Become a Patron!

Advice for switching from MTL to DTL…

DIYMixer

Member For 1 Year
Hey Undergrounders! I’d like to transition from low wattage MTL to higher wattage DTL vaping. Currently I vape 5% salt nics MTL with low wattage. My primary motivation for switching to DTL is enhanced flavor experience. I’m not particularly interested in producing giant clouds, but being stealth isn’t important either. I’m considering vaping between 50-80 watts (no higher than 100 watts) with a 510 drip tip. Ohms around 0.3? Does this seem like a combination that might get me going in the right direction? I’m looking into Geekvape and possibly a Zeus sub-ohm tank at the advice of a friend. Having a decent throat hit IS important to me which leads me to a more difficult question to research and probably more difficult for you to answer… What nicotine strength (freebase) with the above mod (DTL) would be best for me transitioning from 5% nic salts (MTL)? Any mod recommendations would be awesome! Thanks 🙏

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What mod(s) do you have?

You've put some parameters (.3Ω - 50/80W - 510 tip) on it that I personally wouldn't put.
Do yourself a favor and skip the sub-ohm coil heads and just go rebuildable. Any workable resistance, any wattage although the atty chosen may have some bearing on that, one could be both 510 or 810.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What mod(s) do you have?

You've put some parameters (.3Ω - 50/80W - 510 tip) on it that I personally wouldn't put.
Do yourself a favor and skip the sub-ohm coil heads and just go rebuildable. Any workable resistance, any wattage although the atty chosen may have some bearing on that, one could be both 510 or 810.
Agreed, but he said Zeus. Afaik they didn't make a drop in tank, only rebuildable?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Also mentioned...
I’m looking into Geekvape and possibly a Zeus sub-ohm tank at the advice of a friend. the above mod (DTL
which for me is a bit confusing. Maybe its a Geekvape kit? And calling the tank a mod? Maybe some clarification soon.

DIYMixer

Member For 1 Year
Please bear with me, all of this is new to me. I tend to overthink things which sometimes works in my favor and sometimes not so much 😆 I was referring to a Geekvape mod (Aegis) and the Z Zeus tank. Sorry for the confusion. I don’t yet own a mod. For the last few years I’ve been vaping refillable pod systems (Suorin) e-cigs (Myle, Vuse) and disposable vapes (Hyde). I’m looking to purchase a mod specifically to use for getting balanced flavor assessments from e-liquids. Similar to how sound engineers prefer studio monitors without enhancement, delivering a flat frequency response, I’m looking to build a mod that has the power to deliver enough vapor to taste the intricacies of flavor profiles in juice, but not so hot that flavors might be muted. Hence, why I would like to begin vaping DTL and why I’m exploring wattage perimeters and drip tip specs. It’s my understanding that wattage and drip tips can contribute quite a bit to how flavor is interpreted and this is very important to me because I plan on using this mod to test DIY juice. I hope this clarifies a bit..

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You are trying to make too big of a jump. I think what you would like is known as "restricted DL"... not full blown clouds but still a sort of DL. I Also transitioned from "loose" MTL to "restricted" DL (do both now)
There is something you might like (I won it in a contest and have fallen in love with it... it's a "pod mod")
The Innokin Kroma Z... large built-in battery, lightweight, refillable/replacable pod that uses the common and popular Z coils (many to choose from) It comes with a 0.8 coil (loose MTL) and a 0.3 coil (restricted DL) Charge with type C USB (most newer devices use this... micro USB sucks) A full blown DL tank might be too much for you, and if the mod takes removable batteries you really need an external charger (if you have a decent budget this a good idea) The Innokin Zenith 2 is a good tank if you decide to get a good mod (has better airflow than original Zenith) I would avoid the Zenith Pro (extra features you don't need and more things to go wrong)
Keep in mind that 5 % nic is the same as 50 mg... very strong. For freebase you will need 12 mg (it's hard to find stronger) but with more vapor you get more nic so that should work for you (6mg will not be enough) Actually, since you are also DIY mixing, you can make any nic strength you want.
I'm not into "throat hit" so can't help with that (regular nic and higher PG is what is recommended)
You also don't need as high of watts as you mentioned (that is for full blown DL) I have a tank made for that but use a mesh coil rated for over 50 watts and still only use 45 watts.
Some day, consider building but first get used to the transition from the small devices you are using.
Don't try to go from a "go-cart to a dragster".

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I advise to not make the jump past 45w

Reasons against: personal opinions and experiences)

1. 510 Drip Tip… the bore on these are generally not larger than 5mm, at 45w this is quite warm.

2. Salts get rough at higher wattage, even smooth salts (my preference)

3. You vape so much more juice

Reasons for:

1. Atomization of liquid is better (less nic concentration needed for same affect)

2. Different “notes” of juices are perceived at higher wattages

I direct lung hit 6mg salts in my Boro devices at .7-1.1ohm at 13w, it’s a MTL build all day, simple plain round wire, but I don’t draw it into my mouth then inhale.

When I use my mechs, I vape at 140w+ using RDAs with ohms sitting at .08/.09 on 30Ts, but I barely use 1mg smooth salts.

I also dabble in my Squonk mods at .7 or so ohms at 27-35w and this is straight DL like my mechs.

Each setup is for different juices I mix…

Example:

Boro devices… Red Pill 6mg 50/50 is awesome… but Red Pill tastes like melted ass nuggets at 35w+ regardless of nic strength or pg/vg

Same goes for mechs… my all day favorite juice at 75/25 1mg tastes like anal curry at anything below 120w

Sorry for the wall of text

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I hope this clarifies a bit.
It does.
I went from MTL to DL.
Could also get an atty that is good for RDL or DL, and get a 510 adapter so 510 or 810 tips can be used. Both sizes [as well as the atty] can have restricted or open bore for RDL/DL.

For a first mod I'd go with regulated.
imo Get a good one - the brand, its quality of construction, the chip inside, and personal visual appeal. You'll want it to fire quickly at the press of the button, most do, and read the resistance accurately, most do. Other than that the atomizer, coil, your wattage preference, will determine the amount of power.

The [rebuildable] atomizer decides how many coils, maybe a resistance range (hence the wattage), the type of air flow, and flavor.

Planning for the future, other than a mod you could go with an RDA to vape and to test your DIY and once you've practiced a couple few builds and figured out your resistance and nic, for more juice capacity you could get an RTA and/or a squonker, as well as more RDA's,...and mods lol.

You'd also need batteries, battery charger is recommended, coils, wick....

DIYMixer

Member For 1 Year
Wow!! Great information 🤘

@VapeOn1960 Excellent advice. I needed to be reeled in 🎣 I’ll look into the Innokin Zenith 2 and definitely transition to restricted DL first. I’ve got time to experiment, I might as well enjoy the process. I’ll start with 12mg and reassess from there.

@~Don~ No apology necessary! I love walls of text!! 🤣 Especially helpful walls. It’s freeing to hear that there’s no one wattage range that enhances all juices. As “nice” as it might seem to have a one size fits all solution, it’s a good reminder that we’re working with lots of complex variables and it’s going to take effort. I’ll never fully understand it or pin it down and that’s freeing in a sense. Vaping isn’t only a hobby or lifestyle, it’s philosophical in nature. Right up my alley!!

@Vape Fan “Planning for the future” and adaptability is my takeaway. And you sent me down the rabbit hole… 🐇 ⭐️ RDAs and RTAs, my brain is hurting in a good way 😅

DIYMixer

Member For 1 Year
D
Sounds like you are on a good track to me 👍🏻 I vape 6mg in mtl, and 3mg in dl. I guess everyones needs are different, but I would think 3mg would be good. I use 70/30 vg/pg, and get just enough of a throat hit from 3mg.
What kind of system do you like to use for vaping MTL? Same mod with adjustable airflow or separate? Thanks!

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
D

What kind of system do you like to use for vaping MTL? Same mod with adjustable airflow or separate? Thanks!
If you would like to try something rebuildable for mtl, I would highly recommend a 2019 Kayfun clone. Still can be had from 3Fvape or Fasttec as far as I know. The authentics are pretty pricey, around $90, but the clones (sxk, yftk, or ulton) are all pretty well made, and in the $20 and under range. I'm sure the 2020 and 2021 are great too, but I have not used them. Nice tight draw like you would be use to, and excellent flavor. They would be perfectly fine on the Ageis mod you are talking about, just built at a higher ohm and run at a lower power than a DTL atty. There are many others, but for a first try, would be my recommendation.
Edit: The air flow is always going to be adjusted with the atomizer on rebuildables, not the mod. Just something to consider when browsing.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If you buy an Aegis mod (not a pod mod, but the Legend, Max, or X) you can put any 510 atomizer on it, so that gives you adaptability going into the future. The same is also true, though, of any dual-18650 or single 2x700 mod with a 510 connector on it. Just so happens that the Aegis line is really good. My personal favorite is the Aegis X (uses a single 20700 or 21700).

As you see, every one of us will give different recommendations; we are far from cookie-cutter, but everyone who has responded to you so far is experienced and wouldn't steer you wrong.

I also agree with having an RDA for testing DIY. It's just so easy to yank out a little dab of cotton and put a fresh one in for testing a new juice - no $5.00 coil to mess up every time. Costs a penny or two instead of $5.00. Simple coils are just that - simple, require few tools and don't take much time to wrap, you just have to educate yourself a bit about how to be safe and accurate with your builds.

At this point in time, I would not suggest to anyone that they make a big investment in sub-ohm tanks, because it's so much harder to order vape supplies these days. If you're self-sufficient in the e-liquid arena, sooner or later you'll want to be self-sufficient in the coils arena too. Might as well be now. lol Do note that people seem to have a bit more trouble building and wicking RTAs than they do RDAs, and really, in comparison, it's super-simple to build an RDA. You probably should start there. A Dead Rabbit SQ (22mm) is a good starter RDA, and I think you can actually still find them. I want to say that Wetvapes.com has them.

Also agree that in your initial post in this thread, you are describing a quantum leap, and I personally agree that it's too much at one time. I would try coil resistance at between 0.4 ohms and 0.7 ohms to start with, 30 to 45W, and either 9 or 12mg nicotine. Vaping 80 to 100W through a 510 drip tip? You're describing the fires of hell right there, bud. Your atomizer and drip tip would need to allow a lot more air circulation than you'll get through a 510 drip tip.

It probably won't be long before you'll be able to reduce nic to about 6mg, and from there it's just up to you to find the balance of whatever level keeps you from wanting to smoke (assuming you used to smoke). I got to 6mg and stayed there, but I have ADD, and nicotine is my ADD med. I don't intend to reduce any more until I get a lot nearer to the end of my stash.

Don't be shy with questions. As you see, we aren't reluctant at all to answer questions. It's exciting to see a new person just starting out - which is what I was when I came here about three years ago, and almost everything I know, I owe to the helpful, generous folks at VU. I came here using single-battery box mods, Kabuki clone tanks, and Nautilus coils. They've taught me (and a lot of other people) a lot.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am guessing that your head is spinning right now (good advice but maybe more than you need right now)
Just get a simple device and figure the rest out later. Many good people here to help you, but maybe just keep it simple for now (you may have noticed nobody mentioned Smok products) they had a really bad rep in the past (and maybe some of the newer stuff is better) I only mentioned this because many vape shops will suggest some full blown cloud blaster device (often Smok) You are better to take the advice of people here on the forum.

DIYMixer

Member For 1 Year
@nadalama 😆🤣 “Vaping 80 to 100W through a 510 drip tip? You're describing the fires of hell right there, bud.” You nailed it, and it’s a reminder of my ignorance AND my enthusiasm! I’m very appreciative of your insights, particularly your range oriented advice (nicotine, wattage and method) and pointing me towards being open minded to diy from the beginning. @VapeOn1960 I’m absolutely going to start with your suggested RDL pod mod and go from there. I am overwhelmed and I’m ok with that. I can marinate and plan with all this info so generously shared. You all are taking time to teach me (nobody) for no good reason (personal) and it’s much appreciated (subjective, yet true). All I can say is THANKS!!

Can't weigh in on the main part of the topic. I went straight DTL.
However I'd recommend getting the Zeus X RTA (just buy some pre-built coils, muji pads and side cutters) a rebuildable is so much cheaper in the long run if you can spare 15-20 minutes every two to three days. There's a bit of a learning curve, but if you could roll cigarettes when/if you smoked you'll be able to wick a vape no problem. The coils themselves last for weeks, so pre-wound coils to get you started are fine.

You can always use the Zeus Z if you need to swap out coils in a minute or two, but you'll spend so much more money on it and you have less chance to tailor everything to your preference which is what RBAs allow you to do.
Pre-built systems are like shaving with a cartridge razor and spray foam. An RBA is like using a DE safety razor (or a straight razor) and shaving cream/soap. Both in terms of quality, user experience and long term cost.

On the question of wattage, you'll probably want a lower wattage if you're just used to pod vapes and 'disposable' ones as they are pretty low wattage. I vape at 75W and people who've only used pod vapes usually end up choking.

PS:
Pro tip, those disposable vapes hide rechargeable lithium (lithium ion, lithium polymer or lithium iron phosphate) batteries inside them. Sometimes the batteries run out of juice before you run out of actual juice. If you have a balance charger (or a bench power supply and a keen eye) you can recharge those cells and use the whole vape, then keep them as spares. Also if you habe a drill use a 1mm drill bit and drill the empty casing, you can then refill using a syringe. If you don't want to recharge or reuse them and have a heap, consider seeing if someone will buy them or recycle them. Just don't short them out.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@John-W , I haven't tried it but the Zeus X RTA is very popular (would like to try that myself)
I think OP is going to try a mid-level "pod mod" first... then might be interested in building. I do understand that in the end, we all need to consider doing this (I am currently doing the same... RTAs and RDAs... and soon some RBAs) One step at a time...

@John-W , I haven't tried it but the Zeus X RTA is very popular (would like to try that myself)
I think OP is going to try a mid-level "pod mod" first... then might be interested in building. I do understand that in the end, we all need to consider doing this (I am currently doing the same... RTAs and RDAs... and soon some RBAs) One step at a time...
I went straight from a vape pen (Smok Vape pen V2) with replaceable coils to a geekvape Ageis and a Zeus X RTA.
There was a high upfront cost but with the cost of coils it was the best option for me.

That being said I've taken things apart and put them back together since I was an infant and loved taking electronic stuff apart so maybe I found things easier than others. However the wicking process was completely different for me. I also used some really nasty wire cutters to cut the legs off my coils at first.

The biggest thing that hit me was how small everything was. All pics are taken with a macro lens so you assume the screws will be a normal size. Thankfully I had a bit driver that could easily tighten the screws instead of the supplied 3 in 1 tool. As for cutting the coil leads, I used some crusty wire cutters, for the lead size I used (and still use) a sharpie to mark where I think I should cut and cut off any excess, only difference is I can get under the posts with tiny side cutters rather than cheap wire cutters.

The change for me was big, but I think that'll be the same for anyone using moving to a rebuildable unless it's huge with super easy access screw terminals. For me wicking was probably the hardest part to get right, except for when using the pre-supplied two pieces of shoelace cotton which were quite easy to use.

The "I'm gonna break it, I'm gonna break it" feeling was strong when I started out though.

The wet shaving/straight razor comparison is definitely a good one (in my head) things get a bit more difficult to do, but it's something that you get used to doing quickly.

I would say that using a mod with an RBA is like learning wet shaving. Buying a mech mod is like straight razor shaving (with a pre-sharpened razor) and building a mech is like straight razor shaving. Though I've never used mech mods the amount of knowledge and skill seems about right.

That being said I had a feeling of imminent disaster when setting up my RTA. It went okay for me, but some people with less patience than me might find it to be irritating or daunting.

DIYMixer

Member For 1 Year
I went straight from a vape pen (Smok Vape pen V2) with replaceable coils to a geekvape Ageis and a Zeus X RTA.
There was a high upfront cost but with the cost of coils it was the best option for me.

That being said I've taken things apart and put them back together since I was an infant and loved taking electronic stuff apart so maybe I found things easier than others. However the wicking process was completely different for me. I also used some really nasty wire cutters to cut the legs off my coils at first.

The biggest thing that hit me was how small everything was. All pics are taken with a macro lens so you assume the screws will be a normal size. Thankfully I had a bit driver that could easily tighten the screws instead of the supplied 3 in 1 tool. As for cutting the coil leads, I used some crusty wire cutters, for the lead size I used (and still use) a sharpie to mark where I think I should cut and cut off any excess, only difference is I can get under the posts with tiny side cutters rather than cheap wire cutters.

The change for me was big, but I think that'll be the same for anyone using moving to a rebuildable unless it's huge with super easy access screw terminals. For me wicking was probably the hardest part to get right, except for when using the pre-supplied two pieces of shoelace cotton which were quite easy to use.

The "I'm gonna break it, I'm gonna break it" feeling was strong when I started out though.

The wet shaving/straight razor comparison is definitely a good one (in my head) things get a bit more difficult to do, but it's something that you get used to doing quickly.

I would say that using a mod with an RBA is like learning wet shaving. Buying a mech mod is like straight razor shaving (with a pre-sharpened razor) and building a mech is like straight razor shaving. Though I've never used mech mods the amount of knowledge and skill seems about right.

That being said I had a feeling of imminent disaster when setting up my RTA. It went okay for me, but some people with less patience than me might find it to be irritating or daunting.
Thanks for all the DIY info! I like your analogy to shaving methods. Depending on a person’s goals, we have different options, some more effective than others. But having control means paying the small price of attention to detail and a little skill/patience. Ultimately, the maintenance aspect somehow becomes a zen-like ritual rather than a burden. I totally get it! And I see it in my future 👀 💨

Thanks for all the DIY info! I like your analogy to shaving methods. Depending on a person’s goals, we have different options, some more effective than others. But having control means paying the small price of attention to detail and a little skill/patience. Ultimately, the maintenance aspect somehow becomes a zen-like ritual rather than a burden. I totally get it! And I see it in my future 👀 💨
No problem. As you'll probably spend most on a mod and batteries even getting a cheap dripper might be a good way to get started in the RBA game.
I can only speak for the Zeus X but once you get used to setting it up it's easy enough. Drippers however are a little bigger and easier to work with usually. They're also usually a bit cheaper than an RTA as they've less parts.

Though if you have some patience you shouldn't have an issue with the Zeus X, but if you want something easier that is rebuildable someone else will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Edit: One thing about the Zeus X is that it takes the airflow in from the top rather than the bottom then uses channels to move the airflow over the wicks.
Some RTAs are bottom airflow and all (or at least almost all) RDAs are bottom airflow. Apparently bottom airflow has a better flavour, but bottom airflow mods are much more likely (so I've heard) to leak if turned upside down or if the wicks are slightly too short. If you mess up the wicks they may leak out the intake ports. If you hold them upside down they may leak. I've never had my Zeus X leak (significantly, no more than a super small drop when intentionally placing it upside down) and the same is true for most top airflow vapes, again so I've heard. If you want something that has a lower cost and you won't take outside in your pocket a bottom airflow RBA (probably an RDA) may be better all around. If you want something that is similar to the coil changing vapes you want to use top airflow means you can just toss it in a pocket and not worry about leaks.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Similar to how sound engineers prefer studio monitors without enhancement, delivering a flat frequency response, I’m looking to build a mod that has the power to deliver enough vapor to taste the intricacies of flavor profiles in juice, but not so hot that flavors might be muted.

The mod is the part that holds the battery. It simply supplies the power to the RDA/RDTA/RBA/RSA (atomizer). Sure the power plays a part in how juice is vaporized. Afaik though your flavoring concerns will be with the atomizer.

As already suggested, something you can rebuild on your own. Also suggested an 810 wide bore drip tip. Single coil atomizers do well for me. Look for something having a reduced chamber. 22 mm diameter RDA are pretty nice but a 24 mm one can be okay too. Yes, I do sometimes use a bit of flavor despite mainly using unflavored.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
At this point in time, I would not suggest to anyone that they make a big investment in sub-ohm tanks, because it's so much harder to order vape supplies these days. If you're self-sufficient in the e-liquid arena, sooner or later you'll want to be self-sufficient in the coils arena too. Might as well be now. lol Do note that people seem to have a bit more trouble building and wicking RTAs than they do RDAs, and really, in comparison, it's super-simple to build an RDA. You probably should start there. A Dead Rabbit SQ (22mm) is a good starter RDA

Much agree with this as well. Going the route of using a RDTA/RDA that uses already made coil/s / coil assemblies here on in is not a good idea. Also agree it is easier to build for RDA over RDTA(RTA). Dead Rabbit SQ is a good RDA even if not used to squonk.

lak611

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd recommend an RDA, rather than an RTA, for convenience as well as for flavour. I'd also recommend both a regular mod and a squonk mod.

Most RDA's come with a squonk pin in addition to the regular 510 pin. The RDA is easier to build on than the RTA, and is less messy and fiddly. I had issues with the glass coming off my RTA in my pocket or bag. So I'd have a tank full of juice everywhere. The squonk mods usually have big bottles that will last the entire time in out, so I don't have to take any extra juice with me.

If I'm at home, then I'll just use an RDA as a regular dripper with the 510 pin on a regular dual 18650 mod. I have a battery charger for up to four batteries and several battery cases to hold charged batteries safely, both for storage and for carrying spares on the go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DIYMixer

Member For 1 Year
Awesome! Thank you all!! I’ve got a nice blueprint now for expanding into builds. I’m waiting on my first RDL pod-mod which I ordered from Sourcemore. I put in a similar code (SPRING15 instead of SPRING5) and got 15% off. Maybe I should’ve tried SPRING50 🤔 😆 Seriously though, I’m grateful for all this ☝️ super knowledgeable info customized to help my specific situation 🙏 MUCH appreciated.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I’m waiting on my first RDL pod-mod which I ordered from Sourcemore.

If pods are what you want to do, great and more power to you. Will suggest considering a mod & RDA kit. Again though, full up to your own choice. I've just never had any desire for the stylish or trendy pod mods.

DIYMixer

Member For 1 Year
If pods are what you want to do, great and more power to you. Will suggest considering a mod & RDA kit. Again though, full up to your own choice. I've just never had any desire for the stylish or trendy pod mods.
Ultimately, I plan on working my way to a mod/rda and possibly squonk mods as @lak611 suggested. I purchased the 40 watt pod-mod as a transitional device to bridge the gap from 50mg nic salts MTL to a lower mg freebase with a restricted DTL. I’m taking some of the above advice not to get too advanced too quickly. Not that it’s a bad idea or outside of my capability. I’m just pacing myself and taking it all in.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
He is just now transitioning from small autodraw pods... one step at a time. I'm sure (in time) he will be interested in building. To really jump into that, you need a mod with removable batteries, a charger, wire and cotton (and a few simple tools, ect) quite a big jump. I was one of the people that suggested easing into that (and when the time comes, will be one of the people saying "go for it")

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I’m taking some of the above advice not to get too advanced too quickly. Not that it’s a bad idea or outside of my capability. I’m just pacing myself and taking it all in.
He is just now transitioning from small autodraw pods... one step at a time. I'm sure (in time) he will be interested in building. To really jump into that, you need a mod with removable batteries, a charger, wire and cotton (and a few simple tools, ect) quite a big jump.

Apologies, will go lie in my grave and in doing so can stop thinking. Seems me and thinking sum up to trouble, always. So yeah frack it, may as well cease.

I was not, am not being condescending of anyone taking time to learn. Surely, I myself understand learning can be difficult for various subjects. Everyone seems to easily learn to drive. At fifty years old I've yet to learn that.

Consider that I was likely expressing cognitive bias in thinking "if I couldf learn and attain doing mods, rebuilding, ... anyone can and just as easily". So yes, my thinking yet again lent itself to causing trouble. Should have further thought about how expressing that might seem & and not too. Yee ha, will get of my skull someday, or not.

Sometimes one simply needs to do. In the doing you learn the how, why.

An example I'm drawn to for illustrating that is a hill I learned trimming up. The hill is roughly an 80 to 85 degree slope in places. There are footholds but these change every year it seems. You can think all day how your going to trod up the hill and back down safely.

You can also do what my wife's grandfather did. Close your eyes and quit looking at the hill, let your thinking go, go forward and just climb the hill, come back down. You'll learn in the doing how and why you step here or there, how to let yourself feel drunk in order to forget to think about how a wrong step could get you hurt.

There's also my own grandfather's example. He literally learned to swim by falling off a log. There was no one around and he faced the literal sink or swim scenario. He taught himself to swim by swimming into the river bank, to save himself. He had no time to think about it, he just did. The doing taught him.

Then other times even with examples and a need it is difficult if nigh impossible to learn. Yep, ought not think here.

Last edited:

DIYMixer

Member For 1 Year
Apologies, will go lie in my grave and in doing so can stop thinking. Seems me and thinking sum up to trouble, always. So yeah frack it, may as well cease.

I was not, am not being condescending of anyone taking time to learn. Surely, I myself understand learning can be difficult for various subjects. Everyone seems to easily learn to drive. At fifty years old I've yet to learn that.

Consider that I was likely expressing cognitive bias in thinking "if I couldf learn and attain doing mods, rebuilding, ... anyone can and just as easily". So yes, my thinking yet again lent itself to causing trouble. Should have further thought about how expressing that might seem & and not too. Yee ha, will get of my skull someday, or not.

Sometimes one simply needs to do. In the doing you learn the how, why.

An example I'm drawn to for illustrating that is a hill I learned trimming up. The hill is roughly an 80 to 85 degree slope in places. There are footholds but these change every year it seems. You can think all day how your going to trod up the hill and back down safely.

You can also do what my wife's grandfather did. Close your eyes and quit looking at the hill, let your thinking go, go forward and just climb the hill, come back down. You'll learn in the doing how and why you step here or there, how to let yourself feel drunk in order to forget to think about how a wrong step could get you hurt.

There's also my own grandfather's example. He literally learned to swim by falling off a log. There was no one around and he faced the literal sink or swim scenario. He taught himself to swim by swimming into the river bank, to save himself. He had no time to think about it, he just did. The doing taught him.

Then other times even with examples and a need it is difficult if nigh impossible to learn. Yep, ought not think here.
I didn’t mean to come off negative in my above posts. I think all the information you and others have shared about building is great! That’s why I was specifying that I plan to eventually build, so you all knew that the info you’ve shared isn’t falling on deaf ears. I’m looking forward to learning more from you as I grow! 🤘💨

I didn’t mean to come off negative in my above posts. I think all the information you and others have shared about building is great! That’s why I was specifying that I plan to eventually build, so you all knew that the info you’ve shared isn’t falling on deaf ears. I’m looking forward to learning more from you as I grow! 🤘💨
Don't dwell on it too much. Building really depends on how technically minded you are. Also if you're able to work with small things with a small level of precision.

As I said I went straight from a vape pen with replaceable coils to an RTA. It's not impossible though I can understand wanting to not jump right in.

When I first got my RTA the immediate thing I realized is that the screws and posts are small the pictures are taken using a macro lens and everything looks huge. Even most YT videos gloss over how tiny the posts are. They look to be bigger in drippers however, which makes sense as there's no tank to take up space.

Going from something prebuilt to something you build yourself is always going to be a jump. There's a big difference between threading a 510 screw into a mod to wrapping coils and then screwing them into terminal posts. As I think I've already said going for pre-wound coils is probably your best bet for when you do decide to go for an RBA, if it comes with shoelace cotton that'll make things easier. After that you can either get cotton bacon (which I don't really like) or Muji pads. Cotton bacon requires less prep as you just need to tear some off and clip it so a pack of that might be helpful. Once you've gotten used to wicking coils then building them can be your next goal.

I've not gotten to building my own coils yet, though it's next on the list.

VU Sponsors