Become a Patron!

Batteries and various configurations

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I’m curious about different batteries and their configurations when it comes to mechs. I understand in parallel that the voltage output is the same as one cell and the amps double, and in series it is the opposite.

So if that statement is correct, which batteries do you prefer, 18650 vs 21700, and in what configuration i.e. single, series, or parallel?

I’m looking at getting a mech and I’m not sure if I should go for a single 21700 or a series 18650. I know that I would have to build differently for different configurations. This is all just very confusing and I’m not sure what would be best.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have all three configurations and most of my vaping is on single cell mechs.

For you starting out I would go with a single cell 21700 mech. Samsung 30Ts can handle 35 Amps, so you can build low if you want.

If you go series 18650 I would get Samsung 20S 30 Amp cells and not build too low of a resistance. The series would be a hotter vape.

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Well I already have a little 21700 squonk mech, but it’s a little cheap one, so I want something made with better materials in hopes that it will hit a bit harder.

I understand that the build will dictate a lot of how it hits, but also better contacts and all will help.

I assume eventually I will end up getting several mechs, so I should probably just go ahead and dive right in.

Was just kind of wondering what the better setup is i.e. would a series 18650 perform better than a single 21700? I’d also probably like to get a parallel 21700.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
"Performs" = preference of the vape to be achieved.
If you build to within a single batteries amps then parallel runs longer, obviously.
Series mech is for higher ohms. I haven't used one, but I believe the resistance would start around .4 so a series deck if dual coils..look into that if you haven't already. A stacked mod could do series. I like the form factor of Saga Mini even though seems a bit tall for 18650.

Last edited:

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
As always thank you so much Vape Fan! You are an excellent member because you always give great advice and you’re patient with newbs like me. I really think it helps with building the vape community, rather than making people feel stupid and causing them to shy away from the more advanced gear and techniques.

I was definitely eyeing the Saga or the Saga Mini, but I never even thought to buy a series atomizer. I knew about them, but it never even crossed my mind.

I’ll have to keep doing my homework, but as we all well know, I’ll probably just end up with one of each type of mech. I see now why people like them so much.

Vape on people!!!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For series you can go with a 0.28 Ohm build and that would be pulling 30 Amps and 252 Watts. That would be one heck of a hot vape.

The math in case you're interested... Volts is 8.4 (4.2+4.2), Amps is 30 with 20S batteries. Ohm's Law E=IR (I'm old school) so solving for R: R=E/I, R=8.4/30=0.28. Watts Power Law: P=IE, P=8.4*30=252

Here's a handy site that will help with builds and all the math: http://www.steam-engine.org/

The infamous Ohm's Law/Power Law chart:
1672969470432.png

VU Sponsors