Become a Patron!

And here we go...first "vape related" death

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/health/vaping-death-cdc.html

And this will be the next blast to the vaping industry, yet we don't even know the facts.

I'm surprised to hear there are counterfeit vape products out there though. I hope they don't start naming name brands in their investigations, but I'm guessing after this there will be a lot of analysis of the available products.
The first vape related death occurred last year in Florida when a guy's mech blew up. I'd post my thoughts on that one, but there's really no point, we all know the when mech's go boom it's user error in some way.

In this case they have no clear indication of what caused his lung problems, only that they started when he picked up vaping. It could be literally anything.

I thought this was amusing....apparently they aren't aware that many devices are refillable....

“We believe that they are getting empty cartridges from somewhere and filling them with their own products,”

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They did not provide details about the patient’s identity, saying only that the person was an adult who had vaped recently and then succumbed to a severe respiratory illness.
Health officials did not say what product the patient had used, whether an e-cigarette or other vaping device; nor did they specify what substance was vaped. ...
“More information is needed to know what is causing these illnesses,” said Ileana Arias, an official with the C.D.C., said on Friday.

So the officials & authorities can only suspect & speculate vaping might be involved? That is what it is being read as it is saying from my point of view, am I too far off the mark?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I just wish it would stop..
the whole thing is making me sick to think there are multiple persons involved in shitty mixing bad enough to harm or kill others.
Wish people would research.. damn.. I know this whole "I don't have time to read or search for myself or use my brain is so bad" but this is life..

I guess getting high is more important than to live..

Just go twist one up and be done with it. :bomb::facepalm:o_O

Last edited:
Oh I think I understand now, people are actually refilling cartridges with mixtures and reselling them?

The way they generalize these reports in the media is ridiculous. Everytime I puff now I get nervous that my coil is pumping some kind of microscopic metallic substance into my lungs that's going to kill me as a result of all these stories.

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Oh I think I understand now, people are actually refilling cartridges with mixtures and reselling them?

I hope that's all it is. Everytime I puff now I get nervous that my coil is pumping some kind of microscopic metallic substance into my lungs that's going to kill me as a result of all these stories.

To think your dope man is actually killing you... yeah it's that bad.

However.. it depends on which study you want to lean to as to if vaping (in whole) or your cotton/coils will harm you.. Plenty of info out online to do your own research and draw your own ideas from. You also have to take to par, some studies are paid for by big t and big p others thru various means..

No one can say for sure what we do is safe, or not. You need to realize this. There is so much to research and study, but in the end, it is up to you.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The way they generalize these reports in the media is ridiculous.

Policy exists so that specifically is done for a reason.

Every time I puff now I get nervous

There is your reason and given the governments are using the media in this case, why can we not call it terrorism?

Terrorism {
noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.
}

Terrorism, the systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective. Terrorism has been practiced by political organizations with both rightist and leftist objectives, by nationalistic and religious groups, by revolutionaries, and even by state institutions such as armies, intelligence services, and police.

: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

Many vapers in pursuing vaping realized or had suspicion governments lie, or have lied to their people. In vaping we also discover that governments bow to Capital interests thereby creating de facto fascism and rule by plutocracy. We choose to keep vaping because so far it seems a lot safer than using tobacco. Our continued use of vaping starts taking profit from tobacco, pharmaceuticals, insurance, lawyers.

In a sense vaping upends the "system" by saving consumers money, and giving them a genuine "voice" by the ballot of their dollar. Ballot being a substitute word for bullet when political issues were solved as such. It creates a rather large bullet when vapers stand united, take away 2 or 3 billion out of the profits of those listed. Granted to those listed that 2 or 3 billion is small change ultimately. The point though is it is not going into their pockets, it creates a notice.

Imagine the conversation will you then, "So if one of our own institutions has said, clearly and publicly in the open, that vaping is 98.5 to 99.5 percent safer than using tobacco how do we stop this hemorrhaging revenue loss?"

You can be sure some black clad mod suited ape brilliantly replied, "we make vaping the Bogey Man, make it 'attacking the children', 'causing rampant death from unknown circumstances' and so on, boss."

The thing is pulling the fear card is not working this time. We have come together too well. We have discovered a deeper sense of love, caring for one another. Love creates courage. Courage roars forward like a lion, drawing out the scrambling roaches hiding in the shadows. We keep exposing their lies. We keep watching out for each other.

All they can do really is keep kicking dead horses, pounding their skulls into six foot thick steel reinforced concrete walls. They can not use a military, or directly forceful action against something that would wake the sleeping dog of the whole world, at this time. Think about it, they let companies pollute the earth too. Vaping actually does try to help in cleaning up the earth, or at least limits the further damage we do. Vaping goes across many aspects of society & societies.

We are the genie loosed from the bottle. We do not go back in. We do win. Love wins!

Welcome to the Underground.

By the by, ...

“The first piece, which is the most important, is that which comes within the souls of people when they realize their relationship, their oneness with the Universe and all its powers and when they realize that at the center of the Universe dwells the Great Spirit and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us.” – Black Elk, Oglala Sioux

“Don't be afraid of your fears. They're not there to scare you. They're there to let you know that something is worth it.” ― C. JoyBell C.

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.” ― Mary Anne Radmacher

“Before I knew you, I thought brave was not being afraid. You've taught me that bravery is being terrified and doing it anyway.”
― Laurell K. Hamilton, Blood Noir

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is turning into reefer madness.

"Oh yeah? How'd that work out fer ya?!"

*chuckles* You are on the money. It is propaganda even if there is an actual death which can be proven with evidence linked to vaping. That single death will suddenly appear as millions, it'll be pandemonium, chaos, epidemics! We all must be saved from this scourge of sanity, and tranquil sucking on coffin nails.

"Please oh please think of the children!"

"You are a parent?"

"Yes, yes I am!"

"Fucking parent, then and think of your own children. Let me vape in peace! I'm not your child."

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
"Oh yeah? How'd that work out fer ya?!"

*chuckles* You are on the money. It is propaganda even if there is an actual death which can be proven with evidence linked to vaping. That single death will suddenly appear as millions, it'll be pandemonium, chaos, epidemics! We all must be saved from this scourge of sanity, and tranquil sucking on coffin nails.

"Please oh please think of the dead children!"

"You are a parent?"

"Yes, yes I am!"

"Fucking parent, then and think of your own children. Let me vape in peace! I'm not your child."

Fixed...

I still say do not buy your vapes from the drug dealer.. :)

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I wish I had enough money to make a difference in the world.

Yeah, I get the propaganda thing, and everyone has their best interest and bottom line to protect.

I just know when I take a puff and it tastes strange the thought at least crosses my mind that it's probably not a good thing to be inhaling.

With tobacco it was pretty consistent. With vaping, at least with the pods I've used, it seems different as the coil ages, the way I have the unit in my pocket before I pull it out, the amount of time between puffs. Etc.

Its something I've gotten more adjusted to, staying on top of replacing coils, taking puffs less frequently to allow proper absorption, keeping the tank full. But it certainly does require more attention than cigs obviously. And when you do get a burnt taste because you didn't pay attention to something... what is it that you are tasting? Those are my concerns.

But as has been mentioned we are all adults, and I accept that there isn't a lot known about the long term affects of vaping and there are risks associated. My eyebrows raise when a couple hundred in one month are hospitalized though.

That was before I realized that these cases are likely not from typical use (i.e. counterfeit devices, unknown/tested liquids).

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
This is the kind of shit that happens when people don't want to be responsible for their own lives and prefer to let others make decisions for them. We need to get back to a system of personal accountability so those of us who are willing to accept our own outcomes can live a little.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With vaping, at least with the pods I've used, it seems different as the coil ages, the way I have the unit in my pocket before I pull it out, the amount of time between puffs. Etc.
Its something I've gotten more adjusted to, staying on top of replacing coils, taking puffs less frequently to allow proper absorption, keeping the tank full. But it certainly does require more attention than cigs obviously. And when you do get a burnt taste because you didn't pay attention to something... what is it that you are tasting?

Well, do you know what your coils in your pods use for wicks?

It might be silica you taste if that is the wick material. This can be in Eckowool, or just straight out silica on its own. Could be cotton if that's the material, be sure it is organic & not been processed with bleach. Might be ceramics if the wicking is ceramic ( Ready X wick has ceramics ). Still, it could be rayon a synthetic cotton replacement made like nylon. These are the major forms of popular wick materials. Some use steel cable, quartz crystal, glass cylinders and a host of other stuff.

Most of the popular stuff is "reasonably" safe to use. There's speculation about cotton possibly unbinding from itself and you inhaling cotton fibers. even then that speculation still warrants further study to see if that can actually happen.

Ceramics are alright as most of us in some way owe to being made of clay. You might not want to be locked in a sealed room of clay particulates in the air for extended periods of time. Vaping and possibly inhaling in trace amounts though should not be extremely risky, although there again understand that's up to user preference.

Silica, well you are not supposed to eat silica. Not sure how it goes in the lungs, if it even does.

Rayon, well it binds together better than cotton and so far I've not seen mention of risk factors and it.

But as has been mentioned we are all adults, and I accept that there isn't a lot known about the long term affects of vaping and there are risks associated. My eyebrows raise when a couple hundred in one month are hospitalized though.
That was before I realized that these cases are likely not from typical use (i.e. counterfeit devices, unknown/tested liquids).

It is understandable & reasonable to question regarding vaping. As you mention though there is not a lot of material on long term effects. What is known though is that is a lot safer than tobacco as far as reducing risk and harm are concerned.

I apologize if my "rant" seemed political/militant. I was not quite meaning it as such but then too I think, "damn it we can only have a boot on our throats so long, before we do have a duty to stand up." And no this nor my "rant" was intended as inciting violence, a call to arms, me unleashing a manifesto, me announcing becoming radicalized. It was me doing as most do, "venting" and doing so in a public forum and not calling out a list of names and making threats.

I loathe hate, in any form. It too often leads to violence. I have given up on violence being a solution. Granted I still may say, "I damn well would feel better if I could punch so and so in the face and be done." And yes, there are times I feel that way. Saints are none of us, and would we be the skies full of angels would leave us still in darkness. So, I say it and I'm done. There's a long way from saying a thing to doing a thing.

Im sorry, that wasn't directed at you. I'm just debating both sides. Healthy debate, I am seriously understanding both sides.

"What is known though is that is a lot safer than tobacco as far as reducing risk and harm are concerned."....Those are the pieces that intrigue me though. People vaporizing and inhaling a substance through a metal coil on a regular basis, it's a pretty recent thing, correct?

We don't really know the effects and don't have the decades of research to know what could happen.

Cellular research is one thing, yes, I've seen the Netflix documentary. That looks great. But long term, who knows what we are inhaling.

Im vaping now, I'm not trying to be an asshole, just questioning it all.

Last edited:
This is the kind of shit that happens when people don't want to be responsible for their own lives and prefer to let others make decisions for them. We need to get back to a system of personal accountability so those of us who are willing to accept our own outcomes can live a little.

I long for the day my coffee is dangerous to drink, simply because my caffeine addiction outweighs my concern for my wellbeing.

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but you have to leave the U.S. to get sane reporting:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-49001669

Thanks to Grimm Green

As someone who works closely with denial and acceptance of disability claims in the US I can certainly say that spice is right up on the top of the list of denial for a drug of choice. So if anyone mentions spice in a case that comes through a state or federal approval for disability, please don't think you are getting approved.

I should add synthetics at all. No tolerance rule on the social service level at all. You choose to do unregulated drugs you are on your own for support. It's an easy denial.

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/health/vaping-death-cdc.html

And this will be the next blast to the vaping industry, yet we don't even know the facts.

I'm surprised to hear there are counterfeit vape products out there though. I hope they don't start naming name brands in their investigations, but I'm guessing after this there will be a lot of analysis of the available products.
no alot of people blow their faces off and stuff not the first

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Im vaping now, I'm not trying to be an asshole, just questioning it all.

No, I did not get the "asshole" vibe from your comments. I was also hoping to not convey an "asshole" vibe, either.

Powdered coffee creamer is flammable.

*feigns an innocent face* Oh, that's interesting to know. I will now forget it again.

Makes a decent glue as well.

Why yes, yes, it does at that. Helpful to work up for paper mâché, not quite sure it would suit for plaster of Paris though.

Most curious, I am now of an urge to go look up how to create slime & combine that with other knowledge. Why? Because, science! :)

VU Sponsors