Become a Patron!

Battery Safe - Amps/Volts Changing?

uncledave

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a
clear1x1.gif
Joyetech Cuboid 150W with a .4 ohm Aspire Cleito and two 3.6v 18650 LG HG2 Batteries, using DIY PG-free e-juice. I have the Cuboid set on the watts setting because I've been trying different levels between 45 - 80 watts to find a sweet spot. When I change the watts, my 3.6v batteries change automatically,between 4.7-5.3v or so. Also, when I fire, the amps climb up to 12 or so. My question is this: regarding all the calculators and charts and graphs and specs out there on battery safety, how am I supposed to find or stay in a safe zone if all those variables change automatically? Is the Cuboid made to adjust itself based on the batteries and vaping style?

Thank you in advance for helping me keep my face intact.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
3.6V is the nominal voltage, it's 4.2V fully charged. Most of the calculators are for mechs, where the battery is directly connected to the atomizer and where battery voltage and atomizer resistance directly control amperage draw. In your Cuboid it's the chip that's directly connected to the battery and it controls the voltage output and amperage draw. It uses a boost circuit to provide the voltage needed to produce the wattage setting. The amp draw actually goes up as the battery voltage falls as the chip uses more amperage to produce that voltage needed. The opposite of a mech mod. In the 150W edition Joyetech calls for a minimum of a 20 amp cell, which you have. If you update to the 200w firmware or regularly run at more than 130-140W or if amp draw displays more than a 20 amp draw then a 30 amp cell would be needed. At 80 watts and 12 amps you are well within the safety margins of your batteries.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, the Cuboid is a regulated mod. You still need a battery capable of meeting the chips requirements or at least the demands you put on it but safety elements not available on a mech are built into the chip such as reverse battery protection and short protection. And of course with the Cuboid you have temp control.

VU Sponsors