Andrew Garfield Would Return to Play Spider-Man Again 'If It Felt Right'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Warning: This article contains spoilers for Spider-Man: No Way Home!

After appearing in Spider-Man: No Way Home, it looks as though Andrew Garfield would return to the role of Spider-Man once more, but only "if it felt right".

During an interview with Variety, the 38-year-old former Spider-Man revealed that he would consider returning to the iconic Marvel role under the right circumstances.

“I mean, yes, definitely open to something if it felt right,” he said. “Peter and Spider-Man, those characters are all about service, to the greater good and the many. He’s a working-class boy from Queens that knows struggle and loss and is deeply empathetic. I would try to borrow Peter Parker’s ethical framework in that, if there was an opportunity to step back in and tell more of that story, I would have to feel very sure and certain in myself.”

Andrew Garfield first suited up as our friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man back in 2012, with his most recent stint as a cameo appearance in Spider-Man: No Way Home. Now, after finally getting what they wanted in No Way Home, fans want to see even more of his webslinger back on the big screen.

Recently, the hashtag #MakeTASM3 (as in, 'Make The Amazing Spider-Man 3') began trending on Twitter, with fans eager to see Garfield finish off his own Spider-Man trilogy. But with the multi-dimensional crossover in No Way Home originally planned as a post-credit scene, would Marvel be interested in putting resources into a franchise that has long been killed off? Of course, Sony has its own, somewhat separate universe of Spider-Man villains, so there's always a chance of a Garfield Spidey appearing there.

Whether he returns again or not, Garfield seems thrilled that he was able to return to play the character at all in the era of the MCU.

"I am so grateful," he told Variety. "I’m just really, really grateful that I got to tie up some loose ends for the Peter that I was playing. I love that character and I’m grateful that I got to work with these incredible actors, this incredible director, and Marvel in conjunction with Sony. It was joyful, and a feeling of closure for me. There was so many unanswered questions for my Peter, where we left it. I got to step back in and get some healing for him. And also really supporting [Holland’s] Peter, and honoring his character completing that trilogy, not distracting or detracting from it."

It’s no secret that Spider-Man: No Way Home is now Sony’s highest-grossing film of all time, having scored a massive $257 million opening weekend. It’s these kinds of numbers that may well convince Marvel and Sony that additional Spider-Man movies have legs. Whether or not that means Andrew Garfield will return, however, remains to be seen.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors