Andrew Garfield Remembers Not Being 'Handsome Enough' For Narnia Role

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Spider-Man fans agree that Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker is an absolute heartthrob, but the actor has revealed not everyone has always been impressed with his looks. Specifically, Garfield says his appearance kept him from getting the role of Prince Caspian in the Chronicles of Narnia movies.

Speaking to Variety, the actor said he was desperate to join the Narnia franchise when he was just getting his start.

“I remember I was so desperate. I auditioned for Prince Caspian in ‘The Chronicles of Narnia’ and I thought, ‘This could be it, this could be it,'” Garfield said. “And that handsome, brilliant actor Ben Barnes ended up getting the role. I think it was down to me and him, and I remember I was obsessed.”

Garfield said he pestered his agent after getting turned down for the role to find out why, leading to his agent telling him, "It’s because they don’t think you’re handsome enough, Andrew.”

Fortunately, it doesn't seem Garfield holds any ill will towards Barnes for apparently being more handsome than him, as Garfield said, "Ben Barnes is a very handsome, talented man. So in retrospect, I’m not unhappy with the decision and I think he did a beautiful job.”

And, we all know things worked out for Garfield pretty well in the end. After failing to get the part for 2008's The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, Garfield would go on to gain some traction in 2010's The Social Network, before getting his big break as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in 2012's The Amazing Spider-Man.

Coincidentally Barnes also landed in the Marvel universe by appearing in Netflix's The Punisher series. Whether that series is canon though is anyone's guess.

As for Garfield, over a decade later, the actor has been in the news more than ever. The actor is now talking about how he found lying to fans about his recent roles "stressful but also weirdly enjoyable". Garfield also just won a Golden Globe for his performance in Tick, Tick... Boom! Now, you probably won't find anyone telling him he's not handsome enough for any part out there.

Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN. You can find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors