Become a Patron!

Aegis X shutting off

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So, everyone here knows I’m an Aegis fan, but now I’ve come across my first problem ever with my GeekVape baby.

So I fully charge every night and never let the battery go below three bars.

Lately, I’ll be vaping and out of nowhere I’ll go to take a hit and it’s shut off. I turn it back on, vape and I’ll be good. It’s random.

Any idea on what I should do

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So, everyone here knows I’m an Aegis fan, but now I’ve come across my first problem ever with my GeekVape baby.

So I fully charge every night and never let the battery go below three bars.

Lately, I’ll be vaping and out of nowhere I’ll go to take a hit and it’s shut off. I turn it back on, vape and I’ll be good. It’s random.

Any idea on what I should do
check the battery contacts...

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Just did. Nothing seems wrong.

please note: I’m a newb when it comes to fixing issues with mods. Never had any issues before

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes e-liquid or other corrosion can inhibit proper contact. A simple drop can make the battery bent enough or the MOD's contact far enough to not connect. Hope I helped. Good Luck my friend~!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Cursory search on Google leads me to ask the following:

What kind of batteries are you using, are they married and charging/discharging at the same rate, and how old are they?
Is your battery door properly shut? Does it appear to be snug and properly seated?
What wattage do you have the mod set to? What is the resistance of the coil you are using?

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The batteries I’ve had since New Years. Was a late Christmas present. I vape at 60watts. I can’t remember the coil but I believe it goes up to 85. I took everything apart and cleaned everything hoping it’s just from some dust, juice, or whatever.

Im going to keep searching and asking here until it goes a few days without doing it

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Find the auto battery balance setting, and whatever it's set to, set it the other way and see what it does.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lemme make sure I got this.

You pick it up and it's off, but clicking the fire 5 button times starts it back up? Every time?

Think the Topside Lite uses three clicks. It needed to be different from the Smok Tech and industry standard of five clicks. Why? I reckon simply to fool with the mind I don't have.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What I'm trying to determine is exactly what it does and if it does it the exact same way every single time.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What I'm trying to determine is exactly what it does and if it does it the exact same way every single time.

What I am trying to figure out is where the talk of clicks came from. All I see is that Amber turns it on?? I had plenty of coffee already so that isn't it~!

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
It takes five clicks to turn on and off. Now, I vape like a “chain smoker” but I don’t vape quick enough to have five clicks turn off. I’ll be just walking or doing something, take a couple hits, set it down and when I go to hit it again, it’s off.

I checked my batteries and the door and the connectors and cleaned everything real good. So I don’t think that’s causing the problem. It hasn’t happened yesterday or today... so it could’ve just been the battery compartment, but I’m giving it a few more days, maybe even a week to see if it happens again.

I really don’t know what to do lol.

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I should mention this is the one mod I’ve never dropped. It’s my baby lol

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If by chance a battery is slightly dented or compressed a little it might be disconnecting when you set it down. Try to shake it and see if it shuts off maybe?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If by chance a battery is slightly dented or compressed a little it might be disconnecting when you set it down. Try to shake it and see if it shuts off maybe?
That's where I was going next. Is it a mechanical issue, with the physical mod itself, or an electronic issue with the circuit? If it does the exact same thing every single time, it's more likely electronic. Jostling it, or giving it a bump won't make any difference if it's in the board somewhere.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I checked my batteries and the door and the connectors and cleaned everything real good.
Unless they were REALLY dirty, I'm inclined against dirty contacts being the issue. However, how well they make contact could be it. If the contacts in the door are not pressing hard enough against the batteries. Possibly.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Unless they were REALLY dirty, I'm inclined against dirty contacts being the issue.

I once had a MOD not turn on and looking at the contacts deep in the battery slot it looked perfectly clean but when I used a q-Tip and alcohol it fired right up and never gave me a problem again.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I once had a MOD not turn on and looking at the contacts deep in the battery slot it looked perfectly clean but when I used a q-Tip and alcohol it fired right up and never gave me a problem again.
Something substantial enough to prevent contact, but not substantial enough to be visible is highly unusual, but I'm certainly not in a position to tell you it didn't happen Steve. In any case, it's a trivial matter to clean the contacts and find out. :)

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have batteries with a slightly dented positive contact do that....
Yes, I had this with my my niece's Mag. Once the clasp that held the sled in wore out, she kept slamming it up into the mod and dented the battery contacts. They didn't work after that. That is easy to spot though.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, I had this with my my niece's Mag. Once the clasp that held the sled in wore out, she kept slamming it up into the mod and dented the battery contacts. They didn't work after that. That is easy to spot though.

But also all batteries are not created equal. They vary in height slightly and if you are like me I an gentle with my mods and sometimes put them on the table with a slight thud. I noticed with a detonator that the display would cut off and the entry screen cycled. Same as if you changed the battery.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But also all batteries are not created equal. They vary in height slightly and if you are like me I an gentle with my mods and sometimes put them on the table with a slight thud. I noticed with a detonator that the display would cut off and the entry screen cycled. Same as if you changed the battery.
That's true, but then it would depend on how it was handled, which is why I asked if it did it exactly the same way every time. I'm just working probabilities. If it were a mechanical issue then it should be inconsistent and depend on how it was handled last before using it. Also yes, jiggling it might make it work if that were the case.

An electronic issue would have nothing to do with how the mod was handled. It would just do the same thing every time. In that case it could be a list of things too, but at least narrowing the possibilities between mechanical and electronic would get us pointed down the right fork in this road.

Long distance troubleshooting is rarely a blast.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought about the door too, but the Aegis doors are perty dern stout. I suspect that pushing it hard enough to make a difference might also be hard enough to damage the seal, which I don't think most average people are strong enough to do with their bare hands/fingers anyway.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Something substantial enough to prevent contact, but not substantial enough to be visible is highly unusual, but I'm certainly not in a position to tell you it didn't happen Steve. In any case, it's a trivial matter to clean the contacts and find out. :)

Unusual but shit happens and it happened to me when I was first getting a MOD Collection so it is something I will never forget. Could not see why but damned if it wasn't e-Liquid causing it. I forgot to mention I had a major leak just prior to this issue.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unusual but shit happens and it happened to me when I was first getting a MOD Collection so it is something I will never forget. Could not see why but damned if it wasn't e-Liquid causing it. I forgot to mention I had a major leak just prior to this issue.
That makes more sense for sure. Some liquid can sit on battery contacts and be pretty much invisible. Can even be a color similar to the contacts. I was thinking more of dried accumulated gunk.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That makes more sense for sure. Some liquid can sit on battery contacts and be pretty much invisible. Can even be a color similar to the contacts. I was thinking more of dried accumulated gunk.

Think of the Viscosity of VG. Before I spilled a bit filling a 500 ML bottle and damn it felt like 90W Gear lube when I was trying to wash it off to mix some LB Tobacco.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's true, but then it would depend on how it was handled, which is why I asked if it did it exactly the same way every time. I'm just working probabilities. If it were a mechanical issue then it should be inconsistent and depend on how it was handled last before using it. Also yes, jiggling it might make it work if that were the case.

An electronic issue would have nothing to do with how the mod was handled. It would just do the same thing every time. In that case it could be a list of things too, but at least narrowing the possibilities between mechanical and electronic would get us pointed down the right fork in this road.

Long distance troubleshooting is rarely a blast.

Totally in agreement with you...If it only happens when it is put down on a hard surface then it sounds as if a battery bounce due to a springy contact.
@Amber Petti , does this only happen when you put the mod down.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Just chain vape all day, never putting it down giving it the chance to turn off. Problem solved. Lmao

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally in agreement with you...If it only happens when it is put down on a hard surface then it sounds as if a battery bounce due to a springy contact.
@Amber Petti , does this only happen when you put the mod down.
Right. Or bumped in some other way etc.

@Amber Petti
If it keeps it up, try this too. Hold the mod next your ear and shake it, using very short hard top to bottom shakes and listen for ANY battery rattle at all. Actually ANY noise at all. There shouldn't be any side to side battery rattle in an Aegis mod. Assuming it's like the legend, the battery compartment is very snug.

I'm thinking probably not, but IF you hear even the tiniest little tick in there, it could be a huge clue.

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
i think I'm gonna get ahold of Geekvape and tell them to make an Aegis mech tube. They can name it the "Amber." She'll never have these problems again. :rolleyes:
LMAO!

Well, when I cleaned the battery compartment, barely anything came off... but it hasn’t shut off on me yet. It’s late right now and I’m out of juice for it (my mods and tanks all have certain juices I strictly put in them) but I’m making more juice today and will continue on.

I’ll check in the morning if I hear any noise by shaking it and get back to you guys.

I’m more annoyed than anything. It’s an expensive mod and with all the “shock proof, dust proof” blah blah blah, you’d think it’d be able to withstand a war zone.

Ive had it since New Years and never had any issues with it, so I’ll keep trying things out

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So it’s been awhile. Hasn’t shut off on me. So it must’ve just been the battery compartment... which like I said had nothing come off when I cleaned it and the batteries are fine :confused:

not sure if it is too late. but the aegis x does have an issue sometimes showing the battery levels strangely and shutting off when pushing the fire. i have fixed 6 different ones by putting a knife under the grounding tab of the battery door and bending just a little. this is so the tab has better contact with the grounding spring pin that you can see when looking and the battery compartment between the battery holes

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
not sure if it is too late. but the aegis x does have an issue sometimes showing the battery levels strangely and shutting off when pushing the fire. i have fixed 6 different ones by putting a knife under the grounding tab of the battery door and bending just a little. this is so the tab has better contact with the grounding spring pin that you can see when looking and the battery compartment between the battery holes

Yes is it too late........................... RIP Amber 😢

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Ok a bit later... take a small flat precision screw driver and VERY very gently, pry both ends of the batter sled on the bottom door up just a tiny bit at a time. Not sure if that is single or dual cell mod, single cell would only have 1 contact, dual would have 2.
also there should be a small pin that contacts a tab on the side of the battery plate. push that in and out slightly and pry up the tab it connects to very gently. you only need to raise it a tiny amount.
Sometimes, the batteries get dented or contacts get wonky from just opening and closing the battery door.

Ok a bit later... take a small flat precision screw driver and VERY very gently, pry both ends of the batter sled on the bottom door up just a tiny bit at a time. Not sure if that is single or dual cell mod, single cell would only have 1 contact, dual would have 2.
also there should be a small pin that contacts a tab on the side of the battery plate. push that in and out slightly and pry up the tab it connects to very gently. you only need to raise it a tiny amount.
Sometimes, the batteries get dented or contacts get wonky from just opening and closing the battery door.

Also late here but I wanted to say this fixed my issue. I had been experiencing it on/off for a while with the same mod as OP. But not enough to be annoying. Today I got a new set of batteries that just went off if I even moved my mod too fast which of course is how I realized there was, in fact, an issue and it wasn't simply me just clicking too fast.

I tested it by shaking it with all my sets of batteries in there and the only ones that really did it were my new ones. There was a little rattle with each set though.

As gbalkam said, I got a very small screwdriver and VERY gently lifted up, ever so slightly, on each end. Now, there is no rattle nor is my mod shutting down... though I do suspect it'll be an ongoing thing I'll have to do a few times a year.

VU Sponsors