Become a Patron!

Another Istick, and an opportunity!

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Done. Sensationalizing an unfortunate, isolated incident due to unattended charging is irresponsible. Let's bury their little poll in NO votes. :mad:

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Voted no of course. Feel bad for the guy. Unfortunately, just more ammo for the other side...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
So did he put the mod on his face while charging it?
Why would you leave anything charging that close to your face overnight with your entire family in bed next to it?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So did he put the mod on his face while charging it?
Why would you leave anything charging that close to your face overnight with your entire family in bed next to it?
Why do people shoot themselves when cleaning their guns? A: Stupidity.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I added this post to my "Jan 2016 Explodathon" series.
This is the 5th one so far this month.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Why do people shoot themselves when cleaning their guns? A: Stupidity.

B) it's a common lie when "failed suicide attempt" would land you in the local nut house for a month.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Within one meter of me while I sleep. A Li powered tablet. 2 Li powered cell phones. a laptop with 8 18650s in its batt pack ,my work laptop, a 18650 charger, 2 mods, a portable radio in its charger, a flashlight in its charger, and a wolf that sometimes has gas if she has had too much people food, and some other items that are known to be inherantly dangerous.

My bluetooth earpiece has a Li batt, and so does my smart watch.

I'm still here.

Its not too much to ask to not have a mod explode and burn.

If failsafe design is impracticle, it should at least fail soft.

We can do better.

Most of the devices mentioned above are mass produced in China, and there is no reasonable expectation that they should boom & burn.

Appoligizing for, accepting as normal, and blameing the victim, gives the manufactures no incentive to incorporate safety into their design.

They have no motivation to do so. The factorys producing the Istick couldn't care less if vaping is banned with "safety" being cited as the justification. They will switch to designing and manufacturing childrens toys instead.

There is going to come a time, where rightly or wrongly, Ecig safety is going to be made an issue by our enemys.

It would be nice to be able to say that we as a community are addressing the issue with the companys, instead of pointing the finger at and blameing the burned baby who should have picked smarter parents who never took up smoking, hence vaping.

I don't have a dedicated concrete fireproof vault for charging my shit .

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Within one meter of me while I sleep. A Li powered tablet. 2 Li powered cell phones. a laptop with 8 18650s in its batt pack ,my work laptop, a 18650 charger, 2 mods, a portable radio in its charger, a flashlight in its charger, and a wolf that sometimes has gas if she has had too much people food, and some other items that are known to be inherantly dangerous.

I'm still here.

Its not too much to ask to not have a mod explode and burn.

If failsafe design is impracticle, it should at least fail soft.

I don't have a dedicated concrete fireproof vault for charging my shit .

I'm surrounded by batteries and electronics while i sleep too.

Then again, I've never owned an istick and never will.
I don't care if they start selling an istick 150 for $19.99 I sill wouldn't buy one.

I don't understand why a usb charging mod would allow more power to go to it than is what is recommended by the manufacturer.
How much would it cost to make a mod only accept a 5 volt 1 amp charge max no matter what you plug in to it?

I bet it wouldn't even cost a dollar.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Then again, I've never owned an istick and never will.
I don't care if they start selling an istick 150 for $19.99 I sill wouldn't buy one.

I couldn't agree with you more. At least from the prespective I have now. I remember buying my first regulated mod. It wasn't an Istick, but it could have been.

The descision was based on price, features and reviewers and store staff who never once mentioned that this was a possibility.

How many times have you heard how much safer regulated devices are than mechs? The vast majority of regulated mods don't do this. They all have the potential, but Istick has to be the winner of " The Most Likely To Burn Up Your Shit " award.

I don't think any reputable shop should sell them. And how many times this week alone have you heard members recommending a noob buy one? If it is mentioned that there might be a safety issue, the Istick owners virtually always respond " mine works fine".

There are so many quality, small cheap mods available now that do not spontaneously combust.

We already do the right thing, emphasizing battery safety, who would suggest a noob, or anybody for that matter buy a "Trustfire" battery.

For some reason though, we have a double standard when it comes to Isticks.

When Eleaf retires the Istick name because of negative publicity, we will know we have gained ground.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I added this post to my "Jan 2016 Explodathon" series.
This is the 5th one so far this month.

Rhetorical:
Like Mooch updates his batt test chart, we need an automatically updated vote-based CRAP chart for products that are commonly hated...
Consistently Recognized as Poor
or a GAG chart...
Generally Accepted Garbage

Get everyone looking at one easy-to-find post, so people see there are tons of options besides eFires and iExplodes.
Maybe fun in theory, but any chart/list like that would never work, since there would be too much abuse of the voting system.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I couldn't agree with you more. At least from the prespective I have now. I remember buying my first regulated mod. It wasn't an Istick, but it could have been.

The descision was based on price, features and reviewers and store staff who never once mentioned that this was a possibility.

How many times have you heard how much safer regulated devices are than mechs? The vast majority of regulated mods don't do this. They all have the potential, but Istick has to be the winner of " The Most Likely To Burn Up Your Shit " award.

I don't think any reputable shop should sell them. And how many times this week alone have you heard members recommending a noob buy one? If it is mentioned that there might be a safety issue, the Istick owners virtually always respond " mine works fine".

There are so many quality, small cheap mods available now that do not spontaneously combust.

We already do the right thing, emphasizing battery safety, who would suggest a noob, or anybody for that matter buy a "Trustfire" battery.

For some reason though, we have a double standard when it comes to Isticks.

When Eleaf retires the Istick name because of negative publicity, we will know we have gained ground.

My first real mod came toward the end of 2012 and for cost and quality I chose the Vamo V2 and Protank V1
I bought 4 gray panasonics and a 2 bay charger.

I did close to a month of research before making the purchase.

Back then that was the ultimate sub-$100 setup.

I have heard at least a dozen stories of exploding isticks in the past year.

At the end of 2012 there was one story of some idiot who used non rechargeable radio shack batteries on a homemade mod and blew some teeth off.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If it is a good mod it won't explode with the wrong batteries. I put a Duracell AA in my PV-1- same size as a 14500, as a test to see what would happen and it simply didn't fire...

hoot2k16

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im a day late and a buck short - of all the things in my life I chose not to research, it was vaping.

Until ~1430hrs EST today, I had an iStick 50W. I now have some molten metal lava on my hardwood floor, black soot in my nose, and a scorched night stand (which was 15 feet away from my bed - thank god).

Cautionary tale - iStick has some shitty product.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I now have some molten metal lava on my hardwood floor, black soot in my nose, and a scorched night stand (which was 15 feet away from my bed - thank god).

First of all, thank God you are OK, and that things were not worse. More details, were you home, sleeping etc, what happened? Was it charging?

Make sure you take some photos.

hoot2k16

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's actually me responding to that thread - it was someone elses thread entirely - but its fully detailed there, but for the lazy:
Hey everyone. Sadly, I signed up to this site just for THIS thread.

Equipment:
iStick50W (Culprit)
Kanger SubTank Mini (observer)
Me (Angry)

I work midnights and today I crashed for my customary 4 hr nap after work. My iStick 50W was completely drained after shift last night so I set about to charge it in an isolated MONSTER Power bar with Surge protection and with the provided charger and USB cable; as I have done everytime in the month I have owned it.

I woke up to a boom and what sounded literally like a type of firework spewing smoke and flame across a ten foot expanse.

Yes I should have done my homework ahead of time and not bought the goddamn thing in the first place but I truly enjoyed my 100W (no issues) and my 10W which my wife uses. The retail storefront was shocked when I told her it exploded (we had been joking about this in the days prior on my last visit to the shop - karma) and the owner called BS. I arrived with the detonated unit in hand and the look on their faces was shock. They gave me store credit (wasn't seeking that) nor was I looking to embarrass them (I waited patiently for the customers they had to leave before presenting the failed unit respectively.).
The owner said he has been vaping for "a number of years" and never heard of a single iStick failure. Prior to arriving I did some post-incident research (led me here) and a number of other sites and instances, videos etc appeared. A large number of failures and incidents. The only thing I said to the owner, take these things off your shelves before someone gets hurt. He said he couldn't afford to do that but given what he'd seen, he would be returning all product to them immediately at a loss. As a solid, the man gave me an IPV D2 for free. I haven't used it much as I didn't have an 18650 ready to play with it.

As someone fairly new to this realm, and learning essentially on the fly and sadly by folly today - I need to do my research ahead of time. The iStick issue has been around for over a year and I was completely unaware due to ignorance and a lack of education on the matter. Mea Culpa.

Nobody injured - minor damage to hardwood floor (molten battery lava or the bottom door for the casing I think - I ain't no fire marshal) and scorching to my night stand.

As a rookie - this scares the literal sh*t out of me. Please to anyone who MAY READ THIS: This is a cautionary tale. Please research before buying product that someone RECOMMENDS.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
iJust avoid Joyetech entirely. ;)

Eleaf makes the istick. - I have never owned an Eleaf Istick anything.

You may want to add them to the "Avoid Entirely" list. (I have when I heard of this problem about a year ago)

Back in the day when ego batteries were as high tech as you could get the Joyetech Ego was the best of all of them.

As a matter of fact they are the ones who named it an "Ego Battery"

The name stuck and all batteries of that size with the fire button on the side were called ego batteries.
Kind of like how Kleenex is a popular brand of facial tissue and some people just call all facial tissue "kleenexes" now.

Joyetech also invented ego threading as well (i'm really glad that ego threads didn't become standard and we stuck with 510 threading.)

I have two mods with joyetech chips one is the Cuboid made by joyetech
and the other is the one they are getting sued over = wismec reuleaux rx200

I personally don't vape over 100 watts max
I stay between 40 and 60 mostly

Actually I use TC a lot now because when you limit the temp a coil can reach it can not cook the juice.
Burning or cooking the juice may release a very small amount of toxins.

So I prefer the Cubiod because it is much smaller in size. For $39.99 it's a great dual 18650 mod

The whole deal where the batteries do not come out of the mod is what turns me off about the istick series and the Evic VT.

I like to be using a set and have a set to put in while i'm charging the drained ones.
That and i can choose which brand and spec of battery I am putting into the mod.

I have a feeling that Eleaf may be using inferior cells in their istick50 device because I have heard at least 2 dozen stories all the same as the story above.

woofer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Eleaf makes the istick. - I have never owned an Eleaf Istick anything.
You may want to add them to the "Avoid Entirely" list. (I have when I heard of this problem about a year ago)

Yes, ELeaf is on my avoid entirely list. :D
I believe Joyetech owns eleaf. I avoid them all.

They are not being sued over safety, they are being sued by Evolve over Evolve's greed.

Evolv has every right to defend their patent. If Joyetech has not stolen from them Joyetech has nothing to worry about.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Joyetech has not stolen from them Joyetech has nothing to worry about.

Frivolous and vexatious litigation on Evolve's part. And I'm a member of the Evolve Early Adopters Forum.

I have both chips, the RX, and the DNA. I did an autopsy on the RX.http://vapingunderground.com/threads/reuleaux-rx-200.160496/page-28#post-873175

The two boards are dissimilar other than the dual power converters. Hardly a clone. The RX chip is no more a clone than a Smok, or Yihi, and Evolve knows it.

I believe that Evolve is activley patent trolling, and attempting to use the thin edge of the wedge that they have by configuring the DNA200 for "research purposes" to leverage and postion themselves as an FDA approved device. Disgusting.

They have priced themselves out of the market, and are crying to the courts.

As I wrote in the RX thread...

So..... Evolve. Still holding out for $80 for the chip alone?

At these prices, its only a matter of time before some hardcore bad ass uber geeks from hell, reverse engineer the firmware, and write a command interperter to intergrate the RX with Lightscribe.

I'm talking about men who will never experience female companionship, or sunlight, or emerge from their parents basements for any extended periods of time. The mad monks of microchip mayhem. They dream in binary, and could solder surface mount components before they could ride bicycles. OK, they will never ride bicycles, but Evolve, take heed...... Your pricing model realy needs to...... um...... Evolve.

Well, it has happened.

http://daisychainvaper.com/wismec-rx200-cool-new-geometric-font/

rxdisp-jpg.43461

Hanna, Hyon and now Evolve.

I wonder who Evolve pays royalties to for the 510 connector?

Defending their patent? Butthurtius Maximus more like.

woofer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well that is your opinion and I have a different one.

As I understand the claim and yes I read it what the boards look like is irrelevant. The patent is for a method not a board design.

Evolv doesn't use 510 connectors and Joyetech stole the 510 too.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Frivolous and vexatious litigation on Evolve's part. And I'm a member of the Evolve Early Adopters Forum.

I have both chips, the RX, and the DNA. I did an autopsy on the RX.http://vapingunderground.com/threads/reuleaux-rx-200.160496/page-28#post-873175

The two boards are dissimilar other than the dual power converters. Hardly a clone. The RX chip is no more a clone than a Smok, or Yihi, and Evolve knows it.

I believe that Evolve is activley patent trolling, and attempting to use the thin edge of the wedge that they have by configuring the DNA200 for "research purposes" to leverage and postion themselves as an FDA approved device. Disgusting.

They have priced themselves out of the market, and are crying to the courts.

As I wrote in the RX thread...

Well, it has happened.

http://daisychainvaper.com/wismec-rx200-cool-new-geometric-font/

rxdisp-jpg.43461

Hanna, Hyon and now Evolve.

I wonder who Evolve pays royalties to for the 510 connector?

Defending their patent? Butthurtius Maximus more like.

You may want to check this out:

RX200 custom wattage icons:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4ffTVA88KbAOHVfSDlJRjdiZWs&usp=drive_web

You can turn the ohm symbol into Pac-Man and all types of other cool shit.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Evolv doesn't use 510 connectors and Joyetech stole the 510 too.

Ok. Lets split hairs. Who does Evolve pay royalties to for the electronic vaporiser? Why does Evolve not go after Smok, or Yihi or any of the other mfgrs that make TC boards?

They are going after Wisemec because Wisemec developed their own board, after Evolve failed to deliver the amount of DNA200s for the Realeaux. They are trying to use their "research" provisions from the DNA to coddle up to the looming FDA regulations. That is purely slimey.

The RX has outsold the DNA by probably 10 to 1. I have both Realeaux versions. If my DNA200 version quit, I'd replace it with 3 or 4 RXs.

BTW, who exactly did Joyetech "steal" the threaded electrical connector that they used in their eGo model 510 from? Edison?

Controlled regulated power converters have been around a while. I'm going to venture a guess, that you are 'Murican perhaps? No offence to Americans.

Just when you think you heard the last of Fernando Sollis.....

Our very own Vic Mullen, illustrating the buffoonery of Hyon... And, where are Hyon now?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What is never explained or explored is what did he do to his iStick?

I voted NO :bomb:

woofer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok. Lets split hairs. Who does Evolve pay royalties to for the electronic vaporiser?

HUH that doesn't even make sense, Evolv doesn't make vaporizers. :crazy:

Why does Evolve not go after Smok, or Yihi or any of the other mfgrs that make TC boards?

I expect they picked Joyetech because Joyetech has a US division. Never going to win against a Chinese firm in China.

BTW, who exactly did Joyetech "steal" the threaded electrical connector that they used in their eGo model 510 from? Edison?

Ovale

I'm going to venture a guess, that you are 'Murican perhaps? No offence to Americans.

Wrong again.

And it is Evolv not Evolve. :facepalm:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Resorting to being a spelling Nazi. You make a compelling case.

HUH that doesn't even make sense, Evolv doesn't make vaporizers. :crazy:

Vaporisers, Ecigs. We both know that you understand the relevant point. Semantics aside, we both also know that EvolvE has stood on the shoulders of Chinese giants (how's that for a mixed metaphore) Very hippocritical of them to start patent trolling.

Reminds me of Fat Daddy charging royalties for his connector, when the CAD drawings were provided to him for free. It is greed.

Make a good product, at a competive price, and the market will decide. To use the courts to impose protectionism will result in a sheltered workshop. Next, will be banning any competition, or sanctions. It didn't work during the 70-80s then Detroit had import taxes levyed against Japaneese imports, so they could defend their right to keep consumers buying the 1950s cars they insisted on making and selling, and it won't work now.

woofer

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Resorting to being a spelling Nazi. You make a compelling case.

Vaporisers, Ecigs. We both know that you understand the relevant point. Semantics aside, we both also know that EvolvE has stood on the shoulders of Chinese giants (how's that for a mixed metaphore) Very hippocritical of them to start patent trolling.

Reminds me of Fat Daddy charging royalties for his connector, when the CAD drawings were provided to him for free. It is greed.

Make a good product, at a competive price, and the market will decide. To use the courts to impose protectionism will result in a sheltered workshop. Next, will be banning any competition, or sanctions. It didn't work during the 70-80s then Detroit had import taxes levyed against Japaneese imports, so they could defend their right to keep consumers buying the 1950s cars they insisted on making and selling, and it won't work now.

38022798.jpg
de6f7cf3-4429-40a7-b613-897e9557da4f.jpg

VU Sponsors