Become a Patron!

Banana nut bread

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is one of my basics that i finally think i have nailed down. Let me know what you all think.

Acetyl pyrazine 2%
Brown sugar 2.5%
Banana nut bread 15%

Any suggestions or commentswould be great.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wondering if the AP adds more nutty flavor?
Good idea tho as I have'nt tried it that way yet.
FA Walnut might be another that adds more nuttiness.
TFA Banana Nut Bread has always been just kinda "meh" for me, definitely needs some help.
But, more importantly is that you like it.

BTW, thanks for the share...

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wondering if the AP adds more nutty flavor?
Good idea tho as I have'nt tried it that way yet.
FA Walnut might be another that adds more nuttiness.
TFA Banana Nut Bread has always been just kinda "meh" for me, definitely needs some help.
But, more importantly is that you like it.

BTW, thanks for the share...
I thought th AP would add nuttiness but it really adds a fresh oven baked kinda taste. I havent been able to up the nuttiness i tried hazelnut and almond. I am making a flavoring order soon and will add walnut to the order to try that. Banana nu bread was one of the first flavors in my diy kit. I thought mix a little single flavor and im good. I was wrong but my being bull headed i wont stop til i make it right lol. I have lots of recpes in my books but none with the exception of this is worth showing. I actually feel ashamed at how long it is taking me to get all my recipes right.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I thought th AP would add nuttiness but it really adds a fresh oven baked kinda taste. I havent been able to up the nuttiness i tried hazelnut and almond. I am making a flavoring order soon and will add walnut to the order to try that. Banana nu bread was one of the first flavors in my diy kit. I thought mix a little single flavor and im good. I was wrong but my being bull headed i wont stop til i make it right lol. I have lots of recpes in my books but none with the exception of this is worth showing. I actually feel ashamed at how long it is taking me to get all my recipes right.

Na, don't feel bad, many of us are still tweaking recipes that we started with, lol.
And it takes a while to learn all the different flavorings, brands, strengths, profiles, etc.
You can always ask around here for help with recipe tips or ideas.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
BTW the FW Hazelnut is the tastiest and sweetest brand IMO.
Mix it with CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, 5% each, for a nice treat.
FW Butter Pecan is another one I love and it's great as a stand alone at 10% (simple too).

I think Walnuts are whats normally used in real Banana Bread anywho.

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BTW the FW Hazelnut is the tastiest and sweetest brand IMO.
Mix it with CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, 5% each, for a nice treat.
FW Butter Pecan is another one I love and it's great as a stand alone at 10% (simple too).

I think Walnuts are whats normally used in real Banana Bread anywho.
I mix a lot with fa and some tfa. I am always worried about diacetyl and such. How are fw and cap in that respect.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I mix a lot with fa and some tfa. I am always worried about diacetyl and such. How are fw and cap in that respect.

That's the only problem as most of the really good flavors, to me anyway, have the bad stuff.
Some of them have v2 versions like CAP but I never really liked them to much.
But some ppl here do actually like, and use, them.

SixFiveLive

Member For 4 Years

fw hazelnut has acetoin at <1%. cap vbic is a newer flavor and is supposedly baddy free. you can look at the a/ap status and certificates on capella's site. they only show the ones which don't contain them though, not the levels in the ones that do. companies aren't really adding diacetyl now. just what's naturally occurring in some flavors. Personally, I'm not really concerned with acetoin. Especially at sub 1% in flavors I'll use less than 3% or so of. Obviously this is just a random person on the internets opinion, so do some quality research on what you need to be concerned about. there's really no telling with fw stuff, except where independent vendors have had things tested. BCV show the levels on some of the products they have warnings for, others just say they may contain them. Thanks for sharing your recipe. If you haven't tried, you might get the same results with a lower amount of banana nut bread. maybe half of what you have. somewhere in between half or so, and what you have, the flavor probably goes away, and you've gone past that to it's next point of being able to taste it.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you haven't tried, you might get the same results with a lower amount of banana nut bread. maybe half of what you have. somewhere in between half or so, and what you have, the flavor probably goes away, and you've gone past that to it's next point of being able to taste it.

My other BNB recipe I used 8%, but I thought I'd try this one "as is" just to find out for sure.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I started with 0.5% to try it:D.

Yes...it would be best to start a little lower and add if needed. I was estimating by looking at the recipe in this thread and the amount of banana nut bread used :) But I am by no means even close to an expert.... still have a LOT to learn.

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well here is my process from my notes formed in a time line.

5% tfa bnb simple but not a lot of flavor

Week later no change

2 weeks no change (vape it anyway)

New batch 7% (more glavor but still weak)

Week later no change add 1%

Repeat 1-2% checking at addition and at one week. Hit 13 and now i was close hit 15 and tasted ok. Not alot of the suddle undertone bnb has tho so to give more nutty flavor Add AP at 2% in new batch.
Suddenly it is like a fresh baked taste. Not alot of a dark tone tho so i add brown sugar at 1% wait and bump to 2 after. Week. I added the half % this last time because i played the ap and brown sugar and noticed a significant increase with a few drop rather than the whole percent. Took both ap and brown sugar upto 5% and played back and fourth now for several batches and settled back here. My fear is if i lower the weak bnb from 15 that it will disappear again. Should i leave the other 2 where they are and start at 7 and do my week +1% and see how it goes?

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By the way if anyone mixes up a batch of this please let me know what you think and any suggestions.

SixFiveLive

Member For 4 Years
If that % works for you, and you've at least tried it lower, then that's good. I was only concerned if you had just jumped in at 15%. I have a lot of BNB to use up, so I'll try this next time I mix. Maybe I wasn't using enough to get it to my liking. Thanks again for the post.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This is one of my basics that i finally think i have nailed down. Let me know what you all think.

Acetyl pyrazine 2%
Brown sugar 2.5%
Banana nut bread 15%

Any suggestions or commentswould be great.

Tried this out finally and the AP is definitely too high at 2%, tasting more like Fritos.
Probably needs to be around 0.5-1%.

VU Sponsors