Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
A lithium ion battery doesn't just decide to discharge and/or vent in your pocket
100% of the time YOU fucked up if this happens - 5150

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/29601645/austin-man-says-e-cigarette-battery-exploded-in-his-pocket

"Sadeghy owns an auto glass company. On June 30th, he was installing a windshield when he says he felt a vibration coming from his pants pocket where he had an extra battery for his e-cigarette."

"Attorney James Wood traced the battery to learn it is lithium ion and called the VTC5. It is made by a well-known electronics company, but is widely counterfeited. Wood believes Sadeghy's are counterfeit."

It doesn't matter if it was a fucking trustfire battery, you don't stick a bare 18650 in your fucking pocket!!!!

Like I said above 100% of the time it's the users fault - 5150

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And you certainly don't stick them in your pocket with your change and your car keys....what a dolt....
My late husband found that out when he put a spare battery for his zip drill in his pocket for work. I thought it strange that an electrician didn't know that batteries shouldn't touch metal. o_O

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
8371005_G.jpg

Gee, I don't see and ecig here.
That slick lawyer is going to get schooled in court even if the vape shop owner chooses to represent himself.
I don't even think you could prove where the guy bought the battery from whats left - 5150

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently read a story on Facebook that included an "educational video" about battery safety/storage. A family lost their home due to tossing batteries in a kitchen "junk drawer", a 9v battery had ignited because it was touching something metal. Burned the whole house down! They stated that for loose storage or even if you were throwing a battery away, you should cover the ends with electrical tape to avoid them coming into contact with metal. ANY battery.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gee, I don't see and ecig here.
That slick lawyer is going to get schooled in court even if the vape shop owner chooses to represent himself.

On the contrary: the slick lawyer is really clever: he attaches a totally bland issue (a battery venting in someone's pocket) to a high-profile controversial issue (electronic cigarettes).

Can you imagine how the case would end up if the issue was "electronics enthusiast has battery explode in his pocket"? Most everybody would think the guy's a numbskull and that would be the end of it. But electronic cigarettes being dangerous? Uuh, that makes for a much more interesting headline.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There is a new kid in town when it comes to lawsuits and its name is vaping. Now every idiot and his mother will try to sue and explain how vaping destroyed their life, work, family, etc. Well on the bright side, it means that vaping is finally mainstream o_O.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I recently read a story on Facebook that included an "educational video" about battery safety/storage. A family lost their home due to tossing batteries in a kitchen "junk drawer", a 9v battery had ignited because it was touching something metal. Burned the whole house down! They stated that for loose storage or even if you were throwing a battery away, you should cover the ends with electrical tape to avoid them coming into contact with metal. ANY battery.

I even cover AAA batteries that are dead with tape before I throw them in the trash.
You have empty cans and things in the same trash can the last thing you need is a positive and negative touching together and a spark can ignite the trash can.
If you already left the house when this happens you are fucked.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dude there is a slagged 500k shredder truck sitting in a local junk yard. Well used to be a truck now still a pile of melted slag.
So a store manager thought instead of the extra three steps to ewaste turned in or left over cellphone batteries he would throw them in the document shredder bin.

Stupid fucks with batteries win stupid fucking prizes.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Recently I was completely convinced in the idea that if there is something stupid and unreasonable that could be done with .......... (place a word here ), something that no one would usually even consider, it will be done. Like smoking plastic or trying to mate with a hornet's nest .

VU Sponsors