Become a Patron!

Airflow path of travel

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've heard this anecdotally kicked around, but cannot for the life of me establish a rational for why this is or even if it's true. The idea that the less distance air has to travel before hitting the coils is proportional to flavor experience. By this it would mean that any device with a condensation trap is at a disadvantage. I totally understand and have experienced the relationship of the vapor's path of travel on flavor, but intake? The problem is comparing tanks on this one. The closest I've got are my Billow Nano V2 and my Goblin Mini V2. Goblin has a very simple direct to coil air flow and the Billow has a condensation trap. The Goblin does slightly inch ahead of the Billow in flavor, but if you look close the chimney is ever so slightly shorter and a narrower bore....Can someone explain if they think they have a rationale.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone has there own theory and opinion. Here's mine.... Flavor, is about the ratio of vaporized juice to air in the stream of "vapor" in the flow resulting from sucking on the drip tip. Placement of the coil in relation to that stream does affect the vaporization process, therefore must also affect flavor.

I do think the length of the air path has affect on flavor. I would also lean toward a longer path resulting in Better flavor. I use Kayfuns, a Sat22 and a Chalice 3. All three have pretty much the same chamber size, all are single coil. Main difference, as used, is the length of the air path. I can't really say which gives the most or best flavor, but I will say the Kayfun with it longer more restrictive path does give the smoothest and most depth of flavors. Sometime even going to a longer/shorter drip tip can affect flavor.

SteamBlower

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Airflow affect flavour, the coils placement in the airflow, distance between airhole and coil, affect flavour. I can also see that the lenght and width of the chimney and drip tip affect flavor. What I fail to see is how the distance the air have to travel before it gets to the chamber can have an impact.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What I fail to see is how the distance the air have to travel before it gets to the chamber can have an impact.

I think the distance before the coil affects the HIT, or smoothness/airiness of it. It affect how the air hits the coil. Kinda the difference between water coming directly from a valve spigot vs from the end of a hose.

cloudsbroclouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
too bad no one has put an rda through a flow chamber. just to check out laminar flow. i dont have the right resources. someone else step up!

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whoa! Just did a search as to what laminar flow is... Interesting. Not sure what effects that would have. More direct airflow?

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Basically, you want as much of the air to go through the coil,not around. When you have air going around the coil, you not only dilute the vapor, you also lose some of vapor produced from the coil.

On the flip side, if you don't have enough room between your coil and airflow, you will choke the flow causing loss of vapor and weird tastes.

If you think of it like a dam. The water is is the airflow and the dam the coil. Too much water, it goes over and through the dam. Too little water (not enough airflow/distance between coil and airflow) and not much production on the other side of the dam. Just perfect, plenty of water coming into and outta the dam.

As far as after that, the less obstructions from the coil to your mouth, the less the Vapor loses flavor. The reason most tops have a dome top is to create a spiral effect and making a smooth path to the chimney. That's why you don't see many square or triangle caps

With splashguards, they just obstruct the path and thus cause a loss of Flavor.

Hope this helps. I'm a visual person, so trying to write out the crazy sh!t in my head doesn't always come out right.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been hunting for a new tank and when I saw the air inlet set-up of this Adveken Tank I imediatly thought of this thread. Isn't this the basic idea of how to increase Laminar Flow?
image.jpeg

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think we are looking at air flow re vaping wrong. Many are seeing the air as the carrier and prodcer of the vapor. And want placements so that the only thing in the path is the coil. Fine. But I see the Atomiser more like the carburetor from a car. It mixes the air and juice to produce a result. As with cars you might set up for a rich or lean mixture.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From what I gather Laminar Flow is the fluid (air/water) equivalent of a laser. Creating a series or set of chanels that reduces turbulance and coordinates all of the fluid's movement, parallel and in one direction.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have the Nautilus X heading to me in Vape Mail right now so I will see if the new U-Tech coils make a difference. That is a longer path of air travel.

VU Sponsors