Become a Patron!

AUGVAPE Skynet Subohm Tank

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Skynet Subohm Tank from Augvape. The Skynet Subohm Tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Fiona from Augvape.

http://www.augvape.com/product/skynet-sub-ohm-tank/

Introduction

There will be those that think another boring Subohm tank and although i can sympathise to a degree Subohm tanks have now become boring tanks with great flavour since the revolution of Mesh coils. So does the Skynet offer anything different and the answer to that is yes. Flavour with masses of air is what it gives, so those that normally like loads of air and big vapor production can get great flavour to boot. But there is a price to pay and that's not in the price tag as the Skynet is a really good price, so let's crack on and reveal all.

In the Box

Contents:

1 PC Skynet Sub-ohm Tank
1 PC Standard Glass Section
1 PC Mesh 0.15 Coil
1 Bag O-rings

Aesthetics

The Skynet came in a clear plastic square container with domed lid, you can see the fully assembled tank and all the included items without opening. I received the Black version, it also comes in Stainless Steel and Rainbow with all versions having a wide bore frosted 810 drip tip. The overall look is in my opinion very industrial, nothing flash or stand out aesthetic features just a tank that looks like it's meant to be used. The bottom section is quite deep with light texture lines and tri cyclops airflow slots. The base has branding and safety stamps printed in White, the Gold plated 510 is non adjustable but protrudes nicely and is definitely hybrid safe. The top section is just as deep as the bottom and is mainly the juice port section which has a smooth finish, above is the top-cap with a bit more texturing for grip and "AUGVAPE" engraved front and back. The Skynet comes pre-installed with a bulge glass which doesn't really suit the tank, the straight glass looks better but the Skynet isn't trying to win any beauty contests it has more of a fit for purpose look.

Skynet Specs and Features:

24mm Diameter
45.5mm Height
5.1 ML With Bubble Glass Section
3.6 ML With Standard Glass Section
Mesh 0.15 Coil (60-80W Range)
Threaded Top Fill System
Bottom Airflow
Triple Adjustable Air slots
Wide Bore 810 Drip Tip
Simple Design -Splendid Flavor And Affordable
Thread: 510 thread
Colours: Black, Stainless Steel, Rainbow

The Various Parts and Filling

The Skynet breaks down into the usual parts you would expect from a subohm tank. We have a frosted wide bore 810 drip tip on top (your own 810's will fit no problem), followed by the top-cap which is screwed onto the juice port ring. The juice port ring as you would expect also has the air pipe central which the top of the coil screws into. The base has tri cyclops airflow slots with stopper with airflow control ring which moves with perfect resistance. Your coil screws straight into the base section as usual, the glass fits over an o-ring on the juice control section and is sealed by an o-ring on the base section when the tank is screwed together. The pre-installed bubble glass has a capacity of 5.1ml (don't forget about the .1), you also receive a straight glass that has a decent capacity of 3.6ml. The coils you get are both 0.15ohm mesh coils which are rated between 60w and 80w. Filling the tank is a big pro, it has a screw on top-cap which fits quite deep yet due to very spaced threading just half a turn and it's off, very smooth. Once off the 2 juice ports are massive so any bottles can be used no problem just when you fill don't forget about that all important extra 0.1ml of liquid.

The Airflow

The Skynet gives masses of air, it has tri cyclops and the bore on the mesh coil heads are bigger by far than i have seen on a mesh coil head before. This has too much air for me and even closing the airflow down i couldn't get the restriction i prefer. But the flavour is outstanding which is very surprising for such an airy tank. I did mention there is a price to pay for that flavour and it isn't the masses of air as that's just personal preference, in fact it's a big pro that the Skynet produces so much flavour with so much air which will be a big bonus for those that prefer that style of airflow. The price is the money you save from the price of this tank will be needed to invest in some ear plugs, it's loud and i mean very loud. Despite the loudness it's not turbulent in fact while not silky smooth it's smooth enough there's just so much air moving through the centre bore of the coil heads it lets you know it's in town.

Why Such Good Flavour

I have an almost definitely wrong theory for why the Skynet is giving possibly the best flavour i have experienced from a Subohm tank despite all that air which also in my experience usually reduces flavour. I have always found whether it's a coil head in a subohm tank or a build in an RDA or RTA surface area of the coil material and air coverage means flavour, while unused air kills flavour which is why reduced chambers help greatly (no air in the void of the chamber to dilute the flavour). With wire coil heads that have wider bores yes it will increase surface area and the air coverage will not be an issue so flavour will be increased but you don't get the benefit of it because the masses of air going through that central bore kills a lot of the flavour off as it is produced so flavour in my experience is always down when there is loads of air.
We all know by now that mesh produces superior flavour in subohm coil heads and that's down to far greater surface area so i believe when making the bore bigger with a mesh coil head that surface area is being increased that much it just produces that much flavour it's too much for the mass of air to kill off and loses the battle. Please remember this theory is not based on factual evidence, it's just what i personally believe to be happening and many might disagree, but whatever is happening with the Skynet the flavour is a bit special.

My Experince Using The Skynet

A bit of a weird one, the Skynet has far too much air for me and it's loud, very loud. Even when reducing airflow i was unable to get the restriction i like and however you have the airflow ear plugs are the order of the day. Although the Skynet doesn't suit me it will those that like loads of air and are not too bothered about how loud a tank is as long as it's not turbulence. The flavour it gives is outstanding which is surprising with so much air but will be a great bonus for those that like big vapor production who normally have to compromise on flavour.
I personally used the Skynet with the airflow only a third open on 60W which i found best for me but did try it fully open on 80W and the flavour was still tops and seemed more wattage if wanted would be no problem. Another thing more than worth mentioning is the Skynet was flavour from the off with no break in time, looking inside the coil head you can see it's not packed with loads of cotton and doesn't look tightly packed (i find quite often with subohm stock coils just too much cotton is used than necessary).

Good build quality
Aesthetic industrial look
Outstanding flavour for subohm tank
No break in time
Top-fill
Mesh coils
Loads of air (not a personal like but a pro for those that like loads of air)
5.1ml Capacity
3.6ml spare straight glass
Silky smooth spaced top-cap threading (half a turn and off)
Reasonable price

Dislikes

Too much air for my usual restrictive lung hit
Very loud

I would once again like to thank Fiona from Augvape for supplying the Skynet Subohm tank for the purpose of this review.

http://www.augvape.com/product/skynet-sub-ohm-tank/

VU Sponsors