Become a Patron!

Andrew Garfield Found Lying About Spider-Man 'Stressful But Also Weirdly Enjoyable'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Warning: This article contains spoilers for Spider-Man: No Way Home!

Andrew Garfield has revealed that keeping his appearance in Spider-Man: No Way Home cameo a secret was “stressful”, even if it was "weirdly enjoyable".

During an interview with The Wrap, the 38-year-old actor talked about the difficulty of keeping such a huge secret under wraps. “It was stressful, I’m not gonna lie,” he said. “It was rather stressful but also weirdly enjoyable.”

Garfield first suited up as our friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man in 2012, however, he recently returned to the role with a cameo appearance in Spider-Man: No Way Home. Here, he joined current Spider-Man, Tom Holland, alongside another former Spider-Man, Tobey Maguire, for the mother of all superhero team-ups.

But before the film was released, this cool plot twist was kept firmly under wraps… and Garfield was forced to keep it to himself. Thankfully, he found ways to keep it fun.

“It was like this massive game of Werewolf that I was playing with journalists and with people guessing, and it was very fun,” he said. “There were moments where I was like, ‘God, I hate lying.’ I don’t like to lie and I’m not a good liar, but I kept framing it as a game. And I kept imagining myself purely as a fan of that character, which is not hard to do.”

The multiversal Spider-Man team-up was originally supposed to be a post-credit scene before Marvel boss Kevin Feige insisted on making it the focus of the movie. It’s easily one of the more fan-pleasing moments in comic book movie history, and that’s what kept Garfield from spilling all.

“I placed myself in that position of, Well, what would I want to know?” he said. “Would I want to be toyed with? Would I want to be lied to? Would I want to be kept on my toes guessing? Would I want to discover it when I went to the theater? Would I want to be guessing, guessing, guessing?”

“I would want the actor to do an incredibly good job at convincing me he wasn’t in it,” he added. “And then I would want to lose my mind in the theater when my instinct was proven right. That’s what I would want.”

After appearing in No Way Home, Garfield admitted that he would play Spider-Man again. There was even a fan campaign that caused #MakeTASM3 (or ‘Make The Amazing Spider-Man 3’) to trend. But with Spider-Man: No Way Home becoming Sony’s highest-grossing film of all time, there could be a lot of very good reasons to bring Garfield’s version of Peter Parker back to the big screen.

Garfield is far from the only major star to lie about their upcoming projects, many of which have been in service of keeping comic book movie plots secret. Check out our list of 11 times actors lied about casting rumours.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors