Become a Patron!

A request to everyone doing reviews on RTAs,RDTAs,RDAs,and tanks

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ok before you all even think it, Im not singling anyone out cuz every review I have ever read or seen is guilty of the same things

"This is flavorful"
"Flavor on this thing is awesome"
"This thing is flavor heaven"
etc etc etc

Taste is subjective
Alot of people think the vgod rta is flavorful - I DONT - its too airy and kills the flavor
I think the flavor or the griffin 22 is top of the world while others think other stuff is better

So how am I or others suppose to know what you think is flavorful

Every reviewer needs an index of their most flavorful atomizer to their least

so when you review the newest thing you can add it in to said list

or at least compare it to other stuff so people have a clue what you think is good flavor

Simply telling us it has good flavor is useless if theres no comparison

Thank you

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Opinions are allowed here, Does this mean vendors here on VU are not allowed to post about their mods and tanks having good flavor either, as posted in the 2nd paragraph of this vendor's thread?
http://vapingunderground.com/thread...-kit-lower-to-23-69-and-free-shipping.336362/ , you are going to be busy complaining about all the vendors here that talk about great flavor on the gear they post about as well, or are you just concerned about a certain few reviewers only??
You don't like them, then scroll past them, better yet, don't click on the thread.

tumblr_o0fjopVZ491s8ge1mo1_500_zpsyju4dteq.gif

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Opinions are allowed here, Does this mean vendors here on VU are not allowed to post about their mods and tanks having good flavor either, as posted in the 2nd paragraph of this vendor's thread?
http://vapingunderground.com/thread...-kit-lower-to-23-69-and-free-shipping.336362/ , you are going to be busy complaining about all the vendors here that talk about great flavor on the gear they post about as well, or are you just concerned about a certain few reviewers only??
You don't like them, then scroll past them, better yet, don't click on the thread.

tumblr_o0fjopVZ491s8ge1mo1_500_zpsyju4dteq.gif

WTF...all he asked was for reviewers to make some sort of comparison to other gear they've used so he has some yardstick on which to base their standards, and tastes... of what they deem as a good flavor atty....alot of reviewers do this.... they have three or four of their favorite flavor attys and they rate stuff compared to those...his request was not unreasonable at all....he didn't ask them to withold their opinions, he simply asked them to clarify on what those opinions are based on.....I trust certain reviewers because I know they've been vaping for years, and have tried about everything out there , and from the comparisons they make I know whether or not they have a palatte.....after all there are a helluva alot of people who think MacDonalds is yummy which is fine, but I'm sure as hell not going to take their advice on a resturaunt.

Scott Bonner would always review gennys, and he's always say the same thing almost ever single time...."it has great flavor... what you'd expect from a genesis atomizer"...that is a near useless review.

where as Mark Todd would tell you it was a great genny as a good as A G-bell his favorite or a Pulse G or a RSM Rocket....or he'd rate drippers flavor alongside the Origens...

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Dunno whether this is appropriate for every review although it is something I thought seriously about for a while before I started writing them. I came to the conclusion though people will treat it the same as DIY in that they take a few recommended attys or recipes and you soon know who's palette you share and go from there ...I've done a few now tend to draw comparisons to other attys in my reviews but I wouldnt want to continually write a top list as I'd have to forever edit the reviews

Also how would you start some people like flavour others cloud, others somewhere in between do you do a list for each?

Then there is the type of atty, features, utility, how many coils, etc etc not everyone wants something just for flavour

There are so many ways you could list a top selection I think it would be difficult to achieve it without some sort of criteria to follow

I think it's more appropriate when asked in threads to list them depending on what the user is asking at the time as i and many others have done then perhaps link reviews you think are appropriate for further reading

That or make a dedicated video or written review listing out your favourites in a class or overall at a particular point in time and reasons why

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WTF...all he asked was for reviewers to make some sort of comparison to other gear they've used so he has some yardstick on which to base their standards, and tastes... of what they deem as a good flavor atty....alot of reviewers do this.... they have three or four of their favorite flavor attys and they rate stuff compared to those...his request was not unreasonable at all....he didn't ask them to withold their opinions, he simply asked them to clarify on what those opinions are based on.....I trust certain reviewers because I know they've been vaping for years, and have tried about everything out there , and from the comparisons they make I know whether or not they have a palatte.....after all there are a helluva alot of people who think MacDonalds is yummy which is fine, but I'm sure as hell not going to take their advice on a resturaunt.

Scott Bonner would always review gennys, and he's always say the same thing almost ever single time...."it has great flavor... what you'd expect from a genesis atomizer"...that is a near useless review.

where as Mark Todd would tell you it was a great genny as a good as A G-bell his favorite or a Pulse G or a RSM Rocket....or he'd rate drippers flavor alongside the Origens...
Damn @pulsevape, I ended up having to read that crap anyway...
I agree about taste references and I don't think it's a burden on the reviewer. Most of these guys start out with- I got this (input item here) free expressly for doing this review but it will not change my opinion. Blah blah blah. I've found that there are VERY few that this holds true and those few are the ones I tend to watch/read now.
@KingPin! I completely see you point about the revolving "top 10" list. However, throwing in a well known atty as a baseline would make a review much more relatable in a real world scenario. Most of us watch reviews to learn about new product that we haven't tried yet and are trying to decide to drop cash on it.
For instance: I'm trying to decide if I want to drop $70-80 on a reload. What I really want to know is how does it stack up against something well known and I can relate to. Something that's been out long enough that most peo0le probably already have.
Anyway, vape on guys and thanks for the thread @Mattp169. I think it's a valid point and should be considered.
I'm sure I'm breaking some rule but I'll never see it unless someone wastes their time and quotes that crap. LMFAO.

Tyson Approved
240510ee198ac6d81c4fdbf96b494620.jpg

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought opinions were allowed here...I guess what you meant to say is...YOUR opinion is allowed here.
I agree with you:blowkiss:
But I also see a pattern of some members with an agenda for certain reviewers as well.

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Damn @pulsevape, I ended up having to read that crap anyway...
I agree about taste references and I don't think it's a burden on the reviewer. Most of these guys start out with- I got this (input item here) free expressly for doing this review but it will not change my opinion. Blah blah blah. I've found that there are VERY few that this holds true and those few are the ones I tend to watch/read now.
@KingPin! I completely see you point about the revolving "top 10" list. However, throwing in a well known atty as a baseline would make a review much more relatable in a real world scenario. Most of us watch reviews to learn about new product that we haven't tried yet and are trying to decide to drop cash on it.
For instance: I'm trying to decide if I want to drop $70-80 on a reload. What I really want to know is how does it stack up against something well known and I can relate to. Something that's been out long enough that most peo0le probably already have.
Anyway, vape on guys and thanks for the thread @Mattp169. I think it's a valid point and should be considered.
I'm sure I'm breaking some rule but I'll never see it unless someone wastes their time and quotes that crap. LMFAO.

Tyson Approved
240510ee198ac6d81c4fdbf96b494620.jpg

I appreciate what you are saying Xevu and you can comment under the review to ask that very question. I suspect pretty much every reviewer out there would welcome feedback and come back and respond assuming they have experienced using the atty you are after ...As I said I personally do try to draw comparisons to other attys I've tried but what I deem as suitable comparible products might not be what you are after within the review

there is also an element in a review you are trying to convey the details of the product itself bringing other attys into the review isn't necessarily always appropriate or relevant unless you are pointing out a flaw or something done well elsewhere

asking is often the best approach otherwise a reviewer will have to mind read as to what every person wants to know making a review ridiculously long Which takes it back to the point I was trying to convey above

Last edited:

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with you:blowkiss:
But I also see a pattern of some members with an agenda for certain reviewers as well.
That's called a conspiracy theory.

I see a man on the grassy knoll shooting JFK. Who was that man you ask, George H W Bush, who very shortly thereafter became the youngest ever head of the CIA then VP then PotUS....

1d26d297cc104116497b114e459a0479.gif

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
I came to the conclusion though people will treat it the same as DIY in that they take a few recommended attys or recipes and you soon know who's palette you share and go from there

throwing in a well known atty as a baseline would make a review much more relatable in a real world scenario. Most of us watch reviews to learn about new product that we haven't tried yet and are trying to decide to drop cash on it.

Both suggestions can work together. A baseline atty, experience with specific reviewers -- which like most experience can be costly. And also, maybe a vocabulary -- the kind chefs and wine or coffee lovers have. (Although tbh, 80% of the time I don't quite understand what they're saying.) I try out different reviewers and if one of their recommendations works for me, I start to think that maybe we have similar preferences so I'm more inclined to listen. I like the baseline idea but the problem with that is what would that be at this point? Maybe several baseline attys of different types?

About the costly reviews. Let's throw in a caveat to everyone who starts vaping and tries to research: beware of youtube reviewers who like everything. Really. I used to avidly follow some reviewers because when you google about vaping and look for recommendations, youtube is a go to. And then I looked at views and followers and thought, maybe these people are credible. And then I watched and listened and after a while realized that for some reviewers everything was a great buy.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Both suggestions can work together. A baseline atty, experience with specific reviewers -- which like most experience can be costly. And also, maybe a vocabulary -- the kind chefs and wine or coffee lovers have. (Although tbh, 80% of the time I don't quite understand what they're saying.) I try out different reviewers and if one of their recommendations works for me, I start to think that maybe we have similar preferences so I'm more inclined to listen. I like the baseline idea but the problem with that is what would that be at this point? Maybe several baseline attys of different types?

About the costly reviews. Let's throw in a caveat to everyone who starts vaping and tries to research: beware of youtube reviewers who like everything. Really. I used to avidly follow some reviewers because when you google about vaping and look for recommendations, youtube is a go to. And then I looked at views and followers and thought, maybe these people are credible. And then I watched and listened and after a while realized that for some reviewers everything was a great buy.

I completely agree rocket

Also on the whole everything is rainbows unfortunately I got caught out by the hype train a few times watching some of the big names when I first started ....hopefully I've been able to set that some of that straight .....if something is not up to par I'll point it out wouldn't give a monkeys whether it's something I bought or got to review ...if it meant I wasn't to ever get any more free stuff ever again oh well I'm back where I started buying it and putting my thoughts out there, I only write reviews to help out fellow members not in it for glory, I just get enjoyment out of helping others out where I can, give back to the very community the welcomed me and taught me the ropes in the beginning, I'd still be smoking if it's wasn't for VU

To bring this ramble to a close I think it's more important that manufacturers are held to account and up thier game as a result of flaws in the products no point pretending everything is peachy when it isn't how else can they improve otherwise. On this subject I can honestly say of the active members on VU who I've read reviews of I think it's true of all them I picked up many products as a result of others reviews and been happy with them for the most part, I'd rather trust the guys on this forum then some big name reviewer earning a fortune just to drop a review...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I completely agree rocket

Also on the whole everything is rainbows unfortunately I got caught out by the hype train a few times watching some of the big names when I first started ....hopefully I've been able to set that some of that straight .....if something is not up to par I'll point it out wouldn't give a monkeys whether it's something I bought or got to review ...if it meant I wasn't to ever get any more free stuff ever again oh well I'm back where I started buying it and putting my thoughts out there, I only write reviews to help out fellow members not in it for glory, I just get enjoyment out of helping others out where I can, give back to the very community the welcomed me and taught me the ropes in the beginning, I'd still be smoking if it's wasn't for VU

To bring this ramble to a close I think it's more important that manufacturers are held to account and up thier game as a result of flaws in the products no point pretending everything is peachy when it isn't how else can they improve otherwise. On this subject I can honestly say of the active members on VU who I've read reviews of I think it's true of all them I picked up many products as a result of others reviews and been happy with them for the most part, I'd rather trust the guys on this forum then some big name reviewer earning a fortune just to drop a review...
People that have been reviewing for a long time I listen to ......with the exception of grimgreen and Rip Tripper.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
People that have been reviewing for a long time I listen to ......with the exception of grimgreen and Rip Tripper.

who's that? Interested to know who you follow pulse

VU Sponsors