Become a Patron!

Arctic Fox TC mode - always need to rescan resistance

My Wismec(s) worked ok with 22g 316l wire but were slow to heat up. I got 24g and its much snappier when it works. But the resistance tends to get messed up and it just goes directly to protection mode. I can rescan the resistance and it works again for awhile. Watching the live monitor when it does this the temperature and resistance never go back down to 'cold' resistance. So the device thinks the wire is 100c instead of 21c. Ive re-tightened the posts but it does this on both of my gen3 devices. One is single coil and one is dual. Any ideas?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Quit using temperature control devices.

I do not mean that as being snarky about these kinds of devices/ I mean it from my own experience. I've tried using a Topside Lite in temperature control to no real avail. This "latest and greatest" new "feature" doesn't really do much of anything for me. In fact, it left me rather confused from all the over hyping it got. No, temperature control is not for everyone and I would hazard to say it's not for as many as the marketers would suggest.

Of course, being honest I use mechanical devices seemingly the way most readily use regulated devices. I use my Topside Lite in watt mode and run it at a whopping 20 watts. I have three other devices that are full mechanical mods and two more that are the half mechanical models (having only a switch or mosfet circuit for safety).

My apologies I'm not of much better help than this. Maybe @f1r3b1rd , @JuicyLucy , @pulsevape , @KingPin! may be of better help.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Never used artic fox sorry cannot help on this one ...there is a big thread about artic fox somewhere though might be able to glean some insight from it

Although be warned there was a lot of ping pong nonsense in it :giggle: just skim past those bits

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Could be the mod itself though ...wismec isn’t renound for TC accuracy from my understanding ...however that’s a whole debate in itself too ...yep we got a big old ping pong thread on that one too

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Arctic fox fixes the software issue that wismec and joyetech had with TC...but it can't fix the hardware.
In some cases the 510 itself of the mod is giving a bad connection for to between the 510 and board . If that's the case you have a good wattage only mod.

I have it on one of my wismec mods and it works well. No, it is not as good as an evolv board IMO.

If you really want good TC performance your best bet is to invest in an evolv board mod or a dicodes box.

To answer your question though, almost every time there is a tc issue it comes down to either a connection issue or setting the board with the build and board at separate temp(the build is to hot from priming or using it).

First thing I do to solve the issue is tighten everything up; 510 pin on atty, post screws, atty on mod. Make sure the 510 pin on the mod isn't stuck.
If all that is done and you still have issue let both sit idle for about 15 minutes, reset and pair together again and try that.

If you're still having issues its either the nature of the build, the wire itself, the atty itself or the mod.

If you're using it in TCR mode try it in designated wire mode.
If the designated wire mode is not working switch tcr and play with that a minute.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In NFE Tools, try setting Smart Mode to 'Off'. Also, instead of using the mod in TC mode, try Wattage mode with the Preheat Type set to 'Curve' and select a power curve from the list, you can customize the power curve that you have selected if you click on the Edit button after that... and remember, after you've made some changes in NFE Tools, you still need to upload these changes into the mod. The Curve Editor window is pretty straightforward: there's an option to zoom in on the timeline so that you can more easily see how the start of the puff will look like, and, there's a column with timings (in seconds) and another column with percentages where 100 translates to 100 percent of the wattage that you set on the mod by using the wattage up/down clicky buttons on the mod so that, each time when you change the wattage setting on the mod by using these clicky buttons, you don't need to edit the curve again, as that in fact is the great luxury of it using percentages as opposed to using wattages. Aside from mods that use ArcticFox, there are no mods that can do this. Russians are known to be excellent at maths. So they understand what percentages are for... everyone else still doesn't.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Admist all the partisan convo, has anyone asked what his build actually is, and using what?
Perhaps he's trying to run a super-low ohm build and it's choking. Or, a janky build that is shorting out. He's also using 24 gauge fucking wire when he likely shouldn't be.

AF can't save you from hardware limitation or physics.

Either via batt sag or over heat protection maybe? Or shitty batteries. Or his build is pants.

Or, he just doesn't know how to use AF.

Quit promoting agendas and help the guy before he blows himself up.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can also lock the resistance...
if your resistance is fluctuating, either it's a bad build, bad physical connections, using SS and getting hot which changes the resistance using the wrong TC, or you have problems.

Me, I'm vaping a tame 0.44 Kanthal build in the SXK Legend on an AF-powered Evic Vtwo Mini. In wattage.

IMG_20200613_172937.jpg

Cheers, I'm watching Nascar...

To OP, if you don't get this resolved, gimme a PM and I'll do what I can to help...when I'm sober. ;)

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Admist all the partisan convo, has anyone asked what his build actually is, and using what?
Perhaps he's trying to run a super-low ohm build and it's choking. He's using 24 gauge fucking wire.

Either via batt sag or over heat protection maybe? Or shitty batteries. Or his build is pants.

Try setting the Smart Mode to 'Off' like I already suggested in my previous reply and THEN decide who is or isn't promoting an agenda. ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try setting the Smart Mode to 'Off' like I already suggested in my previous reply and THEN decide who is or isn't promoting an agenda. ;)

I know, Dicodes FTW eh? I have no agenda. I run wattage in 90% of my devices if even regulated at all. TC is only needed in Ni200 and Ti.

Smart mode in AF won't save or hurt you from a FAIL build. This guy does not know what he is doing. Full Stop.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I know, Dicodes FTW eh? I have no agenda. I run wattage in 90% of my devices if even regulated at all.

Smart mode in AF won't save or hurt you from a FAIL build. This guy does not know what he is doing. Full Stop.
No, a Dicodes is not needed to be able to work out this problem... I can tell from what you wrote in your reply that you have no idea what Smart Mode is for so the guy who does not know what he is talking about is you.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, a Dicodes is not needed to be able to work out this problem... I can tell from what you wrote in your reply that you have no idea what Smart Mode is for so the guy who does not know what he is talking about is you.

OK smart guy...

My Wismec(s) worked ok with 22g 316l wire but were slow to heat up. I got 24g and its much snappier when it works. But the resistance tends to get messed up and it just goes directly to protection mode. I can rescan the resistance and it works again for awhile. Watching the live monitor when it does this the temperature and resistance never go back down to 'cold' resistance. So the device thinks the wire is 100c instead of 21c. Ive re-tightened the posts but it does this on both of my gen3 devices. One is single coil and one is dual. Any ideas?

What build is he running? What mod, what atty, what batteries? Has anyone asked to SEE the build?

Diagnostics 101...

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
replyhazy.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Perhaps he's trying to run a super-low ohm build and it's choking. Or, a janky build that is shorting out. He's also using 24 gauge fucking wire when he likely shouldn't be.

First what the fuck are you smoking, tripping on, popping? I damn sure don't want any of it.

Second. There were no "agendas" being "promoted". I was simply cracking a joke about @KingPin! 's use of the a ping pong game to describe argumentative threads. Three people had already attempted to help this person, self inclusive. I know my help was not exactly much help.

I don't apologize for that because you can see in the context of my post I'm only conveying an opinion that temperature control is not the best thing since sliced bread. That's my opinion and I'm sure one others possibly share. That aside I was not holding a gun to the OP's head to get them to vape my way. Sorry, no that's not me. I don't claim to perfect or correct. Nor do I shove my view on anyone, anyone can take it or leave it.

Everyone can voice an opinion here on a freely available public forum. Does that mean instantly someone is "pushing" "something"? No it doesn't not by the hardest. So yeah, whatever you're on, please keep it to yourself.

What build is he running? What mod, what atty, what batteries? Has anyone asked to SEE the build?

Here's what they've said:

22g 316l wire but were slow to heat up. I got 24g and its much snappier when it works. But the resistance tends to get messed up and it just goes directly to protection mode.

I would presume 316l in 22 g is stainless steel wire. I might further presume they stuck with stainless steel for the 24 gauge wire too.

They way it was phrased seemed to indicate some confidence in their build and acknowledgement of the device causing errors. No I have not asked to see their build nor asked what the build is. I would have thought had that been at issue the OP had enough common sense to present that as a possible issue and not the device as being the issue. I think that out of respecting the intellect of the OP. It's called seeing the good in others, I try to do it all the time until someone acts a jerk. *cough*

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First what the fuck are you smoking, tripping on, popping? I damn sure don't want any of it.

Second. There were no "agendas" being "promoted". I was simply cracking a joke about @KingPin! 's use of the a ping pong game to describe argumentative threads. Three people had already attempted to help this person, self inclusive. I know my help was not exactly much help.

I don't apologize for that because you can see in the context of my post I'm only conveying an opinion that temperature control is not the best thing since sliced bread. That's my opinion and I'm sure one others possibly share. That aside I was not holding a gun to the OP's head to get them to vape my way. Sorry, no that's not me. I don't claim to perfect or correct. Nor do I shove my view on anyone, anyone can take it or leave it.

Everyone can voice an opinion here on a freely available public forum. Does that mean instantly someone is "pushing" "something"? No it doesn't not by the hardest. So yeah, whatever you're on, please keep it to yourself.

What are you on about? I wasn't talking about or to you, first off. I have no clue what you are even talking about. Context...man, context.

You sound like the one on drugs, man.

Yes, many people on VU have agendas and viewpoints that effect their postings. Duh.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Exactly. Read my sig... Wismec makes the best regulated mods because, if you put it in TC mode by accident, then it automagically corrects your mistake for you. :cloud:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What are you on about? I wasn't talking about or to you, first off. I have no clue what you are even talking about. Context...man, context.

Context is right here. Here you are acting a jerk. If you're going to cast aspersions then name the shame you're wielding. For example, shame on you @CaFF for not pointing to who you were accusing of shoving stuff at others.

I'm here in the thread as well. I didn't know who the fuck you meant. But you didn't care either way did you? No. Because you're acting a jerk, @CaFF. Okay, strike one with me.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Exactly. Read my sig... Wismec makes the best regulated mods because, if you put it in TC mode by accident, then it automagically corrects your mistake for you. :cloud:

Yeah and I caught that was what you meant about "Smart Mode" or "auto-detect". *chuckles* I had a clue on that at least. Ha! I'm using my kidneys but good. I'd tell you about me and wife's house looking today but it was miserable, besides off topic. Excuse me. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You sound like the one on drugs, man.

I actually wish I was but no, as far as I'm aware I'm not. That might be the "problem" though. I too fucking sane, sober, sombre.

Been taking Tylenol for pain from recent gout flare up. I ate too much shrimp/prawn this past week. Still not learned to balance purines in my diet. Still Tylenol doesn't have any mental altering properties I know about. Take my high blood pressure medicine, a flomax and vitamin D each day. Beyond that I take fortnightly dose of testosterone for congenital CHH Kallmann's Syndrome (I have an actual medical need and appropriate prescription for it). That's all the medicines / drugs I'm on. I'm refusing a lot of anti-depressants, mood stabilizers until I get a diagnoses of bi-polar in writing. None of the so called "experts" "doctors" want to commit to that though. I'm thinking they fear putting me on something, and it fucks me up bad, then I sue the Hell out of them for their quackery.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah and I caught that was what you meant about "Smart Mode" or "auto-detect". *chuckles* I had a clue on that at least. Ha! I'm using my kidneys but good. I'd tell you about me and wife's house looking today but it was miserable, besides off topic. Excuse me. :)
If Smart Mode is set to 'On' or 'Lazy', then ArcticFox has the potential to get confused about the resistance, after which it poops on itself in this weird ugly fashion. Setting Smart Mode to 'Off' is what completely eliminates this issue.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Diagnostics 101...

You're right, I admittedly neglected to ask about build. I made the mistake of assuming he had a TC build.

That said, most tips mentioned would help if he did; however, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

To the OP
Your build, materials and style will all play a major part. As well as your resistance total at rest.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

why can’t you use 24g exactly?

same didn’t ask build, just read arctic fox and was tagged in so replied as such

Ok I have been working on this for awhile and forgot to check back here till just now. And the winner is Carambrda! :D I really have been fighting this for the past 4-5 days. And this "smart" setting was it all the time. Btw its just a 24g dual coil with the wraps not touching each other. I went from almost no vapor and protection to a nice vape! Thanks all this made my day. :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ok I have been working on this for awhile and forgot to check back here till just now. And the winner is Carambrda! :D I really have been fighting this for the past 4-5 days. And this "smart" setting was it all the time. Btw its just a 24g dual coil with the wraps not touching each other. I went from almost no vapor and protection to a nice vape! Thanks all this made my day. :)
Sweet glad you got it sorted :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bump it:

kisspng-fist-bump-punch-clip-art-5afdcef4536297.9484170315265830283416.jpg

VU Sponsors