Become a Patron!

Are Atlantis coils dangerous to your health? One vaper thinks so!

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Are Atlantis coils dangerous to your health? One vaper thinks so!

Derek Small: With the amount of air we are pulling through this small opening and the fact that this glass is much smaller in diameter than a human hair yes that is what I am saying. The first photo is 50x mag this glass is very very fine and could come dislodged even wet. And of course that potential increases as the coil ages and even more if you would get a dry hit.

Derek Small: Listen guys I have three of these tanks my self and love them. Of course now I am wicking mine with cotton. The reason I looked into this is because I was having some throat problems at first I said o well it is cold season. Then one day I left the Atlantis at home and took my dripper same juice the throat problem left up

First two pics Atlantis wick, last two cotton
Atlantis.jpg 10847932_10204880183951783_6169404818443621307_n.jpg 10169369_10204880185231815_6544463787620727664_n.jpg 10801660_10204880185951833_1607030121362607912_n.jpg

Last edited:

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone have throat issues since using these coils?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Up until about a year ago wasn't silica a primary source of wicking material?

Silica is in protank heads as well.

Lol, I remember using the old Kanger t2s and there was an inch of silica in each side of the tank floating in the juice.:eek:

You ever remember having to dump the juice to remove the slivers of wick? I do :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone have throat issues since using these coils?

i have.. and i think combined with my pg allergies.. yeps..
but i should have listened to my own advise and changed out the wick with cotton..

im better now but still a bit ruff ;)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Up until about a year ago wasn't silica a primary source of wicking material?

Silica is in protank heads as well.

Lol, I remember using the old Kanger t2s and there was an inch of silica in each side of the tank floating in the juice.:eek:

You ever remember having to dump the juice to remove the slivers of wick? I do :)

thing is.. this is a larger coil.. larger wick.. more surface..
breaking down and getting lodged into a throat doesn't feel good at all..
can be downright scary!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I still sometimes use cartos, protank v1's and an old iClear 30 with the huge silica wicks - guess I'm a goner. :D

Some people just WANT to find the worse in everything, IMO.

i dunno on that, Caff.. overly cautious, yes..
sometimes you need to be..

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I suppose, but hell, I used to smoke bare-ass RYO cigs...
How much loose tobacco particles have I accidentally inhaled unburnt over the years?

ewwwww!! :D :D yuck!! i have the ryo stuff.. but somehow i just can not do that..
i at least know how to make a filter if i don't have one :p but it is like pg to me..
tears my throat up something bad.. so i vape ;)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have been keeping my Atlantis at 30 watts and I have only ran about 7 tanks through the 1st coil so only time will tell.

In Phil Busardo's video he takes the material out of a new one and it falls apart in his hands.

Also the whole tank IS NOT 100% stainless steel. The inside center piece is chrome plated brass.

img_8619.jpg

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am loving the Atlantis, but the coils do give me a bit of bad throat and if I hit it hard, then makes me cough at times. I did build my own coil using japanese organic cotton and that did not cause me any throat problems, but it didn't vape as well though.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like another point for the Kanger Sub Tank since it appears to be solid stainless steel and uses Japanese cotton.

Busaudo's video on it yesterday was pretty impressive.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
:( Smokie, that is not good! did he not replace the stock cotton? :oops:

LucidiousRage

The "X Wick" Man!
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
Founding Vendor
VU Wholeseller
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I just put this reply on his FB thread as well, figured I'd copy/paste my assessment here as well...

Derek,

First of all, let me say that I APPRECIATE your dedication to finding a safe material for vapers, and at least going a little beyond general, uneducated statements of "well gee, dat chit is bad fer ya"... In short.. I appreciate that you have actually made an effort to put some science behind your statements and for taking the time to actually show your findings... My hat is off to you for making the effort.

There are some things that I would like to correct though, just to further the clarification of what your findings are, because unfortunately I feel that you were wrong in *some* of your assessments.

First, you stated in the video that "What your left with is these two squares of ceramic material" ... but then later in the thread go on to talk about the material as Silica. On this Atlantis coil, after examining the fibers and seeing the characteristics my assessment would be that this is actually a "high temp silica" product and NOT a ceramic based product.

As I understand from your own statements that you are familiar with silica, I would assume that you know there is a BIG difference between silica and ceramic, so I will guess that it was perhaps just a mistake of wording.

I don't like these wick pads that are in this device. To me, it looks like they are a blend of high temp silica along with a cotton blend. I would imagine they are using the cotton to bind the silica shards and for absorption purposes and using the silica to handle the heat. But, you're right in your assessment that once the cotton burns off, what do you have left? You have loose silica shards that could potentially be inhaled, in my assessment, this would not be good.

Another thing that you had said is that "silica has much bigger fibers" - I think you might have been confused or perhaps accidently got the two materials twisted around by accident. Silica shards measure between .5 and 3 microns in size and primary material is glass, whereas Ceramic fibers are measured on average between 7-13 microns in size (in the xc product which we properly treat and call "READYxWICK". A quick math on this would show that Ceramic particles are actually between 3 and 20 times LARGER than silica shards, not the other way around.

Since you work in an industry related to silica, I'm sure you are aware of why these #'s are important. In general, the scientific community feels that anything UNDER 5 microns in size is considered to be a "health risk" because they are small enough to penetrate flesh and soft tissue just by contact. So silica which comes in between .5 and 3 microns in size are ALL under that 5 micron size threshold which has been determined, hence making high temp or regular silica somewhat of a health risk. (I say somewhat loosely, in my opinion I would say highly, but I'm being conservative). This is what makes a product such as "READYxWICK" so nice. Its particle sizes are between 7-13 microns, most of which are between 10-12, which is more than DOUBLE the size threshold of concern.

Also, you hit on an important key element of WHY we properly treat our material (READYxWICK) before we ever ship any out. Our treatment process includes heating this material in high end precise digitally controlled kilns at temperatures reaching nearly 2,000 degrees in a heat treatment process that lasts over 24 hours. This process burns off any of those "organic" compounds, chems, and elements which could otherwise be inhaled into your lungs during a vape, leaving ONLY material which is bonded together and can handle the heat without breakdown.

That brings up another point I'd like to address from your video and your posts that I would like you to consider...

Just because there are particles left over after a "burn off" does not mean that you are inhaling them. In the case of THIS wick that is inside the Atlantis, I WOULD agree with your assessment of it not being good because of the chance of inhaling the particles, because the material that they are using to bond them together is cotton. I'm sorry, but that just doesn't seem smart... why would you bond a high temp resistant material in shards with a material that will burn away after a few harsh dry hits...?

My GUESS would be, because they are smart enough to know that once that happens, and the head breaks down, the user will need to replace it, creating additional sales and NOT giving a crap about the vapers health. This part, drives me NUTS.

I will also say, that I DON'T like the idea of sucking into my lungs the byproducts of burnt off cotton. I understand what your argument about them being "organic" but the fact is, organic or not, we were not meant to suck down fumes of burnt off cotton into our lungs on a daily basis, but this rarely gets press because cotton is such a standard in vaping. That said, cotton is a Million times better than Silica, but in my opinion, cotton vs a product such as READYxWICK which is made of Ceramic compounds, there is no question that readyxwick is more safe. Cotton burns out within 1-14 days whereas there have been man records of a SINGLE wick of READYxWICK has lasted in daily vaping devices for over a YEAR... why is this important? Simple, it means that the material ISN'T breaking down at anywhere near the rate of other materials such as cotton or silica. (if it were, there wouldn't be anything left at all of it anywhere even close to a year).

As far as the Atlantis coils, I believe them to be "high temp silica" blended with cotton. As you may know with your work with silica, high temp silica is actual the "alternative" to its more durable brother "ceramic" material. Silica is made of glass, ceramic is made of ceramic. High temp silica CAN be exported outside of the USA, whereas ceramic XC based material can NOT be, which again goes to the assessment of this material actually being silica and NOT ceramic.

Like I said in the beginning though, I DO appreciate your efforts to put more science behind your claims and will ALWAYS support those who attempt to do so. I would love to work with you in regards to these assessments and would be happy to donate my time to helping your research.

Thank you for taking the time to do these tests and for caring enough to go beyond empty claims and actually trying to back up your findings with science, but please be careful to make sure that your findings are accurate before fully referring to them as scientific assessments (which I know you haven't done yet).

Good work on this, thank you for bringing this important topic to light!

3fa85da31b53f15ab11b7a2fb9f72032.jpg

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have had my Aspire Atlantis + the two coils that came with mine & a 5 pkg. of replacement coils for about 3-4 weeks . I am just now getting around to using it . Thanks for the warning of possible dangers ! After I have used mine for maybe two weeks , I'll re-port my findings ! I also have the traditional Aspire Nautilus & a Silo RBA . I love the ladder two mentioned ! I use the cellucotton & Japanese cotton wicking material on my RDA's as long as I keep the wicking mat'l saturated which I do I have never, knock on wood, had a dry hit . This is a very interesting topic to me & one that I will keep my eyes on !!!

And this is the Atlantis wicking material again at 50x and 15x. I had my boss look at both of these materials he is a PhD in ceramics. His conclusion is that the readyx wick is 6-8 microns in size and the Atlantis wicking material is 1-3 micron in size. Now 5 micron and below is the danger zone. Also keep in mind the correct way to get a particle size is with a electron scanning microscope or to have a control with a known particle size. My boss is going off of his years of experience as our scanning scope is off limits unless it is work related, they are extremely expensive to run and maintain.
4787aadf0fbda5df5faf3aaef558d963.jpg

6e257b665e2fb7b9b802c6fb08c86f95.jpg

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I've included a pic of ReadyX wick at eleventy bazillion X magnification

As you can see, it is quite safe.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
This is why I refuse to vape a coil/wick combination that I did not build myself. With that said....WHY OH WHY spend the time and expense...and time......and more time.....rebuilding something that was not designed to be rebuilt? Wanna rebuild something? Get a bloody rba.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I've rebuilt an aspire Nautilus head with 22 Gauge Kanthal, comes in at .38 Ohms. Wrapped it in a strip of Japanese cotton, it works and works better than the original IMHO. No NR-R-NR wire, just straight 22 gauge wrapped in a traditional vertical macro-coil. The heads are extremely easy to rebuild.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This is why I refuse to vape a coil/wick combination that I did not build myself. With that said....WHY OH WHY spend the time and expense...and time......and more time.....rebuilding something that was not designed to be rebuilt? Wanna rebuild something? Get a bloody rba.

The Kanger Subtank is really looking like a winner for those who want to start learning how to rebuild.
You can try what you rebuild in the exact same tank with the exact same juice that you are running your fill and vape in.
When you end up with better flavor and vapor production (than the kanger coil) you know you did a good job rebuilding.

aussie

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
I always knew this would be an issue it was just a matter of time cotton, ready X or hemp FTW

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im stuck on my RDA's now, i use cellucotton most of the time, once in a while i will use organic cotton, but I prefer the Rayon. I don't think I could use a prebuilt coil anymore, just for the fact I don't know what is inside and can't keep an eye on it.

pdxjlb

Member For 4 Years
Well, I've rebuilt an aspire Nautilus head with 22 Gauge Kanthal, comes in at .38 Ohms. Wrapped it in a strip of Japanese cotton, it works and works better than the original IMHO. No NR-R-NR wire, just straight 22 gauge wrapped in a traditional vertical macro-coil. The heads are extremely easy to rebuild.
Zamazam could you take the time to explain the process of rebuilding that you're using? And how to make your vertical macro-coil? Or link a video?
Thank you! Happy Holidays.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
*sigh*

Here we go again with that old canard.

Firstly, the silica used in silica wicks is *amorphous* silica, not the crystaline silica that causes silicosis.
Secondly, wet fibers don't go flying around in people's lungs.

This myth has been debunked already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Zamazam could you take the time to explain the process of rebuilding that you're using? And how to make your vertical macro-coil? Or link a video?
Thank you! Happy Holidays.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I have wrote to Aspire about the Dangers of the Atlantis coils. You can also write them too! Here is what I wrote:

After seeing microscope views of your Atlantis coils we found that they are very dangerous to inhale. Shards of glass silica break off with inhaling into your lungs which can lead to a fatal lung disease. You need to rework these coils using organic or Japanese cotton instead like Kanger tech has done with their sub tank. We are personally holding you responsible, and liable for any lung illness that occurs with the use of these. Let this serve as a warning, and legal acknowledgement that you are now aware of this dangerous substance you are selling.

Stephen Mad

CLICK HERE TO WRITE ASPIRE: http://www.aspirecig.com/contact/
Capture.JPG

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I have wrote to Aspire about the Dangers of the Atlantis coils. You can also write them too! Here is what I wrote:

After seeing microscope views of your Atlantis coils we found that they are very dangerous to inhale. Shards of glass silica break off with inhaling into your lungs which can lead to a fatal lung disease. You need to rework these coils using organic or Japanese cotton instead like Kanger tech has done with their sub tank. We are personally holding you responsible, and liable for any lung illness that occurs with the use of these. Let this serve as a warning, and legal acknowledgement that you are now aware of this dangerous substance you are selling.

Stephen Mad

CLICK HERE TO WRITE ASPIRE: http://www.aspirecig.com/contact/
View attachment 10937

thanks Smokie.. my throat is still all torn up :(
it's better now, but wow.. what a bummer..

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
here is the link that smokie posted.
www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000134.htm
here is a link to amorphous silica.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0552.html
and here is a link to hot chicks with not much clothing.
http://sneakhype.com/chicas/2013/07/32-random-hot-chicks.html
here is link to kfc's menu
http://www.kfc.com/food/chicken/
here is a link to help understanding quantum mechanics
http://www.pbs.org/transistor/science/info/quantum.html
here is a link on how to post links
http://www.echoecho.com/htmllinks01.htm
here is a link to cute cats with a sweater
http://catswearingsweaters.tumblr.com/
here is a link for the best forum in the universe.
http://www.vapingunderground.com
here is a smile
:D
here is an empty line where other links could have gone.

here is the end of this post.
END.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
*sigh*

Here we go again with that old canard.

Firstly, the silica used in silica wicks is *amorphous* silica, not the crystaline silica that causes silicosis.
Secondly, wet fibers don't go flying around in people's lungs.

Debunked by who these are new coils that contains chopped up silica with a cotton cover compressed that vapers sub ohm with great air flow. I believe it is a big health concern, they need to use another type of material. Maybe strand silica instead so it will not fall apart as being chopped up does. And yes there have been reports of vapers getting silica particles in their mouth on some inhales plus a lot of throat issues.

Delion

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@SMOKIE Just a thank you to you and the VU Team and for the amazing discussion on this very thing last night on Mod Envy, in the end it comes down to the fact I would rather be safe then sorry in the end, so I followed the links posted in the show last night and rebuilt all my atlantis heads last night, then tried one, and I must admit I like them a lot better now then when I had originally used them, thank you and the team!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Last edited by a moderator: Yesterday at 9:24 PM

Edited eh? Well well, what a surprise...

Have fun with your new thread Smokie. I'm out of here - don't even know why I replied, I really should know better.

L

Lighty269

Have fun with your new thread Smokie. I'm out of here - don't even know why I replied, I really should know better.

Trying not to start any trouble, but;

I also now have some concerns...

If these are as bad as Smokie is saying in this thread and he may be right.

I just want to know why he sold some and posted a 5 pack of these same coils for sale today?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

This is a thread about a coil not attacking someones character. And yes you should know better

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have the atlantis, but not taking chances with the wicking, I am re-wicking them before using a new coil with organic japanese cotton, planned to re-build them anyway, so not a big deal to me, but not good for others who can't though.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Trying not to start any trouble, but;

I also now have some concerns...

If these are as bad as Smokie is saying in this thread and he may be right.

I just want to know why he sold some and posted a 5 pack of these same coils for sale today?

they can be recoiled and rewicked to be safer..

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
they can be recoiled and rewicked to be safer..
This! Mike at 510 Vapers is teaching his regulars how to build them a'la Taifun with horizontal single coil in kanthal and Japanese cotton.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This! Mike at 510 Vapers is teaching his regulars how to build them a'la Taifun with horizontal single coil in kanthal and Japanese cotton.

I just did one like this way for the 1st time tonight, wanted to make it to change wick easier, it might need breaking in, but it is not as flavorful as the horizontal coil at the moment.

VU Sponsors