Become a Patron!

Are Metals Emitted from Electronic Cigarettes a Reason for Health Concern? A Risk-Assessment Analysi

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Are Metals Emitted from Electronic Cigarettes a Reason for Health Concern? A Risk-Assessment Analysis of Currently Available Literature

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4454963/

Methods: Two studies were found in the literature, measuring metals emitted to the aerosol from 13 EC products.
We estimated that users take on average 600 EC puffs per day, but we evaluated the daily exposure from 1200 puffs.
Estimates of exposure were compared with the chronic Permissible Daily Exposure (PDE) from inhalational medications defined by the U.S. Pharmacopeia (cadmium, chromium, copper, lead and nickel), the Minimal Risk Level (MRL) defined by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (manganese) and the Recommended Exposure Limit (REL) defined by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (aluminum, barium, iron, tin, titanium, zinc and zirconium).
Results: The average daily exposure from 13 EC products was 2.6 to 387 times lower than the safety cut-off point of PDEs, 325 times lower than the safety limit of MRL and 665 to 77,514 times lower than the safety cut-off point of RELs.
Only one of the 13 products was found to result in exposure 10% higher than PDE for one metal (cadmium) at the extreme daily use of 1200 puffs.

5. Conclusions
In conclusion, the levels of metals emitted to the EC aerosol, as found in currently available literature, are unlikely to generate significant adverse health effects for smokers switching to EC use. However, discrepancies between products indicate that standards in product quality should be implemented in order further reduce unnecessary exposure to metals.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
In other words next time you hear/read about some know it all asshole bitching about vaping and "heavy metals" and/or "ultrafine particles" link them to this study then tell them to eat a bag of dicks - 5150

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
would be interesting how much metal [ if any ] comes from drinking from a can of coke.
I think the insides of metal cans are lined with a very thin layer of plastic, so BPA is probably a bigger worry than metals.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Only one of the 13 products was found to result in exposure 10% higher than PDE for one metal (cadmium) at the extreme daily use of 1200 puffs.
Makes me wonder what the source of that cadmium is. Cadmium is actually pretty bad stuff, and there shouldn't be any significant source of it in quality vape gear.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Makes me wonder what the source of that cadmium is. Cadmium is actually pretty bad stuff, and there shouldn't be any significant source of it in quality vape gear.

Cadmium is a metal used in batteries, pigments, coatings and plastics. It exists in air as oxide, sulfate and chloride particles, with 5%–50% absorbed to the body through inhalation [25]. It is present in the soil and is highly absorbed by the tobacco plants, with subsequent exposure to smokers. Studies examining the toxicity of cadmium in workers have identified the respiratory tract and the kidney as sensitive targets of toxicity. Impaired lung function was reported in several studies [26,27], while other studies have not found any significant alterations [28]. According to the International Agency of Research on Cancer (IARC), cadmium is a known human carcinogen (Group 1) [29]. The average (EC01–EC12) levels of exposure from 1200 EC puffs were found to be 2.6 times lower compared to chronic PDE from licensed inhalational medications. Only one sample (EC06) was found to result in daily exposure 10% higher than PDE, while in four samples (EC04, EC07, EC09 and EC12) the levels were similar to background environmental air levels

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
whatever ec06 was it shouldn't be on the market.
I'll dig deeper when i get home to try to see if the study being quoted has a brand name and model.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

Check out what "EC06" is/was and see how WE have nothing to worry about: - 5150

NIHMS624084-supplement-Suppl_Fig_1.jpeg

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
would be interesting how much metal [ if any ] comes from drinking from a can of coke.

Buy Glass beverages in bottles.. I'd worry more about the water used to make the coke or coming from the faucet. Them pipes is getting old.

VU Sponsors