Batman Comic Writer Promises 'The Scariest Riddler of All Time'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The writer behind an upcoming Batman comic in the One Bad Day series has promised "the scariest f**king Riddler of all time".

Eisner winning long-term Batman writer Tom King has partnered with artist Mitch Gerads to deliver the Riddler's One Bad Day, part of a new "definitive" series of 64 page one-shot comics featuring several Batman villains including Two-Face, Penguin, and more.

The One Bad Day name is a reference to The Killing Joke, one of the most famous one-shot comics of all time featuring perhaps the darkest version of The Joker, in which he says "all it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy".

Just announced. @MitchGerads and I are giving you the scariest fucking Riddler of all time. #BatmanOneBadDay THE RIDDLER, a new 64 page OGN out in August. Some questions don’t have answers. pic.twitter.com/4aYOmTkjhw

— Tom King (@TomKingTK) May 17, 2022

Gerads reiterated his creative partner's message in another tweet, saying the comic is his "genuine long-time dream book, and Tom King delivered the absolute perfect script for it.

"I’ve never been this excited to get a book into your mitts! I’ve been putting everything I have into every page. The Riddler is TERRIFYING."

The Riddler comic is the first in the One Bad Day series and is due to release this August. Though neither King or Gerads said much else, DC has given an official plot synopsis that certainly sounds similar in premise to The Killing Joke.

"Edward Nygma’s meticulous rules and systems go out the window when he kills seemingly at random, but Batman isn’t buying it.," it said. "This tense intellectual thriller sees Batman unravel as he tries to decode the Riddler’s motivation."

The Riddler first appeared in 1948 and, like most DC characters, has gone through countless iterations, some light-hearted and some less so.

The villain was central to the latest film reboot, with Matt Reeves' The Batman definitely falling on the darker side of things with his serial killer version of The Riddler.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer who occasionally remembers to tweet @thelastdinsdale. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors