Become a Patron!

Arduino and 110 watts

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Currently I am developing an open source arduino controlled power house of a mod. Code is shared and a basic hardware schematic is posted. I will not sell mods, but I am giving away all the knowledge needed to build one of these yourself.

Current feature set:
Watt displayed
Atomizer voltage displayed
Battery voltage and battery percent
Ohms of atomizer
Puff timer (retained until next puff)
Low battery lockout at 3.3 volts per cell
Screen timeout auto turn off
Auto fire timeout (to prevent auto firing if it falls and lands on button)
Multi press button support
1 press - turn off the screen manually
3 presses - enable/disable stealth mode
5 presses - sleep mode
Press and hold fires the mod
Voltage output controlled by knob for quick change (I hate pressing a button 999999 times)
2-6 volt output range, 20 amps, 110 watts
Verified safe to 0.28 ohms, but should be safe down in the sub 0.1 range, testing pending

The key components are:
One arduino Leonardo or uno variant (Femtoduino or pro micro are smallest)
One murata OKL2-T20 DC DC buck controller
One LiPO 7.4 volt battery or two lion 18650s in series
3wire mini-din socket
LiPO balance charger for charging

Then the other standard box mod stuff. On off switch the can do 3amps at 120 volts works great and is small. Any buttons works, no rating required.

See more here:
http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,1274.0.html

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've never worked with arduino type devises before. If any one makes one of these i would love to see it in action.

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll do up a more thorough vid of the test mule soon, but for now here is this at least :p

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And a shot of the guts before the final 3 connections were made:
gutsprotomcumod_zps99d897aa.jpg

hidden1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good work looks like a very tight fit

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well damn. It looks like i need to start learning to work with arduinos !

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If that is the typical wiring in a mod, I am so screwed. My eyesight is not that good anymore. I hope the box I ordered is bigger. It's a 1590G

No it's not typical :p Most mods are made without the microcontroller or screen, so there are far fewer wires.

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
New development based on a suggestion, self adjusting power level based on how hard you draw. Very much considering this for the test mule.

You're absolutely right, you could have it dynamically adjust power to airflow, you just need a tiny MAP or MAF to measure with. Actually really simple, as most are a linear 0-5v scale. I would think the best way would to be use the "track" pin on some of the dc-dc converters and use the analog out on the teensy so you can have the teensy generate the output voltage you want at low current, feed it to the dc/dc which will match "track" input to within 1% on some modules. No pot required at all, just a way of telling the teensy to increase or decrease the target "vape intensity", whatever arbitrary name you give it, via a button or knob or shake or whatever lol.

Went a step further, at first glance this looks promising, reading the data sheet now: http://cache.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/data_sheet/MPXV7025.pdf a quick google tells me humans can pull ~18 kpa, so the 25 kpa range on this is perfect
tongue.gif
I would envision a 510 connector on the box that is flat and then machine a groove around it about 5mm from the outer edge, put a oring in the groove. The atomizer you would drill a small hole into the bottom so the plenum area includes the sealed space between the 510 and atomizer bottom, then run a small hose from the map sensor up to a small hole in the 510 which draws from the sealed area. Then you get a vacuum signal with zero extra effort when installing/removing the atomizer
tongue.gif

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
New development based on a suggestion, self adjusting power level based on how hard you draw. Very much considering this for the test mule.

You're absolutely right, you could have it dynamically adjust power to airflow, you just need a tiny MAP or MAF to measure with. Actually really simple, as most are a linear 0-5v scale. I would think the best way would to be use the "track" pin on some of the dc-dc converters and use the analog out on the teensy so you can have the teensy generate the output voltage you want at low current, feed it to the dc/dc which will match "track" input to within 1% on some modules. No pot required at all, just a way of telling the teensy to increase or decrease the target "vape intensity", whatever arbitrary name you give it, via a button or knob or shake or whatever lol.

Went a step further, at first glance this looks promising, reading the data sheet now: http://cache.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/data_sheet/MPXV7025.pdf a quick google tells me humans can pull ~18 kpa, so the 25 kpa range on this is perfect
tongue.gif
I would envision a 510 connector on the box that is flat and then machine a groove around it about 5mm from the outer edge, put a oring in the groove. The atomizer you would drill a small hole into the bottom so the plenum area includes the sealed space between the 510 and atomizer bottom, then run a small hose from the map sensor up to a small hole in the 510 which draws from the sealed area. Then you get a vacuum signal with zero extra effort when installing/removing the atomizer
tongue.gif
Would that Still work if your atty doesnt get its airflow from the 510?

(sorry if that's a stupid question)

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's not a stupid question at all, I have never seen anyone even suggest what I am talking about. Nothing remotely close even exists as far as I know. Yes, it would still work if you dont get air from the 510, in fact, it would not work if it did get air from the 510. I'll have to do up a drawing to show what I mean, but any rebuildable tank with space in the bottom, like a kayfun 3.1, Taifun GT, Rose, or Expromizer will all work.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
Holy crap nerd alert! Dude, Arduino in a mod just got me all sorts of tingly inside. Strangely enough, I feel I'm rather technical and somewhat mechanically inclined I have a serious issue with soldering with any sort of cleanliness or precision. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am all about sharin' the love. Fast Tech has a bunch of them under $4.00. I am going to hold off buying anymore stuff till I see what I got. I have/have not, any idea of what I am doing. Hard remembering what I learned 40 + years ago. I still need a LCD for the OKR 20 should I buy one?

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm all about sharing the love. Fast Tech has them for under 4.00. Wish I knew if they would work on a box mod.

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Saddle,
I am sorry, I would love to help you, but, your posts are so fragmented I cannot decipher what you are actually asking me.

Fastech has a bunch of what for $4.00?

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
New screens arrived today for the smaller version I am developing. Measure 33x11.5x2mm and 128x32. Talk about a tiny ssd1306 oled!!

Now someday.... sometime.... someyear my femtoduino will arrive and I can actually build the miniaturized version!

After two of the 32x32x90 sized versions, I think I am going to do a Teensy 3.1 build in a 40x40x100 box, and go with retarded power output and implement some features I have not yet seen on the market I have stored in my noggin :p

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Man that stuff sounds crazy!! If you ever want someone to test things on i would be more than happy to volunteer!

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

doghead

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
About a year ago I thought about tinkering with an arduino.. Wasn't sure what for or why so I didn't. Now I still don't know what they are for and wish I did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saddle,
I am sorry, I would love to help you, but, your posts are so fragmented I cannot decipher what you are actually asking me.

Fastech has a bunch of what for $4.00?
I am sorry, my mind works much faster than my fingers. Might be the meds I have to take. I meant LCD screens. I am determined to build a Mod. I am going from zero knowledge to trying to do this.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Currently I am developing an open source arduino controlled power house of a mod. Code is shared and a basic hardware schematic is posted. I will not sell mods, but I am giving away all the knowledge needed to build one of these yourself.

Current feature set:
Watt displayed
Ohms of atomizer
5 presses - sleep mode
Voltage output controlled by knob for quick change (I hate pressing a button 999999 times)
Verified safe to 0.28 ohms, but should be safe down in the sub 0.1 range, testing pending

The key components are:
3wire mini-din socket

Then the other standard box mod stuff. On off switch the can do 3amps at 120 volts works great and is small. Any buttons works, no rating required.

See more here:
Awesome work was wondering if the arduino could be used in this capacity.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saddle,
I suggest reading the post by Mamu here http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic,1216.0.html
Then if you build one of those, move onto what I am doing, my post is a fairly thorough guide once you are familiar with building a mod.

Also, for mod building, the only things I would ever use from fastech is maybe boxes :p
Thanks! Yea, FT is low budget. As a surprise to me, everything I have ordered from them works so far. I am looking at Adruino. But it's too much like A.I. I am tired of stuff like that. Like TFT screens. Have ideas, but I'm a child as far as building such a build. My Evic gives me lots of info. I don't see the need to spend 160.00 on the Supreme. A Box Mod with a TFT screen would be cool.

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The problem with the screen is that you must use a micro controller to display all that data if you want to keep it in a portable size. Really, the only information that matters if you know your resistance of your coil is: Battery voltage, Atomizer Voltage. The rest is luxury. Even then, atomizer voltage is only an FYI item, just turn the knob to where you like it. Does it really matter how many watts/volts your using? Batteries ofc for safety reasons should be monitored in a regulated ecig because it is very easy to overdrain them (ask me how I know :p).

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The problem with the screen is that you must use a micro controller to display all that data if you want to keep it in a portable size. Really, the only information that matters if you know your resistance of your coil is: Battery voltage, Atomizer Voltage. The rest is luxury. Even then, atomizer voltage is only an FYI item, just turn the knob to where you like it. Does it really matter how many watts/volts your using? Batteries ofc for safety reasons should be monitored in a regulated ecig because it is very easy to overdrain them (ask me how I know :p).
I have the curse of "Over Engineering" things. I even know what the temp of my CPU in this computer is. I thought a 1.8 TFT in a box mod would look cool. I have an mp4 player with a TFT screen. Even plays movies. I am throwing out ideas. Light bulb. I have the room to mount the MP4 player in the box mod. A speaker jack on the side of it. It charges by micro hdmi. Hmmm.

TheDude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any new developments with this project? I think the idea of an open source box mod is intriguing...

So my question is are u going to post the software for your board? Id love to build one of these

Edit: went to read breaktrus forum. Thats wat I get for skimming posts. Pls disreguard.

I've been looking into building my first box and doing it the right way, and I'm glad somebody already has. I have to ask though, have you thought of implementing an 11.1v lipo battery? I'm looking into a larger box mod with a 2200mah RC battery and would love to use an arduino for it. Very interested in any advice you have, and if you have a dc-dc buck you recommend for that high input voltage that'll handle some beefy current if possible (I'm looking for 40A or so, can only find stuff around 20-25A ATM). Thanks!

Hi great project. I was thinking of making a vap mod like this too (hense I found this forum). Looks like you beat me to it :)

In measuring air speed isn't the real aim, to work out coil temp? Could this be done using the coils resistance in real time, or more correctly, it's working hot resistance relative to its cold not "working" one? I'm not sure of the resistance/temp curve of nichrome or kanthal wire so may not be feasible?

If this could work then you already have all the hardware to GO

OK to clarify, measuring wind/breath speed can be achieved by knowing the coil temp (faster = cooler) which can be measured by it's resistance which you already measure (in real time perhaps in micro pauses from heating if we can't do it during) so just some software tweaks and some feedback. this is even better than Watts since the coil won't over/under heat even if we suck harder/softer etc

Thus the temp of the ejuice is precisely controlled where it contacts the heating coil

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Arduino's in quad copters are pretty nice.

How hard would it be to hook up the circuit board for one of these mini blue tooth speakers, maybe setup a low battery reminder..and a 64gb flash drive.. might as well repurpose an old iPod touch

Current feature set:
Watt displayed
Ohms of atomizer
5 presses - sleep mode

The key components are:
3wire mini-din socket

See more here:
Hi there from a person in 2022, is there a possibility of some schematic and code for an Arduino Uno based vape mod?

VU Sponsors