Become a Patron!

Aspire Cleito 120 vs Exo Review by KingPin!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi Folks,
According to Greek mythology “Cleito” was the mother of Atlas, the first king of “Atlantis” (which also happens to be a former tank in the Aspire family line). Whilst it’s no secret Aspire have achieved success with the Cleitos, I have wanted to put these through their paces for some time, to see if they do indeed live up to their reputation. Aspire sent the tanks through and I purchased the aftermarket items in this review.

As usual I don’t like to make recommendations so consider this a collection of my thoughts and findings to bolster your research should you be interested in either of these. I know they’ve been out for a while now but reviews don’t always have to be about the new shiny stuff.

So what stock items do you get with the Cleito Exo?
  • x1 Cleito EXO tank (0.16 TPD compliant coil pre-installed, Kanthal 60-100W)
  • x1 Spare Cleito EXO Coil (0.4 40-60w, Kanthal)
  • x1 Spare Drip Tip.
  • x2 Additional 0-rings.
  • x1 Warranty Card.
  • x1 User Manual.
What about the Cleito 120?
  • x1 Aspire Cleito 120w Tank.
  • X2 Cleito Coils (0.16ohm Kanthal, 60-120W).
  • x1 User Manual.
  • x1 Warranty Card
  • x1 Aspire Vape Band
There is no RBA section with either, and no spare glass section with the 120. These days it pretty standard to provide a decent amount of extras rather than asking people to fork out for extras afterwards. So if you offer it then include it my opinion.

Whilst neither of these are particularly forthcoming with spares, ill focus instead on the other aspect which is compatibility. Whilst these two are not compatible with each other in any way, be it coils, glass sections or drip tips, the Exo is compatible with the original Clietio tank, in that it can use the same coils which are readily available as well as utilise its same RBA deck. You can also purchase resin top caps for the Exo directly from Aspire or from a whole host of aftermarket vendors.

When it comes to the 120 it uses its own coils and RBA deck which won’t fit the Exo or the Original Cleito. You can purchase a “Fat Boy” 5ml glass tank as well as a host of aftermarket resin top caps.

Build Quality and impressions

Exo Dimensions
  • Height 57mm
  • Diameter 23.5mm
  • Capacity 2ml (with the 0.16 coil) or 3.5ml with the 0.4 coil
  • Materials in construction: plastic (PCTG) and SS 304 (tank section)
  • Drip Tip: Delrin
  • Top cap and base: Stainless Steel (SS)304
  • Positive Pin: Gold plated SS 304
  • Airflow: 2 slotted
120 Dimensions
  • Height: 58mm
  • Diameter: 25mm
  • Capacity: 4ml
  • Glass type: Pyrex
  • Base: Stainless Steel (SS)304
  • Top Cap: Delrin
  • Positive Pin: Gold plated SS 304
  • Airflow: 3 slotted
5094240F-5ED8-49A3-97BB-E9889CAFC1DF.jpeg
Simplicity is as the heart of the design for these tanks. Most sub ohm tanks comprise of a coil then a separate chamber/chimney section which then attaches to the coil, however on the Cleitos the coil itself combines these features which means fewer parts when dissembled (4 parts or 5 including coil) translating to fewer stress points and O-rings perishing to worry about compared to some other tanks.
FD801199-DDD9-4487-9697-A7FD4CFA8DDE.jpeg
The finish is better on the Exo over the 120 at least on mine. I had small machine scratches on the base of the 120, although I will say the top of my Exo tank section had a couple of stress points on the plastic perhaps where the top cap was really tight on its arrival.

I would say threading is better on the Exo, for a start its top cap is metal rather than the Delrin on the 120. Being these are both unscrewing top fill designs I’m concerned about early wear and ability to cross thread on the 120. Having said that the metal top cap on the Exo will conduct heat when vaping much more so than the Delrin especially since it’s connected to the coil itself. I would like to have seen a hybrid between the two with metal threads inside the Delrin top cap to have a clear decider on this point. Since there isn’t this option and the fact you don’t get a spare top cap with the 120 ill have to give it to the Exo.

"Assembly" in terms of parts fitting together with no gaps between pieces I’d give both the thumbs up here no issues with either. The O-rings are nice and chunky holding everything in place, and should they perish you get spares in the kits as well.

I won’t talk about looks you can be the judge of that, but in terms of durability the Exo will take more of a beating than the 120 will especially with it being mainly a metal construction throughout. I would say the downside on the Exo is it’s easier to miss when it’s time to refill leading to a potential unexpected dry hit (as I found). This is because of the writing on the window, combine that with writing on the coil and it’s really easy to miss where the level is at unless using dark liquid or vaping in a well-lit area.

There is no glass on the Exo (unlike the 120) rather it utilises PCTG plastic inside the chamber and for the airflow channels. PTCG is resistant to chemicals while being durable with a pretty decent heat resistance; however over a longer period of time I’d still rather have glass especially if I’m running through any citric juices and cooking the coils at higher temperatures on and off. Being it’s solely reliant on hard plastic I found it to make the airflow somewhat turbulent compared to other materials I’ve tried with top airflow.
85845B8E-879B-422E-90C7-FE6F4FAA8EBE.jpeg
The Exo is designed to be leak-proof so the airflow holes are located at the top of the tank. As you inhale air travels between a gaps between inner plastic linings down to a smaller set of outlet holes under the coil, from there it travels round and back up through the centre of the coil. Whilst the design here is great you have to let Aspire take control as you cannot adjust the airflow. I’m pretty pleased with it for the most part (think of it as a slightly restricted draw roughly half way on the AFC of the Cleito 120) although I would say Aspire should look into swappable items to restrict draw if they were to keep using non-adjustable top airflow. Happy to report I’ve had no leaking from either the 0.16 or 0.4 ohm coil provided.

The 120 is in stark contrast, it runs with the traditional airflow ring at the bottom which you can adjust between very airy to very restricted putting you in control. I have found the 120 to suffer from “occasional” condensation leaking using the premade coils. Also perhaps a minor point but the airflow control ring is free turning which does make it difficult to remove the top refill section when disassembling.

Both have Top fill designs although with the Exo there is no refill ring so you do need to watch not to overfill or you’ll suffer gurgling and spitting issues later on. The 120 does have a refill ring with a well to catch slight overfill. I found the 120’s refill port to be a little on the tight side, they could have definitely made this a few mm wider.

Finally Drip tip designs are very similar with the 120 offering a wider bore, but they are both comfortable to use. I would have liked the Exo’s drip tip be a tad taller with its metal top cap. It’s worth noting here the 120’s drip tip differs to the exo as an all in one design with the top cap.
3547C92C-8A8B-4136-95C4-AD2372216FD8.jpeg
How’s the pre made coil vape experience

Using the 0.16 coils first side by side I’d say the Exo had the better flavour of the 2. Both tanks took the equivalent of 8ml of liquid to break their coils in.

I found the Exo to be a somewhat dry vape compared to the 120 although even the 120 is a little dry in comparison to other tanks I’ve used. I’m putting this down to the length of the coil and a lack of chamber containing condensation. Being I was able to adjust the 120’s airflow I felt like I could get a better hit from it without having to ramp up the wattage.

The 0.16 coil makes the Exo TPD complaint and you really notice having to refill its 2ml capacity often compared to using the 120’s 4ml stock size (or 5ml with the fatboy glass).

I was able to push the 120’s 0.16 coil to a much higher wattage than the Exo’s equivalent because the vape became too hot to handle. In fact I even settled for normal vaping 30 watts higher on the Cleito 120 at 110W over the Exo’s 80W.

I did experience vapour/juice lock at times on the 120 using 75% VG liquid leading to dry hits even with juice in the tank. I had poked holes in the cotton and undid the top cap slightly but it didn’t address the issue. What worked for me was replacing the 4ml tank with the separate 5ml “Fat Boy” glass. I’m assuming here that’s because there is more juice pressure around the cotton keeping it nicely saturated as I wasn’t noticing air bubbles being trapped. Since I changed it over, the issue never re-occurred, and I noticed it also kept the tank cooler under chain vaping conditions.
I never experienced any vapour/juice lock issues on the Exo’s stock coils.

The Exo also comes with a 0.4 coil. I switched over to that and again vaped against the 120’s 0.16 coil. I had high hopes for the 0.4 because of the capacity increase from 2ml to 3.5ml and at the same time expected a further restriction to the draw (being it’s thinner inside), but it didn’t seem to adjust airflow at all, in fact I found it more airy than the 0.16! I have no idea whether I had a janky coil in the pack but it I was getting some Spitback and I could only get an “ok” flavoured vape once I wacked it up to 60W or above at which point I could start to detect a dry hit when chain vaping so actually turned out to be a disappointment.

I found both tanks to be thirsty expect to refill often. Finally in this section I found the coil life to be significantly less using the Exo’s 0.4 coil compared to the 0.16 at just over a week of solid use. Using the 0.16 coil both went on for much longer into 3 weeks solid use.

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
What are the aftermarket RBA decks like?

With the stock comparisons out of the way here are my findings using the separately purchased RBA decks

The Exo utilises the same RBA deck as the original Cleito – you get
  • x1 Cleito RTA
  • x2 Pre-installed Clapton coils (0.35-0.45Ω)
  • x8 Grub Screws
  • x1 Allen Wrench
  • x5 Extra O-ring Sets
  • x1 Bag of cotton.
The 120 has its very own RBA deck which is not compatible with either the original Cleito or the Exo – you get
  • Cleito120 RTA.
  • X2 Pre-installed Clapton coils (0.15 – 0.2 Ω)
  • X8 Grub Screws.
  • X1 Allen Wrench.
  • X5 Extra O-ring Sets
  • X1 Bag of Cotton
  • Single Coil adaptor
Other than the single coil adaptor available with the 120 RBA kit these decks are identical in everything other than size, meaning you get more space to build and ability to utilise larger coils on the 120.

AC0057AC-78E1-4D1A-BA97-1E87D3FA69A2.jpeg AB59C8B4-76BD-4ADD-BB3B-D43DB20CFE4E.jpeg 6C626B89-0764-491A-81B5-AA9B1E82C032.jpeg 02D612B5-31B3-4C36-81FF-3F9EC18B2744.jpeg 9C16B50B-9B92-4920-9FEC-A3D629FEF617.jpeg

Both are “veloticy” style decks with the 2 post system (coil legs alternate top and bottom in each post). This system is well established and probably one of the easiest to learn on for new coil builders. The post screws are ok although careful about over wrenching them with the Allen key or they will strip (you get a decent amount of spares in the kits though)

Space is quite tight on these in that the airflow holes are really close to the edge of the deck and you want your coils central over the top of them so I would advise mounting and dry burning the coils first then checking resistance. After that’s done place the top chamber on and check that the coil is not touching the sides, again checking for resistance changes before you wick it. If the coils do touch the casing you’ll get a short which you need to avoid. I personally wouldn’t go bigger than 2.5mm ID on either of these decks.

I used the stock coils that come with the kits since this is probably what you will run with out of the kit. In the Exo RBA deck (Standard Cleito kit) you get a basic Clapton coil (single core with an outer wrap) and on the 120 you get a Fused Clapton (2 core wires with an outer wrap). I think Aspire could have done a better job with the execution of these coils as the outer wrapping isn’t closely spaced, also I had to muck about a bit before these were ready to wick including;
  • Moving them out over the airholes
  • Positioning them further down towards the deck
  • Pinching them closer together so the spacing between each coils wasn’t as drastic,
  • Bending the legs in to clear the wicking channels.
  • Ensure they were glowing evenly by gently dry burning (checking for hot spots)
  • Checking post screws were still in tight
  • After all was said and done the provided coil resistances came out at 0.36Ω on the Exo and 0.17Ω on the 120
There are things you would have to do if mounting your own coils anyway but it would be good if these kits came ready out of the box to give you an idea of the ideal set up especially if new to this whole thing, otherwise you might have a bad experience and be turned away.

In terms of wicking I went with Cotton Bacon my go wicking for most Rebuildable tanks. Wicking is always hard to describe but like any Rebuilable It’s just as important as the coil building process. If after you are done and you get a dry hit or it leaks, other than faulty seals those things are more often than not on you so it might take a few goes to get it right.

Thankfully these are easy to wick assuming you move the coil legs out of the way.
  • I used the “Scottish Roll” method of wicking (google that)
  • Wicking is snug in the coils but not overly tight when I move it back and forth (it shouldn’t really be moving your coil as you do this)
  • I cut to length where the end of the coil will touch the bottom of the wicking well
11FE048F-EA4D-4443-BB0F-96B99F804093.jpeg 000FCFA2-1AEB-4A0F-8B1A-4F4F807C807D.jpeg
  • After I cut the wicks I rake them a little and fluff them up
  • Cut the outside of the wick at an angle following the base of the tank
  • When it comes to feeding them in use tweezers and start from the bottom of the wick and feed in stages, the wick will pull itself in as you go. Don’t overly stuff these wicking channels. When this process starts to feel tight and you have checked there are no gaps, stop you can always trim away the excess sticking out.
  • Inside the wicking channel just push the cotton around to makes sure it’s got even coverage and its not able to stick out of inlets.
  • Now looking at the deck, using your tweezer gently push the cotton away from the bottom airflow holes. If the cotton hangs over the top you’ll get leaking.
2DD7F4FB-8BD3-4E07-994A-159B0E429F10.jpeg E1138133-8871-49F0-8768-D52FDC131E4D.jpeg
  • With all that done juice it up (warm the coil with juice on it to suck juice into the cotton)
  • Reassemble and fill about a third of the way to check everything is working ok (don’t waste valuable juice!)
I found the threading all round to be excellent on both, although I did note a couple of things with the Exo using the original Cleitos RBA deck.

1. You will need to push the Exo’s top cap down to engage the threading rather than place on and screw, this is probably due to the thick O-ring at the top, at first I thought it didn’t actually fit!
  2. Try not to over tighten the top cap. Over time through refilling you can actually start to unscrew the top chamber of the RBA deck which isn’t good if you have juice left in the tank!
How’s the RBA vape experience

Both offer better flavour performance over the stock coils. I didn’t actually notice too much difference between the Clapton and the Fused Clapton’s coils in the flavour dept. except I was able to run the Clapton at a lower wattage due to its higher resistance.

Both RBAs drink quickly so expect to refill often. I stopped detecting that dryer vapour production though.

The draw is a little turbulent but nothing to write home about. I can’t really grumble over either really I found both to perform well.

You will notice they take up a fair bit of space inside and you do get reduced capacity as a result. Whilst there’s little you can do with the Exo I ‘m really happy I also purchased the “fatboy” glass for the 120 it makes all the difference to both the RBA deck and stock coils I haven’t use the 4ml glass once since changing it over, definitely worth the purchase and I wish they included this in the first place,

I noticed a few times that the Exo suffered from juice lock around the airflow holes probably because im using thicker VG (75%). I had to remove the top cap to resolve this issue, it never happened on the 120 using that 5ml glass. Neither tanks leaked a single drop even leaving them with juice all day, as with all Rebuildable wicking is key, as is checking the O-rings are in good condition or have moved out of place.

Final conclusion

So do they live up to their reputation and can they still stand shoulder to shoulder with the latest tanks out there. I would say these are both viable options and get the job done especially keeping in mind the high availability of aftermarket products and coils. I do think it’s fair to say there are tanks that now top these in the flavour department since their release. I find both provide a balance between clouds and flavour rather than excel in one or the other. They are simple to use and maintain and give a decent hit.

If you ever want to have a go at building your own coils then the RBA decks are definitely a viable aftermarket option unlike some I’ve tried, just be patient with wicking as it’s one of those things that comes with experience.

Well with all things considered which one is better? Looking at my review as a whole I would say the Exo offers a higher degree of durability and pushes better flavour of the two using the 0.16ohm stock coils, however lags behind on the Rebuildable side due to juice locking.
As a “jack of trades” with a higher degree of aftermarket options, the ability to dial in the airflow and offer a larger wattage range the 120 wins and is the one I personally preferred using especially with its larger capacity and RBA build deck.

Thank you for reading, I hope this information helps until next time KingPin!

6E5B0BF4-6BE3-43FA-896C-4BF3303A9B6C.jpeg

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Some other pics I wanted to add but couldn’t due to character lock

Base ...wanted to put this one with the scratches bit
9B25E257-4AAB-4D1B-9453-820C2B3D4EE9.jpeg

Wanted to put this one above the stock coil report
723EBFF5-AECC-4E83-BA47-DA3DFEF1BA18.jpeg

This was going to go with the description of the airflow to show smaller airflow slots
F488E606-D294-4471-ABF7-5F309C76D8C0.jpeg

Just wanted to show what they look like stock
DED5AB67-F489-4FD7-84D6-A29D01912275.jpeg

VU Sponsors