Batman Begins Writer Praises 'Detective Angle' in Matt Reeves Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Batman Begins writer David Goyer has praised the team behind Matt Reeves' The Batman for crafting a noir-driven story that highlights Bruce Wayne's detective skills.

Speaking to IGN, Goyer, who co-wrote the screenplay for Batman Begins and also has story credits on The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, confirmed that he had watched the Robert Pattinson-led reboot and that he "really liked" several different elements of the film, including the cast performances and the style of the story, specifically its "detective angle."

"I think Matt Reeves is a very good filmmaker," Goyer asserted. "I had no idea what I would think of [Robert] Pattinson but I liked him. And I was like, I buy it. He's a different take on it. But I buy it. I thought the chemistry with Zoë [Kravitz] was amazing. I liked how Noir it was and I liked that they went in the detective angle and I liked what they did with Riddler. I liked it."

Goyer likened watching various Batman iterations to reading different comic book runs because each version offers something new. He explained: "When you read comic books... you read like so and so's run or like, Ed Brubaker's run on Daredevil. And even after [Brian Michael] Bendis' and they're different where you're like, Oh, I like that one. Oh, I like that one."

Before The Batman was released in March, Reeves shared his ambitions to create an incredibly personal story that felt like an "odd throwback" to the movies he grew up with in the '70s. He specficially referenced 1971's Klute and 1974's Chinatown as two classic neo-noir detective films that inspired the direction he wanted to take on his DC Comics reboot.

IGN's review of The Batman commended this approach, saying it resulted in "a gripping, gorgeous, and, at times, genuinely scary psychological crime thriller that gives Bruce Wayne the grounded detective story he deserves." Pattinson will return to reprise his role as Bruce Wayne in the sequel to the 2022 film, which was previously announced at CinemaCon.

Adele Ankers-Range is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors