Become a Patron!

Are there any mods like the OG VooPoo drag?

kloudz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm still rocking the old but reliable VooPoo drag version 1 and it has seen some tough times but keeps on giving out solid performance tank after tank.
My question is, what mods are out there that have the metal battery housing and simple 3 button operation?
I've seen some big screen box mods that wouldn't last a week in my possession and some goofy designed miss as well. Looking for a classic fit box mod that's dual 18650 and simple

Attachments

• 20210122_103744.jpg
    20210122_103744.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210122_103751.jpg
    20210122_103751.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210122_103811.jpg
    20210122_103811.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 11

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have quite a few mods, including I think three OG Drags, and I can't think of a single one of the others that has the heft and sturdiness of the Drag, with a similar design in a metal housing. That Drag is built like a brick.

Geekvape made the Nova, Voopoo made the Drag 2, and iJoy made the Shogun Univ. They're all decent mods and have metal housings, at least one resin door, and magnets holding the door on, but none of them feel as resilient as the original Drag. I think people had high hopes for the Drag 2, but it just didn't measure up. Lots of rattling doors, and just doesn't have the fit and finish of the original. Several other Drag models have come out recently (Drag S, X, Max) and I think the Drag 3 is about to be released, but I don't think any of them are particularly designed for durability. I love the Drag X, but I wouldn't count on it to hold up well under duress.

There are several other lines that were designed for durability, like the VV Jackaroo and GV's Aegis lines, but the design elements are totally different. They are super durable, though, and vape well (I can vouch for most of the Aegis models, and others here in the forum have had very positive comments about the Jackaroo).

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

kloudz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for your reply.
That's the problem I'm finding is that most mods are replaceable within a month and never last. I've had mine for 4 years and I can't find anything like it.
Hope other people have suggestions

Hype

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The O G Drags have a HUGE amount of testicular fortitude my man . I would venture to say that at that price point the contenders are VERY , VERY few .

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Although I own a few of the Drags, Another tough Mod is the Limitless LMC.
Mine have been going for a long time now and like the Drag, never a problem with them.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Are the buttons on the Aegis Legend plastic or metal?

I believe on the Legend they are metal. Mine is packed up right now, though, so I can't swear to it. It's also an old one, and I wouldn't swear that GV hasn't changed the material.

I have two Aegis Max units sitting here, and their buttons are plastic.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing beats the original drag in my opinion. I've had mine since release and it is hands down the best budget mod. I hate all these flashy mods that he released or silly touch screen ones. I love my ipv mods though

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another long time Drag owner here. It’s been my primary dripping mod for a long time and it still looks new.

Cosmic

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I know what you mean about the OG Drag mod, have 2, they still work and still look great. Got them in silver so didn't have to worry about peeling pain. One recent mod you might consider, which is all metal, has a good heft and built like a tank is the Epro Nebelfee Cold Steel 200w mod, been very happy with mine.

kloudz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad I'm not the only one who still loves the old bricks. All these new mods that I look at have the battery door on the bottom and have the look of cheap plastic. I tried to look up the nebelfree mod and it looks like it's been discontinued.

Cosmic

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep, just went looking for it and can't find it anywhere now....found mine on Eciggity on sale like 8 months ago. Shame that is.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Who me? The unofficial Athena sales person? Would I eva do such a thang? *nodding* Nope, not me. :D

Disclaimer & integrity check: No, I do not hawk any products, period. I am joking above.
Hahaha. If I wasn't getting the lunar I'd got one but I'm not one for collecting anymore! However... I do sometimes get the same tank an pack it away for if they get discontinued. I'm not exactly worried about a Kayfun v5 breaking though haha

I'm still rocking the old but reliable VooPoo drag version 1 and it has seen some tough times but keeps on giving out solid performance tank after tank.
My question is, what mods are out there that have the metal battery housing and simple 3 button operation?
I've seen some big screen box mods that wouldn't last a week in my possession and some goofy designed miss as well. Looking for a classic fit box mod that's dual 18650 and simple

I would say the new Voopoo DRAG 3 fits the bill:

voopoo_drag_3_177w_mod_kit_comingsoon.jpg

kloudz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would say the new Voopoo DRAG 3 fits the bill:

voopoo_drag_3_177w_mod_kit_comingsoon.jpg
It would be cool without the leather, I have dirty hands most of the time while rebuilding engines in my off time and driving a semi for full-time. Plus it's silly tall, taller than the original by 30mm

It would be cool without the leather, I have dirty hands most of the time while rebuilding engines in my off time and driving a semi for full-time. Plus it's silly tall, taller than the original by 30mm

The suede/alcantara ones yeah, I could see the problem. It would get dirty really fast. But they do have several models with "normal" / glossy leather, the ones with the black hardware instead of silver, which I think will hold up better to hand oils. On their website it's says only "leather", so it might be real leather? I haven't seen anybody put a knife under the so called "leather", so we don't know for sure.

Capture.PNG

As for the height, I believe the 138mm stated height on their website includes the included TPP pod tank. The real height of the mod is very similar to the original Drag at less than 90mm, judging by the photos, assuming they're to scale:

drag 1 vs drag 3.PNG

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'd use the mod but not the pod. Can't stand pods. Such shitty refilling mechanism haha

In this particular case, you'd be missing out, if the tank is anything like the Drag X/S/Max tank. Voopoo's PNP coils and the RTA are both really great (although the RBA is rubbish). It's also neat how you can use the base for either a tank or an RTA, and you have one set of pieces that can fit either a device with a 510 connector or the magnetic attachment that's used on the Drag X/S/Max and the Voopoo Argus GT.

The PNP coils I've used have also lasted an incredibly long time. Matter of fact, I have yet to have to change one, and it's been months.

However, in my mind none of these devices would be suitable for the needs of the OP. They are NOT built like the OG Drag.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In this particular case, you'd be missing out, if the tank is anything like the Drag X/S/Max tank. Voopoo's PNP coils and the RTA are both really great (although the RBA is rubbish). It's also neat how you can use the base for either a tank or an RTA, and you have one set of pieces that can fit either a device with a 510 connector or the magnetic attachment that's used on the Drag X/S/Max and the Voopoo Argus GT.

The PNP coils I've used have also lasted an incredibly long time. Matter of fact, I have yet to have to change one, and it's been months.

However, in my mind none of these devices would be suitable for the needs of the OP. They are NOT built like the OG Drag.
I actually love the pnp coils and I own a drag X and drag s. I just am not that keen on the filling system but the flavour off them coils is great. I like the 0.3 coils at 30 watts :)

kloudz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The suede/alcantara ones yeah, I could see the problem. It would get dirty really fast. But they do have several models with "normal" / glossy leather, the ones with the black hardware instead of silver, which I think will hold up better to hand oils. On their website it's says only "leather", so it might be real leather? I haven't seen anybody put a knife under the so called "leather", so we don't know for sure.

View attachment 177154

As for the height, I believe the 138mm stated height on their website includes the included TPP pod tank. The real height of the mod is very similar to the original Drag at less than 90mm, judging by the photos, assuming they're to scale:

View attachment 177155
It looks cool but the battery door seems silly, why put a sliding door on the bottom that can easily open, I'd be losing my batteries all the time everytime I lifted my mod. I think they should have left the magnetic battery door in my opinion.

VU Sponsors