All the Nerdy Franchises Henry Cavill Wants to Be a Part of

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
As we've all come to learn by now, Henry Cavill is a huge geek. A huge geek who reloads his immense biceps like a shotgun, but a geek nonetheless. His most recent role puts him back in the boots of Geralt of Rivia, the legendary monster slayer in The Witcher Season 2 on Netflix. Over the past couple years, as Cavill has been interviewed endlessly about his work and home life, he's made it known that he loves fantasy worlds, both in video game and tabletop form.

So we thought we'd round up every franchise that Henry Cavill has said he'd like to be a part of, if only to satiate our own curiosity of what Cavill might look like dressed as a Warhammer elf or a Mass Effect Turian.

Mass Effect

No surprise, Henry Cavill loves sci-fi games, too. In early December 2021, Cavill told GamesRadar that he would "love to have a conversation" about the potential Mass Effect series coming from Amazon.

"Very much so, yeah, all depending on how they’re executing it," Cavill said when asked about his interest in the series. "The world of adaptation can be heavy or light. When I like a product, I prefer the adaptation to be less changed from the source, so it all depends."

Of course, an obvious role for Cavill might be Mass Effect's very own Commander Shepard, but he could also be more than suitable for the Turian assassin/drinking buddy/best boy Garrus Vakarian.

The good news is that Cavill might have already teased something related to Mass Effect, sharing an image on Instagram that was later determined to show text from a Mass Effect wiki page.

Red Dead Redemption

Cowboys wouldn't be too far a stretch for Cavill either. Speaking to GameReactor, Cavill mentioned that he thought Red Dead Redemption would make for a solid adaptation.

"Well, that's a tricky one, 'cause you're tying both an IP and a company together, which is a tricky thing to do, so I certainly don't want to put myself in any corners with that, but there are plenty of games out there... I've actually started playing Red Dead Redemption 2—I know I'm a little bit late to that party—but I started playing it and I'm really enjoying it. And so, something like that I think would be fun to turn into a movie."

We certainly know that the normally fresh faced Cavill can pull off a grizzled, world-weary look thanks to his work as Geralt, so an equally grizzled cowboy seems possible.

Warhammer

Out of all of Henry Cavill's nerdy interests, Warhammer 40,000 might be his most passionate. The tabletop wargaming franchise has consumed many a hobby shop (when Friday Night Magic isn't busy taking tables) thanks to an iconic cast of Space Marines, Chaos daemon gods, or screaming orks.

Cavill has previously professed his love for Games Workshop, the company behind Warhammer and its countless licensed video games and books, as well as the Warhammer: Age of Sigmar game. He even paints Warhammer miniatures (including the helmeted Adeptus Custodes faction), having gotten back into the hobby during the 2020 lockdown after some time away from it.

While promoting The Witcher season 2, Cavill told IGN, "There are a lot of characters from the Warhammer universe that I want to be. But I can only really be one, because once I'm one, then I can't be others. So if it were to ever happen, if there were to be anything live action, I would have to be very aware of that.

"[Warhammer] is obviously character rich, and especially the 40K universe,” he continued. “I suppose I could play a different character from the Warhammer Fantasy universe versus the 40K universe, but I'm now just dreaming. I'd have to speak to the guys at Games Workshop and see what happens."

When suggested that he might make a good Gregor Eisenhorn, a character from Dan Abnett's popular series of Warhammer 40,000 novels who serves as an Inquisitor for the Imperium of Man, Cavill's interest seemed cautiously piqued.

"That would be exciting, yes, but then I burn Primarchs, and the Captain-Generals, so I don't really know," he said.

Other characters that Cavill could theoretically play include Horus Lupercal, the traitorous Primarch whose campaign against the Emperor of Mankind triggered the current state of the 40K universe. He could also play any number of Space Marines, or similarly author Dan Abnett's Imbram Gaunt of "Gaunt's Ghosts," a popular series of novels following the Astra Militarum regiment, which works to free human settlements of Chaos.

Working in his favor, Cavill has already been turned into an easter egg in Total War: Warhammer 3, which includes a sly reference to his portrayal of Geralt of Rivia in The Witcher.

What do you think Henry Cavill should star in? Any geek culture franchises the actor deserves a shot at that we missed? Let us know in the comments, and check out our review of The Witcher Season 2.

Joseph Knoop is a writer/producer/Tau Empire player for IGN. He misses Sly Marbo.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors