Become a Patron!

ACA's tobacco surcharges reduce smokers' insurance take-up, study finds

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, DUH. What did they think would happen, by charging smokers more? That smokers would fall all over themselves to pay more for insurance? "No, thanks, I'll just keep smoking and skip your stupid insurance." Most smokers can much more easily live without insurance than without smoking. Especially when it's already been shown that most smokers fall into lower socio-economic groups, and therefore probably qualify for the exemption -- as I have done for 2 yrs in a row.

Andria

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just wait, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Some insurance companies are already collecting data on their policyholders, attempting to discern a pattern in their buying habits and subsequently their lifestyle from which they hope to add additional surcharges should you not fall into what they deem a 'healthy' category. Ever wonder why your local grocery store basically forces you to join their 'loyalty' program? They are selling your data.

"Hmm, I see you ate a Twinkie and a Coke on May 18th, I'm going to have to charge you an extra 10$ dollars this month." Yes, right now that seems a bit far fetched, but that type of scrutiny isn't too far off with this new 'universal healthcare system' imho.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just wait, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Some insurance companies are already collecting data on their policyholders, attempting to discern a pattern in their buying habits and subsequently their lifestyle from which they hope to add additional surcharges should you not fall into what they deem a 'healthy' category. Ever wonder why your local grocery store basically forces you to join their 'loyalty' program? They are selling your data.

"Hmm, I see you ate a Twinkie and a Coke on May 18th, I'm going to have to charge you an extra 10$ dollars this month." Yes, right now that seems a bit far fetched, but that type of scrutiny isn't too far off with this new 'universal healthcare system' imho.

Which is another reason I'm really glad to be exempt from the stupid UNaffordable Care Act. I take care of my own health just FINE.

Andria

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Simple solution: Sign up for the loyalty card using a bogus name & address, and pay for your groceries the way this man would:

finger.png

VU Sponsors