an aerotank v2.. the coils that came with it are total fucking shit.
So far has made me leery to drop anymore coin Kanger's direction.

Try some diy 28g micro coils in one :)

ApeMustNotKillVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yes, the mini protank 3 is decent. once you have drilled out one airflow to 1/16
in my opinion the airotanks are a waste because the kanger dual coil is limited to the coil pin hole for airflow.

Tutorial for rebuilding is here.
http://www.vapingunderground.com/threads/kanger-protank-3-dual-coil-rebuild-tutorial.2728/

Yes, you can rebuild these as a single coil. Super easy that way.
But you want to stay away from new style dual coil. You need the old style for easy rebuilding.
As a new builder, you are probably going to have some frustration because your ego will not tell you ohlms of your builds.
Use 30ga if you are aiming for around 1.8 and 32ga for something around 2.5 in single coil.

You should take a look at the kanger single coil models also. they are cheaper, hold more juice, and the replacement coils are cheaper.
There won't be any difference if you are rebuilding with single coil.

Forgot to mention. coming from a CE5 you will likely be unimpressed with the flavor of these bottom coil tanks. Top coils are warmer and have better flavor. bottom coils are cooler and have less flavor but do not get anywhere near the number of dry hits.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What Ape said. The new style dual coil heads are garbage. Don't even try rebuilding them. Find the old style dual coil heads (fasttech has knockoffs that would probably be fine for rebuilding) or get a tank that uses single coil kanger heads. They never got changed so they are easy to rebuild. The singles and old style duals both perform amazingly well when rebuilt.
4qZEqey.jpg

VU Sponsors