Become a Patron!

Batteries while camping in hot weather

nancyemac

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm headed to a music festival for the long weekend & will be camping. Looks like the weather is gonna be in the high 80's F and scattered thunder storms. Until now, I've used a Kbox 70 that has the batteries built in & charges via usb. In preparation for 5 days without a real power source, I bought a new Vapor Flask Stout, stocked up on 26650 batteries, MXJO, 4200mah, all have legit authentication codes. 8 of them - I vape a lot and will end up smoking analog cigarettes if my vape dies. I also ordered some plastic cases that hold 2 batteries each so they won't be loose in a pocket or bag.

I feel like leaving them in a hot tent is probably as bad as leaving them in a hot car... Discreetly placing them in the shade, maybe in a bag with food or other camping gear, is the best I've been able to come up with. Or carrying them with me all the time, in a small backpack, stored in the plastic battery cases.

I want to be as safe as possible. Does anyone have any other safety suggestions? This is my first mod with a removable battery, and I recognize how powerful a 26650 is.

Thank you! :)

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Keep them in an insulated cooler. The heat won't penetrate as fast by night fall.

nancyemac

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Keep them in an insulated cooler. The heat won't penetrate as fast by night fall.
Do you mean like the beer cooler? with ice? Probably double-bagged in ziplocks? I had not even thought of the cooler since it is wet. :)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
nah, too much danger of your batteries getting wet and ruined. I'd just keep them in their storage containers in a shady location.

Amanda has a good idea with the above.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you mean like the beer cooler? with ice? Probably double-bagged in ziplocks? I had not even thought of the cooler since it is wet. :)
Well, any cooler. Doesn't need ice, so a small one that keeps the extreme heat out. Heck, just put a cold drink can in with them, to keep the air inside cool. Haven't had issues with one sitting in my flashlight, in my truck console, in the south Florida heat.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
80's and T-storms? The tent should be fine. Not a good idea to ever store batteries in a car, when the suns out.

FWIW, it will be 100 or so today. the inside of my house the the AC on full will not get below 75 till about October.

Keep you batteries dry and out of the sun. By the way, Cold, causes batteries to drain.

VU Sponsors