Become a Patron!

??? about coil building

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So Im fairly new to vaping as a whole, never mind building coils. Ive got a couple apps on my phone that are coil winding calculators but everytime I input some different values to try to get to a 1ohm coil, it ends up telling me I need 10, 20, even 45 wraps lol. So I just went out and bought a few different wire gauges and started building with my coilmaster kit and taking notes of what I was getting.

But...thats kind of a waste of good wire, and even tho I did google it, there doesnt seem to be a good resource that I could find anyway (but I am getting a lil older and I heavily abused my body and mind in my teens and 20s ha). So if anyone can point me in the right direction of a chart, database, a good calculator or whatever, thatd be cool and Id appreciate it, or if you wanna explain it to me a bit.

TL;DR version...I want to build 1ohm coils for a dual coil RDA build to get me to around 0.5, and the calculator apps tell me I need crazy amount of wraps when I punch in some variables. Point me in the right direction plz.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm not really understanding what are you trying to achieve, but let me call @raymo2u
He's cool guy...

Vape On

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you must be punching in some wrong numbers, what gauge wire are you using and what is the diameter of the coils you are wrapping.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm not really understanding what are you trying to achieve, but let me call @raymo2u
He's cool guy...

Vape On

I guess what Im trying to ask is where can I calculate how a coil will turn out accurately, inputting numbers such as ohm goal and wire gauge. Basically Im a noob trying to wrap some 1 ohm coils, and so far my experiments havent gotten me there, so what are some starting points.

you must be punching in some wrong numbers, what gauge wire are you using and what is the diameter of the coils you are wrapping.

Well like I said Im pretty new to vaping and everything so still learning, but I was punching in numbers like 20, 22, 24 gauge at like 3mm and other diameters and the couple apps I punched it into were giving me 10+ wraps to get 1ohm. In one instance I wound up with something close to 50 wraps just punching some numbers in.

I have on hand 22, 24, 26, and 28 gauge kanthal wire, and have the coilmaster V2 kit, so can roll them from 1mm up to 4mm and everything in between in half mm increments.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah you should be able to use 28 gauge on like a 3mm 2.5 mm diameter and get 1 ohm without a silly number of wraps..do you have an ohm meter.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah Ive got one, otherwise I wouldnt be building or at least not using the builds. Right now Im using just a single .4 coil in my RDA, but Id like to put dual 1ohms in there. Ill give that a try though and see what I come up with.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Per Steam Engine, on a 3 mm ID coil with 26g Kanthal, 7 wraps should get you to 0.5 ohm on a simple dual coil. Sounds a lot like a build I'd enjoy around 50 watts...

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Per Steam Engine, on a 3 mm ID coil with 26g Kanthal, 7 wraps should get you to 0.5 ohm on a simple dual coil. Sounds a lot like a build I'd enjoy around 50 watts...

Worked out pretty well. Built the coils like you said and after wicking and everything the RDA was sitting at 0.46 ohm. Works decent and makes a decent amount of vapor but is a little lacking in flavor. I guess half the fun is tinkering lol

I appreciate all the comments and help!

VU Sponsors