Become a Patron!

Bad nicotine causes vape tired/sleepy/fatigue

Tigerlore

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, I'm really new to vaping but I've been reading and experimenting a TON over the last month.

I've been suffering from fatigue since I started, especially not wanting to get out of bed in the morning which is not like me at all. I've read a bunch of forum threads on the subject and the common suggestions are diabetes, lack of vitamin D, VG vs PG.

That's not it! It's crappy nicotine! I've been checked recently for diabetes and I take 5k IU of D every day (that's plenty). I've done a ton of experiments with VG vs PG and it doesn't matter. Reducing the nicotine helps, but less just means less sleepy and more means more so.

I have a ton of experience with toxins and detox, and this has all the signs of a toxic substance. Fatigue and frequent urination are two of the most common symptoms of ingesting toxic substances. I'm not saying that nicotine in general is toxic. It probably is, but I spent decades smoking and eight years chewing and never had a reaction like this.

I just flushed everything I had down the sink and it struck me how strong the odor was - I guess you could describe it as peppery. It was bad.

I've just ordered juice from two reputable suppliers - one of them is Nude Nicotine which I've seen is highly recommended on forums for their quality of base nicotine. I'm chewing again until these arrive so I should be detoxed enough by then to test their products and confirm my hypothesis.

The nasty nicotine I got was from Liquid Barn USA. I got it because it was highly ranked in Google search results, and I didn't know better.

Here's a conspiracy theory for y'all: One way to attack vaping would be to dump a bunch of poor quality nicotine on the market and make vapers feel ill. That would generate a lot of social media buzz about vaping being a bad thing. This could be done by creating a site to sell it that ranks high in search results. This would be really easy to do if you had the money and access to already high ranking sites, i.e. if you are rich and powerful.

Keep in mind, vaping doesn't just affect the tobacco companies themselves. It also affects the investors - the big banks, insurance companies, mutual funds etc. It also hurts the big pharmaceutical companies that make patches, gum and lozenges. And all of their investors.

Vaping hurts a lot of very wealthy and powerful people.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Give Carolina Xtract a try. Their process is chemical free. Cold extraction.

Tigerlore

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Give Carolina Xtract a try. Their process is chemical free. Cold extraction.

Thanks. I wish some of the DIY juice blog posts I had read before I started would have stressed the importance of using a quality nic base and listed some of the reputable sellers.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. I wish some of the DIY juice blog posts I had read before I started would have stressed the importance of using a quality nic base and listed some of the reputable sellers.
Yes, Guessing that most people are not as sensitive as we are. You're in the right place now. Look me up anytime. My pleasure, and welcome to VU :)

Tigerlore

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, Guessing that most people are not as sensitive as we are. You're in the right place now. Look me up anytime. My pleasure, and welcome to VU :)

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if sensitivity is a big part of this. I've had a number of issues with chemicals over the years. The bad old days of BPA plastic was a nightmare for me.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, not knowing how long it's been since you stopped smoking, chewing, or what have you, many newer vapers experience more than just detoxing from the manner the nic is delivered, but also detox from the chemicals involved with those means. When I quit smoking and began vaping, I didn't magically feel better, it took time to get all the other crap out of my system.

In this forum, in particular, I've seen quality nic stressed more so, than in others places I've been.

Whatever it is causing the problems for you, good luck, hope you get to feeling better soon.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are several threads and posts here that stress the importance of quality nicotine, and several posts discussing different experiences with different brands. Vaperstek is a very popular, high quality brand among our forum users, as well as NicSelect from Nicotine River. If I'm not mistaken, Liquid Barn sells NicSelect also, which is made for vaping. I have some and it seems to be of the same quality as the NicSelect from NR. Could you have received a bad batch as an isolated incident?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good nicotine can still cause your issue. If your mg are too high, your math is wrong or if you are not shaking the base well before mixing so that hot spots are making the mg too high.

Nicotine is a stimulant and even good nic can cause you to not sleep well at night making you tired during the day if you are getting too much. Caffeine will do the same thing.

Just a thought. And welcome to the forum.

Tigerlore

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, not knowing how long it's been since you stopped smoking, chewing, or what have you, many newer vapers experience more than just detoxing from the manner the nic is delivered, but also detox from the chemicals involved with those means. When I quit smoking and began vaping, I didn't magically feel better, it took time to get all the other crap out of my system.

In this forum, in particular, I've seen quality nic stressed more so, than in others places I've been.

Whatever it is causing the problems for you, good luck, hope you get to feeling better soon.

I quit chewing last year for six months and didn't experience any of these symptoms.

There are several threads and posts here that stress the importance of quality nicotine, and several posts discussing different experiences with different brands. Vaperstek is a very popular, high quality brand among our forum users, as well as NicSelect from Nicotine River. If I'm not mistaken, Liquid Barn sells NicSelect also, which is made for vaping. I have some and it seems to be of the same quality as the NicSelect from NR. Could you have received a bad batch as an isolated incident?

I got the USA Liquid Nicotine from them, not the NicSelect.

Tigerlore

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good nicotine can still cause your issue. If your mg are too high, your math is wrong or if you are not shaking the base well before mixing so that hot spots are making the mg too high.

Nicotine is a stimulant and even good nic can cause you to not sleep well at night making you tired during the day if you are getting too much. Caffeine will do the same thing.

I cut the nicotine down to less than 1 mg and still felt bad. I did a lot of testing. The only thing I haven't tested yet is nicotine that has a reputation for being really good quality and I'm waiting for that to arrive.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cut the nicotine down to less than 1 mg and still felt bad. I did a lot of testing. The only thing I haven't tested yet is nicotine that has a reputation for being really good quality and I'm waiting for that to arrive.

Did you shake the shit out of of the nic base before mixing?

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nicotine is, by definition, a poison. We all know this. But a lot of things are poisonous. Like, oh, alcohol.

Exactly my thoughts, from the rather lengthy description in the original post, it's kind of clear that perception and prejudice can cloud experience and judgment. OP, most nicotine comes from a few originating sources. And, some that people prefer is sourced from the exact same originator as some that they don't like. What the OP is describing as "symptoms" of "bad nicotine" can easily be seen as nicotine withdrawal, which has nothing to do with "quality" of your nicotine source (unless their nominal solution is off).
Nicotine has a peppery, slightly fishy smell and taste. Surprised you never noticed this, OP, especially if you're chewing.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly my thoughts, from the rather lengthy description in the original post, it's kind of clear that perception and prejudice can cloud experience and judgment. OP, most nicotine comes from a few originating sources. And, some that people prefer is sourced from the exact same originator as some that they don't like. What the OP is describing as "symptoms" of "bad nicotine" can easily be seen as nicotine withdrawal, which has nothing to do with "quality" of your nicotine source (unless their nominal solution is off).
Nicotine has a peppery, slightly fishy smell and taste. Surprised you never noticed this, OP, especially if you're chewing.

The USA nicotine that the Liquid Barn sells is unique. It's not USP Grade like most vendors nic.

The Nicselect that Liquid Barn sells is USP grade, and considered good by many.

Tigerlore

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did you shake the shit out of of the nic base before mixing?

I shook it for longer than I thought was necessary; then shook it twice that much again.

Exactly my thoughts, from the rather lengthy description in the original post, it's kind of clear that perception and prejudice can cloud experience and judgment.

Excuse me? A problem with the quality of the nicotine was the last thing I wanted. I bought enough nicotine to last a year or more. I did NOT want to throw that away. If you knew me you'd know how silly the idea of me being persuaded by perception and prejudice is. I listen to everything, but believe nothing without compelling evidence.

I've already commented on nicotine withdrawal, just look further up the thread.

I quit vaping this morning and started chewing. Hour by hour I am feeling noticeably better.

Why wouldn't you be able to consider the idea that poor quality nicotine could make someone feel ill?

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The USA nicotine that the Liquid Barn sells is unique. It's not USP Grade like most vendors nic.

The Nicselect that Liquid Barn sells is USP grade, and considered good by many.
Really? Why would anyone buy non-USP grade? Unless it was as a result of tobacco extracted juice, vaping non-pharma grade seems sort of foolhardy. How much cheaper is it?

Tigerlore

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really? Why would anyone buy non-USP grade? Unless it was as a result of tobacco extracted juice, vaping non-pharma grade seems sort of foolhardy. How much cheaper is it?

Umm, if you're a newb and don't know any better? ;)

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I shook it for longer than I thought was necessary; then shook it twice that much again.

Excuse me? A problem with the quality of the nicotine was the last thing I wanted. I bought enough nicotine to last a year or more. I did NOT want to throw that away. If you knew me you'd know how silly the idea of me being persuaded by perception and prejudice is. I listen to everything, but believe nothing without compelling evidence.

I've already commented on nicotine withdrawal, just look further up the thread.

I quit vaping this morning and started chewing. Hour by hour I am feeling noticeably better.

Why wouldn't you be able to consider the idea that poor quality nicotine could make someone feel ill?
I would, could, and do consider the possibility of tainted nicotine use causing someone to feel ill.

That doesn't preclude being more prudent and cautious about drawing conclusions that bad mouth a product and vendor regardless of the fact that there are any number of other possible causes for the symptoms described.

Tigerlore

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would, could, and do consider the possibility of tainted nicotine use causing someone to feel ill.

That doesn't preclude being more prudent and cautious about drawing conclusions that bad mouth a product and vendor regardless of the fact that there are any number of other possible causes for the symptoms described.

My only reason for making this post is so that people who have had the problems I've had will consider the quality of the nicotine they are using as a possible cause, instead of just giving up on vaping entirely.

I wish I would have seen something like this when I was searching the internet for my symptoms.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My only reason for making this post is so that people who have had the problems I've had will consider the quality of the nicotine they are using as a possible cause, instead of just giving up on vaping entirely.

I wish I would have seen something like this when I was searching the internet for my symptoms.
And that's exactly my point, your symptoms do not point, necessarily, to tainted anything. They can fit withdrawal, they can also fit "overdose".

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

It's not the only non USP Grade on the market and it's not cheaper. There is some that is well liked but expensive.

Non USP can be fine, and in some cases good.

Tigerlore

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And that's exactly my point, your symptoms do not point, necessarily, to tainted anything. They can fit withdrawal, they can also fit "overdose".

I've thoroughly addressed these possibilities already in the OP and in comments I've made. You have no way of knowing how my body would react to poor quality nicotine. I've also already mentioned that I am very sensitive to chemicals.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaping isn't perfect. I have had problems breathing when I first started at 24 mg's. Since I lowered my nic level and tried some other nic I feel fine. A good brand of juice is vaporfi. They use quality ingredients. Many things can cause fatigue. I myself have problems with that as well. Since I quite smoking and started vaping my body changed allot and I can sleep a whole lot better. I actually have a small little 50 watt device I take to bed with me. Also I have Rosacea. Im very sensitive to chemicals. My face turns red from anything I breath.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've thoroughly addressed these possibilities already in the OP and in comments I've made. You have no way of knowing how my body would react to poor quality nicotine. I've also already mentioned that I am very sensitive to chemicals.
You're right, I don't, and neither do you necessarily since there's no way to prove the quality of what you've used. Sensitivity to "chemicals" is quite a broad statement. Everything is "chemical". Water is a chemical. And yeah, it'll make you pee more. Unless you can identify specifically what it is and why it effects you, you can only hurt the community by making unproven and now unprovable accusations. There's no place for feeling and faith in science.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You're right, I don't, and neither do you necessarily since there's no way to prove the quality of what you've used. Sensitivity to "chemicals" is quite a broad statement. Everything is "chemical". Water is a chemical. And yeah, it'll make you pee more. Unless you can identify specifically what it is and why it effects you, you can only hurt the community by making unproven and now unprovable accusations. There's no place for feeling and faith in science.
Drinking a little water, and inhaling a little hexane are not the same tho ;)

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thanks for sharing. Let us know how the new nic works for you.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The new nic will answer the question.

The COA for the USA nic is lacking. It doesn't list anything and the header is for Liquid Barn so we don't even know if an independent company did it. It's not to the standard I see with other vendor COA's. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we don't know what's in it.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Drinking a little water, and inhaling a little hexane are not the same tho ;)
True. They differ greatly in their toxicity. Each person's individual biochemistry is unique to them, to be sure. Doesn't change the fact that accusation hurling based on feelings can only be harmful to the community.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you can't get out of bed in the morning you are either tired, lazy, sick or depressed. Go to a doctor, get more sleep or see a therapist.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
True. They differ greatly in their toxicity. Each person's individual biochemistry is unique to them, to be sure. Doesn't change the fact that accusation hurling based on feelings can only be harmful to the community.
This is just a forum. They're just opinions. All I can do is post information that I hope it helps people. It may or may not. The only harm that can be done to this community is the FDA. I've seen negative reviews for over 6 years. This industry has grown with them bro :)

Tigerlore

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, the sample I ordered from Nude Nicotine arrived. I've been vaping happily away for several days now with no negative effects whatsoever. This is a completely different experience from the other nicotine base I had been using. Not only do I feel good now, but this stuff doesn't have the weird taste and smell that other crap did.

It's quite a relief, and I'm glad I didn't give up on vaping entirely just because my first experience was so terrible.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, the sample I ordered from Nude Nicotine arrived. I've been vaping happily away for several days now with no negative effects whatsoever. This is a completely different experience from the other nicotine base I had been using. Not only do I feel good now, but this stuff doesn't have the weird taste and smell that other crap did.

It's quite a relief, and I'm glad I didn't give up on vaping entirely just because my first experience was so terrible.
Awesome ! Vape on ! :)

Kimtexas1026

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, I'm really new to vaping but I've been reading and experimenting a TON over the last month.

I've been suffering from fatigue since I started, especially not wanting to get out of bed in the morning which is not like me at all. I've read a bunch of forum threads on the subject and the common suggestions are diabetes, lack of vitamin D, VG vs PG.

That's not it! It's crappy nicotine! I've been checked recently for diabetes and I take 5k IU of D every day (that's plenty). I've done a ton of experiments with VG vs PG and it doesn't matter. Reducing the nicotine helps, but less just means less sleepy and more means more so.

I have a ton of experience with toxins and detox, and this has all the signs of a toxic substance. Fatigue and frequent urination are two of the most common symptoms of ingesting toxic substances. I'm not saying that nicotine in general is toxic. It probably is, but I spent decades smoking and eight years chewing and never had a reaction like this.

I just flushed everything I had down the sink and it struck me how strong the odor was - I guess you could describe it as peppery. It was bad.

I've just ordered juice from two reputable suppliers - one of them is Nude Nicotine which I've seen is highly recommended on forums for their quality of base nicotine. I'm chewing again until these arrive so I should be detoxed enough by then to test their products and confirm my hypothesis.

The nasty nicotine I got was from Liquid Barn USA. I got it because it was highly ranked in Google search results, and I didn't know better.

Here's a conspiracy theory for y'all: One way to attack vaping would be to dump a bunch of poor quality nicotine on the market and make vapers feel ill. That would generate a lot of social media buzz about vaping being a bad thing. This could be done by creating a site to sell it that ranks high in search results. This would be really easy to do if you had the money and access to already high ranking sites, i.e. if you are rich and powerful.

Keep in mind, vaping doesn't just affect the tobacco companies themselves. It also affects the investors - the big banks, insurance companies, mutual funds etc. It also hurts the big pharmaceutical companies that make patches, gum and lozenges. And all of their investors.

Vaping hurts a lot of very wealthy and powerful people.

I have noticed some serious fatigue since I started vaping too & have been trying to figure what the cause is, & HOPING it's not related to the vape. How do you know if your juice is made with "crappy nicotine" is my question. I don't DIY (yet) so I buy pre-made juices & have tried so many different brands. Unless they're ALL using crappy nicotine, I wonder if it really is that. I'm curious if maybe nicotine can deplete certain things in our bodies (Vitamin D, B12, iron, etc?). Or, if maybe a vitamin deficiency since I started vaping is just a coincidence. But I've noticed the same thing..... so tired I can't get out of bed in the morning. I've tried not vaping after a certain time to make sure it doesn't disrupt my sleep, but that doesn't seem to help either. Not to mention, I'm not affected usually by stimulants, so even if I vaped right before bed, I don't know if it would do that (for me). I'm desperately researching this topic b/c I DON'T want to give up my vape. LOL

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have noticed some serious fatigue since I started vaping too & have been trying to figure what the cause is, & HOPING it's not related to the vape. How do you know if your juice is made with "crappy nicotine" is my question. I don't DIY (yet) so I buy pre-made juices & have tried so many different brands. Unless they're ALL using crappy nicotine, I wonder if it really is that. I'm curious if maybe nicotine can deplete certain things in our bodies (Vitamin D, B12, iron, etc?). Or, if maybe a vitamin deficiency since I started vaping is just a coincidence. But I've noticed the same thing..... so tired I can't get out of bed in the morning. I've tried not vaping after a certain time to make sure it doesn't disrupt my sleep, but that doesn't seem to help either. Not to mention, I'm not affected usually by stimulants, so even if I vaped right before bed, I don't know if it would do that (for me). I'm desperately researching this topic b/c I DON'T want to give up my vape. LOL
If you've only recently stopped smoking, it could be from that - all the toxins leaving your body, your body having to go through the adjustments of "withdrawal" from all the toxins that cigarettes deliver. That takes a bit of time. Drinking lots of water greatly helps, but only a Dr's opinion and advice, i.e. testing, diet changes, etc... are what you should follow.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You didn't say, but have you checked in with your doctor about your fatigue as well? Could it be something not even vape related, you never know. That would be something I would do.

I know this post is a year old, but it's still relevant today. I have the same problem. I smoked ciggs for over 40 years, and then switched to vaping a couple of years ago to get off ciggs. I was vaping Vapor X brand juice at the time, no side effects. I eventually went back to ciggs a year later, and then back to vaping at the first of this year to try to get off ciggs Again. I was again vaping Vapor X juice. This time I was mixing 11 milligram with 0 milligram to get to 5-6 milligram, Again no side effects, My energy level was fine. Then I got the bright idea that "yeah, I can mix my own" I ordered up all my supplies from the same place as you. Liquid Barn. Read everything I could get my hands on, and mixed up my first batch using the same nicotine as you USA Select. I have been completely fatigued out, Sleep all night and them unwillingly falling asleep for 4-5 during the day. I was beginning to think I had narcolepsy or something.

Bottom line, yes there is someone else out there that has had the same experience with similar life experience and using the same products.

VU Sponsors