Are these batteries safe?

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a L-Rider Corolla Mech Mod
9Gk9z5E.jpg

The instructions specifically say to only use protected batteries. Well, me being me, I accidentally bought unprotected batteries.
fcZn9er.jpg

Can I still use these in my mod or should I get some protected batteries?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a L-Rider Corolla Mech Mod
9Gk9z5E.jpg

The instructions specifically say to only use protected batteries. Well, me being me, I accidentally bought unprotected batteries.
fcZn9er.jpg

Can I still use these in my mod or should I get some protected batteries?
What does your common sense tell you??

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its not wise to use unprotected batteries, some folks take that chance. I never suggest using unprotected.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
none of my batteries are protected. I use only sony VTC3 and VTC4. unprotected batteries only.
Yes but the Sony's are safe chemistry IMR or in the case of the VTC5 a safe chemistry hybrid. These Panasonics are not suitable for unregulated or unprotected use.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just curious, what batteries do you suggest.

btw it's been old information to use unprotected batteries in the any mod. so i'm curious what batteries do you suggest.
Would my suggestions make any difference to you?
Its NOT old information, especially when a set of instructions to a Mod/PV today still come saying "Please use protected Batteries only"
Are you suggesting we all use unprotected?

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would my suggestions make any difference to you?
Its NOT old information, especially when a set of instructions to a Mod/PV today still come saying "Please use protected Batteries only"
Are you suggesting we all use unprotected?
actually yes I am suggesting using safe chemistry unprotected batteries in all mods.

I'm just curious what protected batteries you are referring too.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And I say, to each his own.
I opt for Protected and when asked, that is what I will suggest:)
Have a good one~

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was always under the impression and told that protected batteries were a no no in a mech and that you could use them in regulated mods, but it was redundant because the boards were protection and unless you felt you had to have the piece of mind with two protective aspects, they were not worth the extra money. I still have a bunch of the gray cgr 18650 I use those down to .9 and I have two vtc4 for lower builds.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was always under the impression and told that protected batteries were a no no in a mech and that you could use them in regulated mods, but it was redundant because the boards were protection and unless you felt you had to have the piece of mind with two protective aspects, they were not worth the extra money. I still have a bunch of the gray cgr 18650 I use those down to .9 and I have two vtc4 for lower builds.
100% true

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have always found it sound thinking to use what the manufacturer recommends.

And I would ALWAYS use protected batteries in a MECH mod.

Possibly because I am allergic to having my face burnt off it something goes wrong!

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Possibly because I am allergic to having my face burnt off it something goes wrong!
what batteries do you suggest?

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

There issue with protected batteries in a mech is how they vent, or in the case of a protected cell how they dont. If they do fail, they don't gas, they go boom. If a battery fails in a mech, you're better off with a safe chemical battery. If you want the protection, a vape safe type fuse is the way to go. With a unprotected batter paired with it.

Better to have a battery gas than vape a pipe bomb. Jmo though, to each their own.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In 18650, in a mech mod, I am using 40 AMP high drain VAMPED batteries.
In a 26650, in a mech, I am using EFEST 50 AMP high drains.
Neither are protected cells.

I never build below .4 ohms either.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In 18650, in a mech mod, I am using 40 AMP high drain VAMPED batteries.
In a 26650, in a mech, I am using EFEST 50 AMP high drains.
Neither are protected cells.

I never build below .4 ohms either.

How are the vamped batteries? They are cheap compared to Sony.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
How are the vamped batteries? They are cheap compared to Sony.
Well, in my 18650, I started with Samsung 30 Amp protected batteries. They sucked, IMO. Cold vape from them and took a second or two to make vape.

I have only been using the VAMPED 40 Amps for a few days, but HUGE improvement. They hit good like my Efests do in the 26650 mechs.

When I bought the Vamped batteries it was a toss up for them and the Efest 35 amps. Efest was cheaper, but I am VERY happy with the Vamped batteries.

I'd buy vamped again.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, in my 18650, I started with Samsung 30 Amp protected batteries. They sucked, IMO. Cold vape from them and took a second or two to make vape.

I have only been using the VAMPED 40 Amps for a few days, but HUGE improvement. They hit good like my Efests do in the 26650 mechs.

When I bought the Vamped batteries it was a toss up for them and the Efest 35 amps. Efest was cheaper, but I am VERY happy with the Vamped batteries.

I'd buy vamped again.

I checked 101vape. They sold them for 7.99 but they don't have them on their site now.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Bought mine on EBay for 21.50 a pair. Shipping included. Paid more than you are looking at though.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to know what protected batteries people are using. This is completely new news to me and I have been vaping over 5 years. Has there been some break thru in protected cells that can handle up to 30 amp?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I want to know what protected batteries people are using. This is completely new news to me and I have been vaping over 5 years. Has there been some break thru in protected cells that can handle up to 30 amp?
Samsung is what I run in my Sig 100 watt box.

30 amp protected batteries.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Both Efest and Vamped are both rewrapped batteries.
Neither company actually makes the batteries.
They buy old stock cells cheap and wrap their name on them.

VAMPED 40 Amp:

"I'd been using these for a couple of weeks now. Unlike some I know - I rather enjoy the Vamps performance.
Lots of speculation surrounding these batteries, so I decided to just talk to Vamp. Here's their reply.

Thanks for your email. To give you a little insight on the battery, we are working with one of the largest manufacturer in China and had the Vamped Vapor Cell custom made to reach 40 amps. The manufacturer produces millions of batteries for other large name brand batteries. They developed the custom cell for me, and will not release it for anyone else. My manufacturer has told me we have the strongest 18650 battery on the market at 40 amps, and they have not developed anything stronger for anyone.
When it comes to 40 amp discharge and 20 amp continuous, this is referring to an average pulse rate of 60 seconds. If you hold your button down for longer than 60 seconds the amps will drop to 20. For an average vaper, a pull is no longer than 60 seconds, so the amps will continue to remain at 40 amps. This is everything that we were told from our manufacturer. I hope this can answer some of your questions. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kyle Winther
Chief Executive Officer"

These are the vamped cells, they state "General Performance of Vamped 40 Amp Battery" towards the bottom

http://www.sz-worldsales.com/goods-...37v+Most+Powerful+mechanical+mod+battery.html

Efest 26650:

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...tvec/efest_does_it_again_purple_26650_vastly/

Other info:

"I Googled Efest 26650 3500mah battery and got this: Efest IMR 26650 3500mAh battery with flat top, 3.7V for big mods with only a 20 amp continuous rating.

Same battery, different vendor, different amp rating: 26650 Efest 3500mAh IMR26650 High Discharge Flat Top with only 15 amps continuous.

The purple variety, again different vendors with different amp ratings:

http://efestpower.com/Product/123409115.html 32 amp continuous, 64 amp pulse

http://www.vapeking.com.au/efest-pur...r-battery-64a/ This vendor claims 64 amps continuous.
Funny yet scarey at the same time.

Efest IMR 26650 LiMn 3500mAh Battery - Flat Top - 32Amp with a 32 amp rating, but not specific about whether it is the continuous discharge rate or the pulse discharge rate. Big difference between the two specifications. The continuous rating is generally the more reliable rating used by most people in the battery industry.

As you can see, Efest's battery specifications can be all over the board. Some people trust them....I don't

Personally, if you feel safe using an Efest, I'd only build down to 0.4 ohms for some safe headroom."

Other Efest info:

"Efest are at it again - 3100 mAh 20 amp actually 4amp rated (6.5 Pulse) Panasonic
Just had a heads up from a community across the pond on the latest Efest scandal, after the 2500 mah's were falsely rated for 30amps.

Taken from the article -
"EFEST recurred, this time more dangerous, labelling its 3100mAh battery continuous discharge 20A, thus supporting theoretically securely 0.25 ohm resistance. Dampfakku showed that these Efest Purple 20A are actually Panasonic continuous discharge cells supporting 4A (!) And maximum (and therefore for a short time), 6.4 A. The limit for the resistors in order to vaper safely with these batteries is not 0.25 ohm but above 0.8ohm ... what makes a big difference. The cells used by EFEST 3100mAh "20A" are those of Panasonic NCR18650BE"

Link to the article - https://translate.google.com/transla...s%2F&sandbox=1

Stay safe people, if you're sub ohming only settle for VTC4/5's!

And what the original post I got wind of this from said -
"I can't remember if this was previously posted for the 2500mAh or 3100mAh purple Efest batteries, but I'll post again in the interest of safety.Turns out Efest is once again labelling their rewrapped batteries with dangerous amp limits (even worse than the 2500mAh ones!) They're claiming their 3100mAh (purple) 18650's are rated for 20A, which is absolute bullshit. DampfAkkus has tested them and found they are only rated for 4A continuous/6.5 pulsed max discharge! Once again, the purple Efest 3100mAh batteries are not 20A batteries, they're 4A/6.5A max! Efest is notorious for playing a bit fast and loose with their battery specs after they rewrap them, but this is probably the most dangerous thing they've ever done! Apparently these particular cells are rewrapped Panasonic NCR18650BE's."

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I am not saying the Vamped batteries are bad because they aren't.
But you need to build considering the CONTINUOUS amp rating only which is 20 amps
People sometime see 60 amp pulse so they think it's cool to build down to .07.
That 60 amps will pulse for a few seconds only.
If you build to 20 amps you can hold the button down on the mod until the battery fully drains and it will not vent.

That guy who builds to the 60 amp pulse rating is fucked if the mods' button accidentally stays pressed down in his pocket for 10 seconds because when he finally does notice he fucked up and pulls it out and it's swollen too much to unscrew the cap then BOOM goes the dynamite!!!

Like that asshole at Vapeblast 2 that threw a venting mod on the ground in the center of a large crowd of people and ran off like a little bitch without warning anyone. - BOOM went the dynamite!!!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
... But I am saying I DO NOT TRUST EFEST CELLS!
Because they lie about the batteries ratings.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't care who makes their batteries, so long as they do what they are supposed to do.

"rewrapped old batteries" and "Specially made for us" are not even the same.

If Efest were in fact rewrapping crappy Panasonic's and labeling them MUCH higher than they really are rated for, we would be hearing of many catastrophic failures and class action lawsuits.

I personally trust the Vamped 40 amps, as well as Efest batteries. The Samsung's too. But like anything else, caveat emptor. I have a pair of Samsung's that are light blue, touted as "high drain, high power vape batteries" that are NOT. Junk is what they are. Those I can about bet my last dollar, are truly rewrapped stateside. No import sticker, like on the other Samsungs.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Vamped aren't 'old' rewrapped batteries. They are new rewrapped batteries:

http://www.sz-worldsales.com/goods-...37v Most Powerful mechanical mod battery.html

Product Description
New EFAN 40AMP IMR 18650 2000mAh 3.7v Most Powerful mechanical mod battery :
40 Amp Cell
2000 mAh
Most Powerful mechanical mod battery

Always use caution when using a sub ohm atomizer and a 40 amp battery. Proceed with caution.

Vamped batteries are only to be used in a safe and controlled manner.

ItemSpecifications
4.1Typical Capacity2030mAh @ 0.2C Discharge
Minimum capacity2000mAh @ 0.2C Discharge
4.2Nominal voltage3.7V
4.3Standard ChargeCC/CV,0.2C5A, 4.20V
4.4Standard DischargeCC,0.2C5A, 3.00V
4.5End-of-charge Voltage4.20V±0.05V
4.6End-of-charge Current0.01 C5A (At CV mode)
4.7End-of-discharge Voltage3.00 V
4.8Charging Time8.0hours(standard charge)
4.9Quick Charge Current2000mA (1.0 C5 rate)1C charge
4.10Quick Discharge Current20A (10.0 C5 rate)10C Discharge
4.11Max Discharge Current40A (20.0 C5 rate)20C Discharge
4.12Initial ImpedanceMax:18mΩ
4.13WeightApprox:40.0±2g
4.14Operating temperatureCharging: 0℃~45℃Discharging:-20℃~60℃
4.15Storage temperature-5℃~35℃
4.16Storage Humidity≤75% RH
4.17AppearanceWithout scratch, distortion, contamination and leakage
4.18Standard environmental conditionTemperature) : 25±5℃Humidity : 45-75%RHAtmospheric Pressure) : 86-106 KPA
4.19Temperature Dependence of Discharge Capacity@ 0.2C Discharge
Charge temperatureDischarge temperature
25℃-10℃0℃15℃25℃40℃
Relative Capacity50%80%90%100%80%
40 Amp 18650 Battery Specification
General Performance of Vamped 40 Amp Battery

ItemTest Methods and ConditionCriteria
5.10.2C CapacityAfter standard charging, rest battery for 10min, then discharging at 0.2C to voltage 3.0V, recording the discharging time.≥300min
5.2Cycle LifeConstant current 0.5C charge to 4.2V, then constant voltage charge to current declines to 0.01C, rest 10min,constant current 0.5C discharge to 3.0V,rest 10min. Repeat above steps till continuously discharging capacity Higher than 80% of the Initial Capacities of the Cells≥300 times
5.3Capability of keeping electricity20±5℃, After standard charging, rest the battery 28days, discharging at 0.2C to voltage 3.0V, recording the discharging

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
As for efest.
I just can't trust a company that puts the one second pulse rating in big letters on the label like it's a continuous rating.
That's grimey as hell and people see "efest 35 amp" and don't know it's 20 amp continuous.
I can't trust a battery (rewrapper) company that uses those type of tactics to sell batteries.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
As you can see with Vamped: "Shop price: $4.89"
That's a pretty big markup for a fancy "competition" battery wrapper.

VU Sponsors