Become a Patron!

Baby aliens

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've been making mostly 3x28ga aliens with 36 or 38 on the outside. My very first aliens were bigger 3x26/36. Until yesterday those are the only two types I've made.

I wondered if I could make some smaller Baby ones using 3x30ga cores. I tried it out and its probably something that I need to get used to but it works.

The lighting in my house is terrible for taking pictures of my coils. I went outside to get some natural light and took this photo-
20201003_142600(1).jpg
Still can't see the wrap wire too well. Having nothing for scale just makes them look similar but I assure you 3x30 is a thin, baby coil. I have no plans to use them, just wanted to see if it'd work. Maybe the Aegis Boost RBA would like it.

I want to try aliens with only two cores. Those sound easy enough with the risk of collapse eliminated. Can somebody please tell me if this is correct?

If I want to fuse two 26ga cores, I'd use a 28ga de-cored clapton?
If I wanted to fuse two 28ga cores I use a 30ga de-cored clapton?

Has anybody tried a "stitched" alien? I might try that too. I'd also like to make fraliens with 28g frames but my ribbon stack always goes haywire and its so small I can't really tell what's going on. I can do 26ga frames no problemo. Maybe I need glasses or some kind of magnification .

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Smallest aliens I’ve made was 3.32.40...

Such a pain to see wrapping, was done by feel...

I won’t make any Aliens these days above 38 wrap... even with corrected vision very hard for me to see.

Maybe get those jewelers magnifying glasses... to go on top of my glasses

Or one of those 10” round lighted magnifier desk lamps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Smallest aliens I’ve made was 3.32.40...

Such a pain to see wrapping, was done by feel...

I won’t make any Aliens these days above 38 wrap... even with corrected vision very hard for me to see.

Maybe get those jewelers magnifying glasses... to go on top of my glasses

Or one of those 10” round lighted magnifier desk lamps

Have you done two core, just like a fused clapton with alien wrap? I'm going to try that next.

I've wondered if a 40ga alien wrap would be hard so thanks for posting about that. I'm not even going to try it ? .

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you done two core, just like a fused clapton with alien wrap? I'm going to try that next.

I've wondered if a 40ga alien wrap would be hard so thanks for posting about that. I'm not even going to try it .

I’ve made a few sets of dual core aliens... didn’t vape any differently than a fused.

For MTL, I don’t see much of an improvement in those tiny chambers utilizing micro aliens...

It’s an awesome feeling of accomplishment making a set, but beyond that in practical use (mine at least) they’d serve no function

Creature0069

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They look good. I'd rock them in my Berserker or Dvarw.

I usually run fused claptons of the same size wire. I don't have the patience nor the vision to make aliens. lol

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm with @~Don~ on this. Dual core aliens are not worth it if all you want is to make it vape better. If you want to use two cores, just stick to staggered fused claptons (SFCs). IMNSHO, 28/36 Ni80 SFCs vape a lot better than many think. As for going down the rabbit hole of using thinner wire. Purely in terms of how it will vape, choosing 30g Ni80 for tri-cores is not necessarily always a bad idea, as sometimes it can be the best way to get to high enough ohms on a series mech, but there's still a catch... it makes the coils rather fragile and noticeably less durable compared to 29g Ni80. 29/36 tri-core aliens are gosh darn good. And you don't need to go thinner than 38g for the wrap wire. I find that 36g adds a pleasant texture to the vape, whereas 38g makes the vape smoother, but not better IMO... just different. 40g is what I'll use to match the depth of the grooves in a stapled helix build that uses 32g for the frames. Aside from this specific purpose, 40g is for those who try to impress, similar to what @~Don~ was saying about micro shit. :p

VU Sponsors