Ben Affleck Says Matt Damon Helped Him Quit Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Ben Affleck has had a difficult time playing Batman over the years, and the actor has now revealed more about his decision to part ways with the character. Speaking to his longtime friend and colleague Matt Damon for an interview on Entertainment Weekly, Affleck reiterated how difficult it was filming Justice League.

"I had a really nadir experience around Justice League for a lot of different reasons," Affleck said. "Not blaming anybody, there's a lot of things that happened. But really what it was is that I wasn't happy. I didn't like being there. I didn't think it was interesting. And then some really s---ty things, awful things happened. But, that's when I was like, I'm not going to do that anymore."

In fact, Affleck says his Good Will Hunting partner helped him realize he needed to move on to other projects.

"I talked to you about it and you were a principal influence on that decision," Affleck said. "I want to do the things that would bring me joy. Then we went and did Last Duel and I had fun every day on this movie. I wasn't the star, I wasn't likable. I was a villain. I wasn't all the things I thought I was supposed to be when I started out and yet it was a wonderful experience. And it was all just stuff that came along that I wasn't chasing."

Affleck has previously said that filming Justice League was a "very, very, very hard experience" that led to a relapse in drinking, and his decision to pull out of the planned Batman solo movie. The actor is set to appear in the upcoming Flash movie as the Caped Crusader, and Affleck said filming those scenes, "put a really nice finish on my experience with that character”.

Affleck first donned the cowl for 2016's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, later appearing in 2017's Justice League, and, of course, the infamous Snyder Cut of the same film. His appearance led to a number of internet jokes, including the "Sad Batman" meme. The Flash movie will mark his final appearance as Bruce Wayne. For more, check out the latest trailer for The Flash, which shows off Michael Keaton's Batman, who is also returning for the movie.

Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN. You can find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors