Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Asmodus Pumper 18 Squonk Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Asmodus Pumper 18 Mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links.

Introduction:
The Asmodus Pumper 18 is a stabilized wood (stabwood) Single 18650 non adjustable squonk mod with protections. It features the Asmodus pump style of bottle aimed at making it easier to not oversquonk. They retail at 120 dollars which is expensive for a mod usually, but for a stabwood mod, is actually on the cheaper side since many run north of 200 dollars. It’s rare to find a stabwood mod at 120 dollars or less, especially one as beautiful as the pumper. Asmodus makes some of the prettiest stabwood mods on the market. They also allow you to choose a color, which is nice since lots of stabwood mods are sold as random color. It’s available in 3 color options Red, Purple, and Green.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Single 18650 High-Amp Battery - Not Included
  • Output Voltage Range: 3.3-4.2V
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.1ohm
  • LED Battery Light Indicator
  • Superior 6063 Aluminum Alloy Construction
  • High-End Stabilized Wood Panel
  • 7mL Squonk Bottle - Proprietary Pump System
  • Oversized Circle Firing Mechanism - asMODus Logo
  • Bottom-Loaded Battery Cap
  • Negative Polarity
  • Work Overtime Protection
  • Overheat Protection
  • Atomizer Short Protection
  • Low Voltage Protection
  • Squonk-Ready Bottom-Feeding Section
  • 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 asMODus Pumper-18 Mod
  • 1 7 mL Squonk Bottle
  • Instructional Manual
Picture Album
https://imgur.com/a/eeAWpmn

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty impressed with the presentation. The box is pretty nice and it has a felt lined top and a smooth soft covering over the insert to hold the mod in place to keep the mod protected. There isn’t much in the box at all since it’s a simple mod. Just the mod itself and an instruction card. There is also a sticker on the outside of the box of the main color. I like that asmodus lets you choose the color instead of just random color. They also make some of the best looking stabwood mods on the market, and the Pumper 18 is no exception. It has a more matte finish then the minikin boost kodama which had a glossy finish, but the wood looks excellent. I have a ton of pics in the album above. It uses the asmodus pump style squonk system which i’ll go over more later and is a small single 18650 battery squonk mod. Overall i was pretty impressed with this mod from the start.

Performance
It’s a basic mod with no adjustments. I did a small round of testing using a fully charged Sony VTC5A Battery. Power output will depend on your build. With a .12 build I was able to get 72 watts (25 amps, 2.945 volts). With a .14 ohm build i got 71 Watts (3.156 volts) with a .2 ohm build I got 60 watts (3.471 volts) and with a .59 ohm build I got 26 watts (3.892 Volts). If using a rebuildable you’ll want to build for it like you would a mech squonker. It works as expected and right in line with similar mods i’ve reviewed recently like the Wismec Luxotic BF and the Aspire Feedlink mods.

Mod and squonk system details.
They list the mod as an upgrade to their luna with simple improvements. I don’t have a luna to compare, but the main differences i see is the luna doesn't use the pump system you just squeeze the bottle. It also has a different load style for the bottle and the battery door has a tab you can pull out to twist like the geekvape aegis. The pumper is also more rounded in shape while the luna is a bit more boxy. Back to the pumper 18, The mod uses a 5 click on and off. There is a small LED on the top right of the mod body you can see through a pinhole. When you turn the mod on it’ll light up green, When you turn it off it’ll light up blue. When you press the fire button the green LED stays on for the duration of the puff. There is no battery meter. The LED will also blink when protections kick in different colors which i’ll go over below. The battery tray is a bottom fed style where you have to unscrew a recessed cap much like the sith V2 mech or the geekvape aegis. Personally I don’t like that style, but objectively the cap itself is pretty light and worked well with any battery and the threading is also pretty good. Much better to get on and off then the feedlink was. I never had to use any tools or anything. When they battery is in and screwed in the LED will light up green. It goes positive side up and has reverse polarity protection, if you put it in upside down, the LED won’t light up at all.

The bottle it comes with is amazing. It’s a plastic bottle but you don’t squeeze it so that’s fine. It’s frosted but has a clear stripe in the middle and it’s easy to see through and see the juice level. The top of the clear strip is the max fill line, If you fill it higher than that it’ll overflow when you put in the pump. To fill the bottle just flip back the metal pump and pull up on the straw. It’s O-ringed into the bottle. Fill then put the straw back in. This is one con i had though, getting it back in without accidentally pumping juice is a pain. You need to push from the bottom base of the metal top of the straw. For me i found it works best if you leave it loose and then pop it in the mod with an RDA on top and then push the pump down hard and it pops it right in with no mess or juice loss since the juice goes into the RDA when you do it that way. Pretty much my only complaint with the bottle system. Since it uses a pump you get metered amounts of juice to your RDA. the amount of pumps will differ based on the juice well but in general 3-4 pumps works great for me. Take a few puffs then 3-4 pumps to wet the wicks again. Since you have countable pumps nobody should oversquonk on this, however if you decide to pump it 10 times for some reason and oversquonk, remember the pump system doesn't suck back juice into the bottle like a squeeze bottle does so you’ll have to empty out the RDA. Personally i love the pump system and think it’s a great idea to protect people from oversquonking and causing leaks. Sadly though there is no spare bottle included, I wish they did include one. They do sell them seperate on their site though, but they are 25 bucks which is pretty pricey for a bottle they should have included IMO. To remove just turn a quarter turn counter-clockwise and it pops out. To put it back in just slide it in, line up the notches and push up and do a quarter turn clockwise and it locks into place. It’s also a metal frame for this not plastic like the feedlink one so shouldn’t break when abused or dropped. It does have a nice 7 ml capacity as well.

As far as looks go I think I talked enough about them, it’s a beautiful mod. The top and bottom are SS color and the body is stabwood. The fire button is on the side and a little small and recessed in slightly. It felt like an odd place to me at first but i got used to it over time. Still I would have liked a bigger fire button and i understand the spot because there is no way to put it on the front. You have to hold the mod sideways but it’s small and comfy. It can handle a 25mm atomizer without overhang. For people who want bigger batteries, they also make a 2x700 version (takes 21700 or 20700 batteries) called the Pumper 21 which is a little bigger and has gold colored metal but outside of that, pretty much the same mod. So if you wanted the bigger batteries there is the option for that as well but it also cost 20 bucks more.

The listed safety features are as follows, 10 seconds cutoff (LED flashes blue 3 times), Reverse Battery protection (batteries go in positive side up, and LED won’t come on if battery is upside down), Overload protection (won’t fire below .1 ohms, LED flashes red 5 times), Short Circuit Protection (LED flashes red 5 times), High Temp Protection (If chip reaches 158F LED flashes red 6 times and shuts off), and Low Voltage Protection (3.3V cut off, red LED flashes 5 times)

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • Beautiful Stabwood mod
  • color options
  • Small Size
  • no button rattle
  • works like it should
  • nice 7 ml pump bottle system
  • has protections
  • good price point for a stabwood mod (120.00 USD on element vape)
Cons:
  • no spare bottle (sold separate for 24.95)
  • Proprietary Bottle System
  • small fire button
  • no battery meter
  • putting pick up tube back in bottle after filling can be a pain
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, but this one leans pretty heavy towards the yes. It fills the need of a nice affordable stabwood squonk mod with protections. Most stabwood squonker will be mechs and cost over twice as much. The way i see it is if you want this style of mod (non adjustable but protected) you have a dirt cheap option in the luxotic BF, if you want a little nicer mid range option there is the feedlink, and if you want a high end mod to show off there is the pumper 18. Performance wise though between the 3 there really isn’t any difference so it’s just about looks and your budget and what you want, but with this mod, asmodus made a stabwood squonker available to all at a good price so color me impressed. I'll be adding it to my spreadsheet of recs which is linked at the bottom of this review

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

It can be purchased here for 119.95 https://www.elementvape.com/asmodus-pumper-18-bf-squonk-box-mod

Or for the 2x700 version here for 129.95 https://www.elementvape.com/asmodus-pumper-20-21-bf-squonk-box-mod

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Element Vape

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors