Become a Patron!

Alternatives??

Is there any safe wire alternatives for khanthal and nichrome, hat could be found around the house? I have copper wire. Also something that could be bought at princess auto, canadian tire, etc..? I just got my rda and it didn't come with coils when they said it would and I really want to use it. I have cotton just need the coils. Thanks!

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You might find some stainless steel wire at a beading store, if there's one around there. I wouldn't use it if the grade (317, 430, 304, whatever) isn't marked. Nickel and Titanium wires will be hard to find anywhere local except a vape shop. You aren't likely to find anything around the house. Do not use copper wire! Or a paperclip! Most vape shops, if there's one handy, will sell you a short piece of Kanthal cheap.

no12judge

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
anything laying around the house is not safe for vaping.
its too dangerous bcuz you don't know how theyll react to the current being pushed through. they'll probably release toxic fumes. im not a metallurgist but i know different metals/wires contain chemicals that are released when heated. better to err on the side of safety.

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There Kanal or nichrome in most household apliances that get hot. Heaters . Hairdryer ect.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I am under-qualified to make a positive I.D. on what kind of metal a particular strand of wire out of an appliance is. For those that can, you can save several pennies over purchasing a 100' roll of Kanthal for $3.50 by scavenging the local dump. I'll take a pass on that...

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, thats the problem with scavenged wire.. While it may well be safe to vape. Except for size, you don't know what you have.. Sure you can get an educated guess via measuring resistance with an OHM meter, Or wrapping a coil and seeing what you get.
Me, I'd rather pay the $$ and get the mystery wire from fasttech. OR the $1 a foot at the local cigarette store. Not all resistance wire is safe to vape, better safe than sorry.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Buying by the foot from your local B&M is the opposite end of the spectrum, you're going to get hosed doing that. I also don't buy china wire, that could be sourced from one of their nuclear disasters and glow in the dark, might be as big a crapshoot and raiding the junk yard. With a modicum of research on the net you can find USA made wire at very reasonable prices. As I find it hard to resist a smokin' sale, have enough wire of various materials and types (SS, Kanthal, Nichrome, Ti - in round and ribbon) to see me thru to the end.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heat comes from resistance and copper is one of the best conductives out there.
A copper coil wouldn't heat up and would cause a dead short to
any battery (which would heat up).

SS is cheap, widely available, and can be used for both TC and non TC

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think COST is a issue here.. this is about expediency.

If one were to need wire now. Can't leave the house to get it and can't wait for more than SAME day delivery. What could one scavenge to get their vape running. I venture to say the wire in your appliances is vapable.... It will likely be of the lower grades of Kanthal or Nichrome. Will it be safe? Safe, depends on your tolerance for risk and ability to avoid and negate the dangers.

There's nothing SAFE about vaping. There are risks, both known and unknown. It is only safeER than other similar activities, such as smoking.

Heat comes from resistance and copper is one of the best conductives out there.
A copper coil wouldn't heat up and would cause a dead short to
any battery (which would heat up).

SS is cheap, widely available, and can be used for both TC and non TC

Copper, and most metals, have resistance and can be made into a heating coil. It would just be of ULTRA low resistance and our mods don't have enough power to fire it affectively or efficiently. Not to mention the chemical hazards of copper..

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Ahh, I see. Now that I think about it, I guess I could just go without vaping for a couple days in that case.

VU Sponsors