Become a Patron!

Anxiety

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
something I noticed...

I have bad anxiety on a daily basis. A regular cigarette does nothing to help, and even some times makes it worse. Vaping on the other hand seems to balance me out. Not sure why.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good, another reason not to go back to the dark side ;)

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i have PTSD and high anxiety issues, and I can tell you why I think it helps...vaping is more involved than smoking cigarettes. When I focus on a hobby or on projects that involve more thought and or concentration, it helps curb my issues. When you are busy paying attention to your vape, for flavor, draw, settings, cleanliness and whatever else you might be focusing on, it helps not to focus on the issue of anxiety. I found that staying involved with stuff that keeps me focused, no matter what hobby, project or whatever it is, it helps.

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
something I noticed...

I have bad anxiety on a daily basis. A regular cigarette does nothing to help, and even some times makes it worse. Vaping on the other hand seems to balance me out. Not sure why.
It definitely helps my anxiety a great deal! I understand your struggle. I've been through a lot and vaping really helps (so much more than cigarettes). During Thanksgiving, all the noise and crowdedness (is crowdedness a word?) really got to me. I went outside to vape and I felt SO much calmer afterwards. Thank you for sharing, I appreciate not feeling like the only one. :)

PS: If you have any trouble/questions, you can always PM me.

CigetteVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
something I noticed...

Also not to forget that nicotine is a stimulant drug which helps a lot with anxiety and increases focus in your brain. Therefore you feel crummy when you try to get off them because you need to get back to "normal". Vaping does most of the time contain nicotine and that would be the main point of the "anti-anxiety" effect that it might have.

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It definitely helps my anxiety a great deal! I understand your struggle. I've been through a lot and vaping really helps (so much more than cigarettes). During Thanksgiving, all the noise and crowdedness (is crowdedness a word?) really got to me. I went outside to vape and I felt SO much calmer afterwards. Thank you for sharing, I appreciate not feeling like the only one. :)

PS: If you have any trouble/questions, you can always PM me.
I listen to music in one ear if I go shopping anywhere. Or anywhere crowded for that matter.

Last edited:

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i have PTSD and high anxiety issues, and I can tell you why I think it helps...vaping is more involved than smoking cigarettes. When I focus on a hobby or on projects that involve more thought and or concentration, it helps curb my issues. When you are busy paying attention to your vape, for flavor, draw, settings, cleanliness and whatever else you might be focusing on, it helps not to focus on the issue of anxiety. I found that staying involved with stuff that keeps me focused, no matter what hobby, project or whatever it is, it helps.
Agree with this. Great hypothesis. There's also the relaxing from the hobby side too. I personally enjoy building coils, DIY, batteries, etc.. A hobby you enjoy Is often very relaxing.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check this out. :eek:

panic-and-anxiety-blocker-therapy-refill.jpg

http://thev-meds.com/en/nano-mist-refills/19-panic-and-anxiety-blocker-therapy-refill.html

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This whole business of suspending 'natural' supplements like melatonin, gaba, 5-htp, etc in PG/VG liquid so they can be inconsistently dosed through your lungs really wigs me the fuck out. There are much better solutions for social anxiety, like support groups that focus on cognitive behavioral therapy to help teach you positive coping mechanisms for stressful situations, as well as non-narcotic anti-anxiety medications like Neurontin that you can obtain through your GP or psychiatrist.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This whole business of suspending 'natural' supplements like melatonin, gaba, 5-htp, etc in PG/VG liquid so they can be inconsistently dosed through your lungs really wigs me the fuck out. There are much better solutions for social anxiety, like support groups that focus on cognitive behavioral therapy to help teach you positive coping mechanisms for stressful situations, as well as non-narcotic anti-anxiety medications like Neurontin that you can obtain through your GP or psychiatrist.

Or our old family remedy, alcohol. :rolleyes:

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Support groups and pills....lol.

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yeah, immersion therapy in a safe, controlled environment coupled with peer reviewed, widely studied, proven techniques for replacing maladaptive and regressive hermetic behavior with positive coping mechanisms, usually supplemented with a light regiment of mood stabilizing psychiatric medicine because anxiety is largely an irrational chemical response in the body first and foremost.

but yeah, fuck that. i'll keep getting high in my room alone instead.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
irrational chemical response...lol, typical liberal jiberjab. I'm going to wager you went to University of Illinois right?

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I buy into the hobby part as a focus.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I go with the nicotine part of anxiety.
I have ADHD and like many people with ADHD, it came with anxiety.
Main reason I smoked cigs was to help keep me focused at work.

When I gave up the cigs for vaping, my anxiety level started sky-rocketing resulting in having a hair trigger temper until I worked out how much nicotine I needed from my juice. Well, actually, I just went from 5 watts to 10 watts for my Nautilus tanks and all was fine again.

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got to try this. I have bad social anxiety... Crowded places, literally, make me angry... I don't know how to explain... But feel like I'm backed into a corner kind of thing.
yes music definitely helps. Tunes out "others" a bit. And don't worry I get it. My anxiety has gotten so bad I'm borderline agoraphobic, my current psychiatrist and psychologist seems to be helping out a bit though.

Btw, best day to go holiday shopping is when your local football team is playing.

I'm guessing I need new hardware for that?

I think putting anything in your lungs including the air you breathe should wig you out... Lol

visionz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Support groups and pills....lol.

The legal alternative in your state is wayyyyy safer than any pill you could take ever lol. Only if my state wasn't so conservative ha. Smh.... but I love vaping totally calms my anxiety levels I love rebuilding and going on VU to learn more and more daily!

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yeah, immersion therapy in a safe, controlled environment coupled with peer reviewed, widely studied, proven techniques for replacing maladaptive and regressive hermetic behavior with positive coping mechanisms, usually supplemented with a light regiment of mood stabilizing psychiatric medicine
A fishing pole, a cooler of beer and a good vape works for me.....but hey, I'm simple like that.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I had been to countless social workers , psychologist and psychiatrist's over the years because i was always very withdrawn and preferred to avoid people if at all possible . Have no issues being alone and actually much prefer it to always being around others .

No matter what therapy and method that was used to bring me out of my shell nothing has worked , i don't know what it is but therapy has done nothing for me , is my preferring to avoid people really that unacceptable ?

If it was up to me i would stay exactly the same , i can function very well socially when i decide to socialize .

I just prefer to avoid social functions if given a choice . I much prefer to be alone or with pets than people i don't know , and many i do know actually.

I have learned the more people you involve yourself with the more headaches emerge , just don't care for the drama and turmoil.

To be honest , many of the therapist i have known could use therapy themselves , many of them study psychology to understand their own weird behaviors , don't judge me because i don't fit the criteria of what you consider normal .

I am not the one who sought your help , i was forced to go .

The nerve of these people lol.

Last edited:

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had been to countless social workers , psychologist and psychiatrist's over the years because i was always very withdrawn and preferred to avoid people if at all possible . Have no issues being alone and actually much prefer it to always being around others .

No matter what therapy and method that was used to bring me out of my shell nothing has worked , i don't know what it is but therapy has done nothing for me , is my preferring to avoid people really that unacceptable to you lol.

If it was up to me i would stay exactly the same , i can function very well socially , have zero issues , i just prefer to avoid them given the choice . I much prefer to be alone or with pets than people i don't know , and many i do know actually.

I have learned the more people you involve yourself with the more headaches emerge , just don't care for the drama and turmoil.

To be honest , more of the therapist i have been to need therapy more than i do , many of them study psychology to understand their own weird behaviors , don't judge me because i don't fit the criteria of the masses .

The nerve of these people lol.
Word. I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying, I've spent near 10 years in the mental health circuit for major depression disorder, and anxiety; the majority of it largely being a complete fucking wash. I was essentially agoraphobic for a few years in my late teens, therapists were largely no help. I'd tell myself and others that I just enjoyed being alone, but looking back on it I think I was lying to myself, because I didn't really know what it felt like to be happy either so I didn't strive for it. It took me a long time to realize that just because a therapist has their PsyD or a doctorate doesn't mean that they'll gel with you and be effective at their job, which really sucks to think about. I've had to shop around a lot for therapists, and I think in that time I've had one therapist who actually did a stellar job and helped me out a lot, but I ended up moving and I had to stop seeing her. For 3 years I medicated myself by abusing benzodiazepines in really disgusting quantities to keep my anxiety at what I perceived was manageable levels, I thought it was what I honestly needed to help live without anxiety, but if anyone's familiar with addiction they know that it usually has a really dark end once someone 'bottoms out'. If I would have read this thread at any other time in my life I'd probably be responding largely the same as other people in this thread, but I recently completed an intensive outpatient program that really got me up on my two feet and made me feel like I could sincerely function in the world again. Before I went in, I had pretty much resigned myself to a few more years of living real miserably before putting a gun in my mouth, so it's a massive massive shift in my outlook and hope for the future, and after experiencing it I just really want to tell other people that they definitely have a chance, but I know just as well that when you're in a dark state that hope seems impossible.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Word. I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying, I've spent near 10 years in the mental health circuit for major depression disorder, and anxiety; the majority of it largely being a complete fucking wash. I was essentially agoraphobic for a few years in my late teens, therapists were largely no help. I'd tell myself and others that I just enjoyed being alone, but looking back on it I think I was lying to myself, because I didn't really know what it felt like to be happy either so I didn't strive for it. It took me a long time to realize that just because a therapist has their PsyD or a doctorate doesn't mean that they'll gel with you and be effective at their job, which really sucks to think about. I've had to shop around a lot for therapists, and I think in that time I've had one therapist who actually did a stellar job and helped me out a lot, but I ended up moving and I had to stop seeing her. For 3 years I medicated myself by abusing benzodiazepines in really disgusting quantities to keep my anxiety at what I perceived was manageable levels, I thought it was what I honestly needed to help live without anxiety, but if anyone's familiar with addiction they know that it usually has a really dark end once someone 'bottoms out'. If I would have read this thread at any other time in my life I'd probably be responding largely the same as other people in this thread, but I recently completed an intensive outpatient program that really got me up on my two feet and made me feel like I could sincerely function in the world again. Before I went in, I had pretty much resigned myself to a few more years of living real miserably before putting a gun in my mouth, so it's a massive massive shift in my outlook and hope for the future, and after experiencing it I just really want to tell other people that they definitely have a chance, but I know just as well that when you're in a dark state that hope seems impossible.

I should of also said that my post was simply MY experience , there is no question that the various therapies available today can make a huge difference in peoples lives , cognitive behavioral works fantastic for a lot of people.

I just think some people seem to not get much out of therapy regardless of who they see and the methods used (talking about myself) i think i am a rare exception though.

No doubt that you are 100% correct in the importance of people finding the right therapist , that can be very difficult to say the least . I also know todays anti depressants can have a very positive impact on people if they are willing to go through the hell of finding the right one.

Problem is that it takes a long time to see if they work well for you and if they don't you have to slowly wean off of them (not fun) and start new again. There has been talk of new methods coming available in the future that will make it much more simplified but i haven't been following that closely.

I self medicated for years as well , alcohol , weed etc... it's extremely common and i don't see that changing , this Country really needs to take mental health much more seriously because it's much more common than people think .

Heredity plays a part as well and on another note , if you find a relative or family member on a medication and it works for them, you can usually count on it working well for another family member as well .

That can greatly save time if you are unsure of what anti depressant to try . I have books on this stuff going back decades and i like to read and understand all about the many types of human behavior , it's very interesting and at the same time extremely complicated lol.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
something I noticed...

I would agree I also suffer very high anxiety and vaping helps some but I have found the correct way to deal with this is to see your Doctor and ask for Anxiety meds.. If you suffer from Anxiety please do not walk around the planet with out getting the correct help :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I should of also said that my post was simply MY experience , there is no question that the various therapies available today can make a huge difference in peoples lives , cognitive behavioral works fantastic for a lot of people.

I just think some people seem to not get much out of therapy regardless of who they see and the methods used (talking about myself) i think i am a rare exception though.

No doubt that you are 100% correct in the importance of people finding the right therapist , that can be very difficult to say the least . I also know todays anti depressants can have a very positive impact on people if they are willing to go through the hell of finding the right one.

Problem is that it takes a long time to see if they work well for you and if they don't you have to slowly wean off of them (not fun) and start new again. There has been talk of new methods coming available in the future that will make it much more simplified but i haven't been following that closely.

I self medicated for years as well , alcohol , weed etc... it's extremely common and i don't see that changing , this Country really needs to take mental health much more seriously because it's much more common than people think .

Heredity plays a part as well and on another note , if you find a relative or family member on a medication and it works for them, you can usually count on it working well for another family member as well .

That can greatly save time if you are unsure of what anti depressant to try . I have books on this stuff going back decades and i like to read and understand all about the many types of human behavior , it's very interesting and at the same time extremely complicated lol.
Bro you just need to visit me I have enought pills to calm your van halen loving ass down :) hehe

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anxiety issues are extremely common, millions upon millions of people deal with that on a daily basis , what i am much more concerned with is people walking around with untreated paranoid schizophrenia , i have known more than a few and that shit scares me .

Whats really scary is that often develops for unknown reasons in people in their 20's , crazy but true.

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anxiety issues are extremely common, millions upon millions of people deal with that on a daily basis , what i am much more concerned with is people walking around with untreated paranoid schizophrenia , i have known more than a few and that shit scares me .

Whats really scary is that often develops for unknown reasons in people in their 20's , crazy but true.
Yeah I know a few people with diagnosed schizophrenia and they actively choose to not take their meds, and they seem generally fine and lucid a lot of the time but something ends up triggering them eventually and they spiral down this hole of paranoia and truly delusional thinking that makes perfect sense to them but is nonsense to us. The brain's capacity for fooling itself is incredible.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thats great if you know some that are doing well without meds , the ones i know who were not medicated were outright scary . Very unpredictable , one minute they would be shaking your hand , the next minute they are convinced your plotting against them and will just change into someone else .

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would agree I also suffer very high anxiety and vaping helps some but I have found the correct way to deal with this is to see your Doctor and ask for Anxiety meds.. If you suffer from Anxiety please do not walk around the planet with out getting the correct help :)
I've been in the mental health system since 2009. ;) I'm good. Well not really but it could be worse cause it's been a lot worse. Lol

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats great if you know some that are doing well without meds , the ones i know who were not medicated were outright scary . Very unpredictable , one minute they would be shaking your hand , the next minute they are convinced your plotting against them and will just change into someone else .
people with anxiety or paranoia notice things. They are hyper aware. Sometimes they are right and sometimes it's mentally created. But you learn people aren't out to get you (most of the time) they are for themselves.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Being generally paranoid is one thing , being diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia is a totally different ballgame.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been in the mental health system since 2009. ;) I'm good. Well not really but it could be worse cause it's been a lot worse. Lol

Two thousand nine , dang , you just started , i think i was being hassled in the early 1970's as a child lol. At least thats when the grownups were looking at me funny saying , why isn't he playing with the other kids .

Apparently if you don't do everything like the other kids you need therapy.

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Being generally paranoid is one thing , being diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia is a totally different ballgame.
or psychosis. That was a fun trip. Free too, no acid or drugs required. The bin made it worse though, had to break out to get better. Lol.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
or psychosis. That was a fun trip. Free too, no acid or drugs required. The bin made it worse though, had to break out to get better. Lol.

I escaped numerous times , problem is they had to come looking for me , why don't these people just bug off and mind their own business.

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I escaped numerous times , problem is they had to come looking for me , why don't these people just bug off and mind their own business.
Lol!

Ma'am your dad is not in the CIA and your mom is not a cover wife.

Me: how the hell do you know that? Did you check? Lol

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got to try this. I have bad social anxiety... Crowded places, literally, make me angry... I don't know how to explain... But feel like I'm backed into a corner kind of thing.
You've got Ochlophobia. I do as well. Just hate crowded places, never could do the bar scene when it was crowded.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Two thousand nine , dang , you just started , i think i was being hassled in the early 1970's as a child lol. At least thats when the grownups were looking at me funny saying , why isn't he playing with the other kids .

Apparently if you don't do everything like the other kids you need therapy.
Every kid is different, I despise the cookie cutter approach to mental health care these days which started in the 1960's. Nowadays if you don't sit still in class, as a kid you get drugged to hell and back.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree man Some still have this stigma that going to see a Psychiatrist marks you somehow it's just not true my current Doctor said its a process if one thing does not help something will however, there is no magic pill for life we do the best we can. I like him he's 79 and has so much expertise this is the first time in 15 years I am stabilized :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Every kid is different, I despise the cookie cutter approach to mental health care these days which started in the 1960's. Nowadays if you don't sit still in class, as a kid you get drugged to hell and back.
I agree however as with life it takes due diligence to find Psychs that care enough to not take that approach they are out there just in slim pickings :)

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree however as with life it takes due diligence to find Psychs that care enough to not take that approach they are out there just in slim pickings :)
definitely it's trial and error with psychiatrists and psychologists. .

I dig my current psychiatrist, she's very thorough and isn't quick to write scripts.

VU Sponsors