Become a Patron!

Best beginner coil builds? (What do you wish someone had told you before you started building?)

Redchigh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still waiting on my friend to sell me the bulk of my startup gear- including a tank- so I'll just extend my 'planning phase'. I'm looking to get some ideas on simple coils to build. I'll have several decks to build on my tfv4 with- single, dual, quad, and others.

I'll have small amounts of titanium (don't know the gauge) and 26 kanthal.

I assume a basic single coil build, 4-5 wraps, on a 5/64" screwdriver (1.9 mm) for a first coil, *should* put out something close to 1.0 - .9 resistance i think.

Test fire, wick, assemble, and start around 8-10 watts and play around.

After I build a few coils, what should I do next? The same coils in a dual coil deck, and try legit subohm?

Any advice for a newbie?
I really hope my friend comes through, it'll kill my soul if the mod comes in first and I still don't have batteries, charger, or a tank, and I just get to stare at the beautiful, lonely, ipv and vape fluid before going out to buy another pack of smokes.. Maybe this thread will distract me.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
With the titanium do not test fire, that can create some nasty compounds. And only use the titanium in temp control mode, not in watts. 6 to 8 spaced wraps would work for the Ti. steam-engine.org is your friend for ohms guidance. For the kanthal an 8 wrap would come in around 1 ohm.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing.... but then I started vaping when subohm was still dangerous.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'd wish someone has told me not to start with titanium wire. It is a bit trickier for beginner, imo. I've spent a lot of time trying to make it work. Start with kanthal and use steam-engine. And the wicking ' not too loose, not to much'

marco67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That silica rope was available,,started on SS mesh..

ThatFrigginBlondeGirl

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try starting out with a 28g kanthal, 26 is fairly slow to ramp up, especially if you are starting out at lower wattages. If you have yet to build anything, maybe try a single coil on an rda or rta first just to get the hang of it. I made the mistake of just wrapping coils and dropping them in without dry burning them when I started out about a year and a half ago. Important, get yourself a pair of tweezers with ceramic heads, they have them on myvaporstore.com or any place that sells vaping accessories. Make sure when you dry fire (start at maybe 15-20 watts) and work those coils until they heat uniformly. If you notice a spot that glows harder, try gently squeezing the coil together by the ends. A great way to get rid of hotspots (this is just personal preference) is to take a hex or even a flathead (hex works better) and insert it into the coil and gently strum the inner diameter in circles, just rotating the hex so that it lightly strums the inside of the coil. Just do not strum while firing, and let them cool before strumming. I would def start with kanthal, let yourself get used to working with that metal before the titanium. SS is a great option as well, but takes a bit more effort to heat evenly. If you have any questions, just ask! :bingo:

VU Sponsors