Become a Patron!

Any other fishermen around?

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I went out fishing yesterday with a friend, and got me to thinking I should start something on here about it. Yesterday was first day of trout for us here in PA, and one of my friend's family has a cabin they all go to for first day of trout, and make a huge deal out of it. We all go out, get shitfaced the night before, then wake up at 6am to go out to the various fishing holes and try to catch a fish. This year nothing was biting, out of the 20 of us 2 caught a fish. We were seeing the same thing with most everyone we saw out yesterday, no one had much of anything. But we all had our fun so that's what matters, I'm more a bass fisher anyway so most of my lures are aimed towards them.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So I went out fishing yesterday with a friend, and got me to thinking I should start something on here about it. Yesterday was first day of trout for us here in PA, and one of my friend's family has a cabin they all go to for first day of trout, and make a huge deal out of it. We all go out, get shitfaced the night before, then wake up at 6am to go out to the various fishing holes and try to catch a fish. This year nothing was biting, out of the 20 of us 2 caught a fish. We were seeing the same thing with most everyone we saw out yesterday, no one had much of anything. But we all had our fun so that's what matters, I'm more a bass fisher anyway so most of my lures are aimed towards them.
I live on the gulf coast, and family has a place a few blocks from the gulf of mexico. Ive only been fly fishing for red fish; but, I spent my entire life since I was old enough to stand with a fishing pole or a spear gun.
looking forward to this thread, and hopefully getting back out this coming weekend if the weather permits
i normally use falcon coastals with either a stradic, curado or Calcutta and power pro for inshore
for offshore either penn or shimano beastmaster

Last edited:

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
<-----Fly fisherman
Setup: St Croix Fly Rod with Orvis Reel

I've seen people fly fish, but never been myself... and the only one I know personally that attempts it isn's good at regular casting (he nearly gave me a nipple piercing one year trout fishing with a regular open faced reel so there's that) so when he told me he was going to attempt it I responded by saying, "You do that... waaaaay the fuck over there."

I love salt water fishing, I haven't gone yet this year, but fishing is a family thing, my children & I, normally go regularly in the summer, but I'm about to be a grandmother this July and my daughter has been lazy

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My dad took me on a company fishing trip when I was 18 down to Florida on the St John River. Supposedly during the middle of April the blue gill (crappie) bed by the thousands on a certain stretch. There were 4 of us and in that week we were there we caught over 1200 fish. Most of em were bluegill that all weighed near 1lb each but we had a few crappie, perch, trout, catfish, and bass mixed in too. I have never experienced anything like that before or since that week. I remember my hands and fingers were torn up and sore for almost a month from cleaning fish. We gave away a lot of it before coming back and we still had a complete deep freezer filled to the rim with fish for over a year.If you ever get the chance its like nothing you ever seen.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
<-----Fly fisherman
Setup: St Croix Fly Rod with Orvis Reel
Alright Nab...another flyfisherman....what are the rivers you fish regularly?...I have a 4 wieght Winston,an 8 wieght Winston, and a 5 wieght Scott. I have a reel made by a local machinist,and an Abel reel..... fish mostly for trout, but I've also fished for steelhead and stripped bass.

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I love to fish usually for whatever will bite the hook lol. I like to go with my dad and my kids granted the youngest is still impatient and cant leave his line in the water long enough to catch anything. I fish mainly with worms and shrimp and like getting those big catfish :) I am a catch and release kinda girl. My brother tournament fishes and cleans the fish he catches and sends it my way ready to eat or freeze :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
looking to go up here soon and put in a couple of days fishing. Pit River northeren Ca.

Pit_River_below_Powerhouse3_dam_crop350text.JPG

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fly Fishing the local stream for speckled and rainbows, fish for Walleyes with Lindy Rigs on a spinner. Fish for Northern and Muskie with a baitcaster and big Rapalla lures. Love Crappie, especially pan fried with fresh cornbread.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Huge bass fisherman.

Biggest of the year so far: (a giant for Nebraska)
0dfde028c007779ff49130590cd51bb1.jpg

Also dabble in fly fishing and tying. Just not great trout fishing close by, other than seasonal stocking. But bluegills love 'em too.

095b9eb8efbc9bc5b41e95b1a107596f.jpg

Last edited:

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haven't fished much the last few years but plan to pick it back up when I retire in June. I was an avid bass fisherman and we have lots of good lakes around here to fish. My biggest was a 11 pounder that I caught in a lake about 15 miles from my house. I miss my boat and bass fishing but I also enjoy crappie fishing in the rivers and creeks when they are spawning. They are lots of fun on an ultra lite rig.

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry about the blank post from my phone above

Grew up in western PA. Dad started me fly fishing at age 9. Spent many great days at Fishermans Paradise near Belfonte.

Been in MI the last 45 years and now spend my time on Lake Superior and Michigan for salmon and trout in my old Whaler, while vaping of course

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to fish a lot back in So. Cal, but since I moved to south eastern Az, not so much. Still have my bassboat, but it takes 3 hours+ to get to water. It would take less than an hour to get to Castaic, Piru, or Lake Pyramid back in the day. Summer temps make it a chore to tow that distance nowadays. Flat tires due to heat is all too common. Az does have some fantastic lakes, just none anywhere near me. I go when I can...:oops:.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to fish a lot back in So. Cal, but since I moved to south eastern Az, not so much. Still have my bassboat, but it takes 3 hours+ to get to water. It would take less than an hour to get to Castaic, Piru, or Lake Pyramid back in the day. Summer temps make it a chore to tow that distance nowadays. Flat tires due to heat is all too common. Az does have some fantastic lakes, just none anywhere near me. I go when I can...:oops:.
lee's ferry on the colorado is supposed to be pretty good for trout, I remeber a place called stone lake,the Apache's I think have some decent trout waters,and there's stripped bass up in lake Mead...southesatern AZ..Tucson? Yeah I grew up in Arizona and New Mexico,not a terrible lot of good rivers there either...the Jemez,the Pecos, the San Juan...but not big rivers....when I came to Ca. I thought I'd died and gone to fishy heaven....big rivers...like the Klamath....where I hunted the wily steelhead. hell the river was so fucking beautiful I didn't care if I caught a fish.

87.jpg

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
this thread should be a lot of fun.. have my 2 falcon coastals with stradic
lee's ferry on the colorado is supposed to be pretty good for trout, I remeber a place called stone lake,the Apache's I think have some decent trout waters,and there's stripped bass up in lake Mead...southesatern AZ..Tucson? Yeah I grew up in Arizona and New Mexico,not a terrible lot of good rivers there either...the Jemez,the Pecos, the San Juan...but not big rivers....when I came to Ca. I thought I'd died and gone to fishy heaven....big rivers...like the Klamath....where I hunted the wily steelhead. hell the river was so fucking beautiful I didn't care if I caught a fish.

87.jpg
that is gorgeous!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
O.K. fish story...first time I went up on the Klamath to fish for steelhead...incredible river big river...so the steelhead and salmon were coming up the river it was fall,but I'd never landed a steelhead.So I've been fishing a couple of days caught a few trout but no salmon or steelhead.There was one little bussines on that stretch of the river which was a general store on the Yurok Indian Reservation. everyday I'd go in the store to buy odds and ends for meals.There was a middle aged Yurok lady who'd always make fun of how wet I'd get fishing..she'd say..."you know, up here we stand on the bank and throw the line in the water...seems like you just jump in the river and try and grab them fish."...she looks me in the eye and says..."got your fish yet?'...I tell her no..I haven't got my fish yet.She reaches under the counter and pulls out a paperbag and says .."here take this" I look inside and there is a bag of home alder smoked fresh salmon...she says "You eat this and you'll get your fish"...I drove back to the camp site ate that salmon(the best damn smoked salmon I ever ate) cooked dinner and went to bed...I got up the next morning went fishing and lo and behold caught my first steelhead.
That evening I went into the general store bought my groceries for dinner..went up to the counter to pay,and that Yurok lady looked at me and said..."Well?"....I shook my head and said "Yes I got my fish".

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow, lots of fly fishermen around on here. not something I've really ever considered myself. I'm more the kind of guy that finds the perfect stick to shove into the ground so that after I cast in, I can lean my pole on it, plant my ass on the ground, lean back and relax against a tree. If the day goes where not much is biting I might stick a lure on, but I'm still rebuilding my lure selection. I used to have a really nice selection of lures to choose from, but my big tacklebox was stolen and I have to rebuild my fishing arsenal now.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, lots of fly fishermen around on here. not something I've really ever considered myself. I'm more the kind of guy that finds the perfect stick to shove into the ground so that after I cast in, I can lean my pole on it, plant my ass on the ground, lean back and relax against a tree. If the day goes where not much is biting I might stick a lure on, but I'm still rebuilding my lure selection. I used to have a really nice selection of lures to choose from, but my big tacklebox was stolen and I have to rebuild my fishing arsenal now.
The diffrence between fly fishing and worm drowners is...bank fisherman like to lay around on the bank...fly fisherman like to lay around in the middle of the river....it's just an excuse for grown men to spend the whole day playing in the river.

teeroy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I used to do a lot of fishing up here in Alberta, our best fishing is in northern lakes and rivers. large northern Pike and Walleye are my favourites, I've never been a fan of trout fishing even though I've done plenty of it.

during the summer we get a lot of daylight, farther north you go the less "night" there is. this pic is on the Mackenzie river in the Northwest Territories on the way back to camp at 1am. this is as dark as it gets in mid June in the NWT...the land of the Midnight Sun

Providence07108Small.jpg

you can catch these all day long in June, 18-30lb northern Pike.

Providence07046Small.jpg

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to do a lot of fishing up here in Alberta, our best fishing is in northern lakes and rivers. large northern Pike and Walleye are my favourites, I've never been a fan of trout fishing even though I've done plenty of it.

during the summer we get a lot of daylight, farther north you go the less "night" there is. this pic is on the Mackenzie river in the Northwest Territories on the way back to camp at 1am. this is as dark as it gets in mid June in the NWT...the land of the Midnight Sun

Providence07108Small.jpg

you can catch these all day long in June, 18-30lb northern Pike.

Providence07046Small.jpg

Yes please.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alright Nab...another flyfisherman....what are the rivers you fish regularly?...I have a 4 wieght Winston,an 8 wieght Winston, and a 5 wieght Scott. I have a reel made by a local machinist,and an Abel reel..... fish mostly for trout, but I've also fished for steelhead and stripped bass.
I like Sandy river, Clackamas River, Deschutes River and I love (my favorite place) Trask River (coastal)
I too fish mostly for Trout of all species that are available dependent on the season.

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My favorite fishing spots are fairly close by, I can get to each of them in about 10 minutes. Truth be told, if it weren't for my wife having the car at work right now I'd probably be out at one.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My favorite fishing spots are fairly close by, I can get to each of them in about 10 minutes. Truth be told, if it weren't for my wife having the car at work right now I'd probably be out at one.
whereabouts which waters....my excuse the pun wet dream..to live within walking distance of a blue ribbon trout river.

Severs

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My memory is a little fuzzy on the stocked trout waters, though there is a stocked location about 15 minutes from here, but there's the Quemahoning Dam, which is a 10 minute drive that's good for bass. My wife almost landed a 15 or 16 incher last year, but I was still setting up my pole, so I couldn't get to it before the line snapped and it flopped back into the water.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
This thread totally reminded me of a great piece of art by Ray Troll - I think Joe ripped his logo from this guy

VU power.jpg

Here's a couple kings my buddies caught on the Kenai River where I'm from.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1462842519196.jpg
    FB_IMG_1462842519196.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 8
  • FB_IMG_1462842481410.jpg
    FB_IMG_1462842481410.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 8

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another Nebraska giant from this week. Probably the biggest bass I've caught. Been a good year so far.

Was by myself so I asked a kid on the bank to snap a picture. Didn't think and have a nice sunglare in the background.

8a7dd9131f9ffa89e57aea960068bc4f.jpg

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Another Nebraska giant from this week. Probably the biggest bass I've caught. Been a good year so far.

Was by myself so I asked a kid on the bank to snap a picture. Didn't think and have a nice sunglare in the background.

8a7dd9131f9ffa89e57aea960068bc4f.jpg
Really nice Bass....!!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Redfish, black drum, red snapper mostly north east Florida area

Yeah I've always wanted to go for redfish with a fly rod...apparently you can see them and cast to them. as for florida....I'd love to go for bonefish down there....there's alot of different fish to go after there....

RonMack

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah I've always wanted to go for redfish with a fly rod...apparently you can see them and cast to them. as for florida....I'd love to go for bonefish down there....there's alot of different fish to go after there....
Never have tried fly fishing it is something I want to get into I've always been good with tinkering and making flies is an art in itself

Marc411

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm on Lake Michigan and we have salmon, trout and same decent bass fishing. I get the chance to dabble in the harbor for bass.

small-mouth.gif

And get out on the big pond for salmon and trout. This is a decent King.

salmon1.png

Marc411

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
We taken trips up on the boat but haven't fished it yet. Spent a weeks vacation up there and never wet a line.

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I live in Marquette and it's a great place to live. I spent the last 10 summers at Fairport, on the north shore of Lake Michigan for salmon, but that's in decline big time. I'll spend more time at home this year and focus on lakers......just not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc411

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I live in Marquette and it's a great place to live. I spent the last 10 summers at Fairport, on the north shore of Lake Michigan for salmon, but that's in decline big time. I'll spend more time at home this year and focus on lakers......just not the same.

Agreed, Lakers are like reeling in a wet towel. If you can get out deep you can still find Kings and Coho.

VU Sponsors